6 pulse 2 machineguns it runs alright.

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

In truth, Blackjacks are severely hindered by one simple fact: Their major perk is the ability to flip their arms and shoot backwards. We don't have that. Therefore, the sole greatest merit of the Blackjack is lost to us.

#43 GingerBang

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Airport Hilton

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

i average 400-600 damage per game with 2 ac/2's and 4 small lasers. You can tear down an atlas in less than 5 seconds if you land all your shots.

#44 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

I agree, my most frustrating vent is that the thing needs more horizontal twist for most effective shenanigans. 120 degrees sounds right.

#45 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostPyrrho, on 06 August 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

I agree, my most frustrating vent is that the thing needs more horizontal twist for most effective shenanigans. 120 degrees sounds right.

Closed beta K-2 twist! 170 degrees to make up for lack of arm-flip! >.> But yeah 120 sounds about right.

#46 El Death Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 August 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

In truth, Blackjacks are severely hindered by one simple fact: Their major perk is the ability to flip their arms and shoot backwards. We don't have that. Therefore, the sole greatest merit of the Blackjack is lost to us.

the high set arms on the Jagermech and Backjack (even more so on the black jack) as well as 4 extra crit slots are very advantageous for ballistics and PPCs and Large lasers. the long range fire power with minimum exposure is my bread and butter. 2 favorite mechs for that very reason. (not a brawler)

Edited by El Death Smurf, 06 August 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#47 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

View PostKoniving, on 06 August 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Closed beta K-2 twist! 170 degrees to make up for lack of arm-flip! >.> But yeah 120 sounds about right.

That would be pretty awesome, but it does raise the problem of overlapping with the Hunchback's perk. Still think it's worth it, since it's as close to the TT perk as we can probably get in a Mechwarrior game.

It does seem like the DC would be a lot better if MGs were made OK. I probably still wouldn't buy one, but if they at least fixed the cone of fire that would go a long ways.

#48 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Largest standard engine, 2MG, 4MPL, 2SL.

#49 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostZerberus, on 31 July 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

After all consideration, I would like to say that if you`RE going for either 2x AC10 or even a 2xAC20 jokebuild, it would be a shame to waste a bj-1 on that.

BUT: I must admit that the dakka from leveling it with dual UAC-5s and max engine was quite glorious, and that build has to forego JJs anyway to have (barely) enough ammo.... But It may well be the best use of a DC there is.... http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cb0c2d3f0b74ee4

But again, nothing the BJ-1 can`t do jsut as well or better. :(
Exactly. I run this build on mine just because it is so ammo hungry, but I think now it is useless with 12v12s coming into play.

#50 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostLyoncet, on 07 August 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

That would be pretty awesome, but it does raise the problem of overlapping with the Hunchback's perk. Still think it's worth it, since it's as close to the TT perk as we can probably get in a Mechwarrior game.

It does seem like the DC would be a lot better if MGs were made OK. I probably still wouldn't buy one, but if they at least fixed the cone of fire that would go a long ways.

Actually you might be surprised at how overpowered MGs are.

Next time you go to use them, remember to Never, Ever lead the MGs. Treat them like lasers. Point at the target, press the trigger, stay on target. Give it a try, you'd be surprised. I did great with the 0.4 per second MGs, like over 500 damage great using just 4 MGs and 4 flamers (with a chain fire trick to never raise my heat).

I did awful with the 0.8 MGs because I ditched the flamers. As in even with ACs I couldn't reach 500 damage, and my 90% accuracy dropped to 30% or lower. This is because without the flamers, I could see the particle effect of the bullets, and began leading them. They only count if you are pointed at the target.

Once Prosperity Park explained it to me, I began reaching scores of over 900 with SLs and 2 MGs.

This might be a fun read, too.

#51 Greliphant

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I enjoy this build but i just pug. I'm sure in the organized group meta game mediums in general are mostly wrothless. edit: Nm wrothless works...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f389feacae7c5a

Edited by Greliphant, 17 August 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#52 FallowynRelic

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

i've been working on a good loadout for this one, i am kid of ticked about the customization for this game..I wonder when we will be able to accually build fully custom mechs. because even though you can swap out weapons and stuff you are still limited to the mechs hard points...if i remember right in BT the only mechs limited by hardpoints where omnimechs innersphere mechs did suffer these limitations and that gave them a sort of edge over the clans superior firepower and and lighter tech and range.....unless this game is set in the lost tech era then the clans wouldn't even exist yet. and we would just be trying to find spare parts for mechs lol

#53 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

The 1DC is my best performing BJ, I have all BJ except the 1X.

My current build has:
2 AC/2 w/ 5t
6 SLaz
235 XL
12 DHS

I used to run it with 200 XL with 7t ammo and an extra DHS, but found the extra 15kph from bigger engine more handy at dodging LRM and repositioning.

With 375 shots of AC/2, split between 2 guns that is about 187 group fire. If I do run out of ammo Im still fast enough to chase down targets with 6 SLaz as a last resort.
The BJ doesn't have alot of amour even as medium goes.

I sometime run the BJ1 with similar build and replace the 6 Slaz with 2 Mlaz, the MLaz gives it better reach but for lower damage(18 vs 10).

#54 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

View PostTygerLily, on 01 August 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

The -3 and the -1 jump, the -1X can get to 116kph with speed tweak, the DC seems to be the cheapest and the most versatile for loadouts. Only the -DC and the -1 get ballistics and it has the same number of energy slots as the -3. It's about 14,000 cbills cheaper than the -1X, 225,000 than the -1, and 870,000 than the -3.

Whether that's worth it?? Up to you!

I'd say whatever loadout you like on the -1 or -3, put it on the DC and use the lost jump jet tonnage for armor, ammo, or heatsinks.

so weird tyger...I'm like "I'll go to last unread in this thread, and here your post is on the second page

8D

anwyays, what Tyger said :D

#55 Drakari

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostFallowynRelic, on 17 August 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

i've been working on a good loadout for this one, i am kid of ticked about the customization for this game..I wonder when we will be able to accually build fully custom mechs. because even though you can swap out weapons and stuff you are still limited to the mechs hard points...if i remember right in BT the only mechs limited by hardpoints where omnimechs innersphere mechs did suffer these limitations and that gave them a sort of edge over the clans superior firepower and and lighter tech and range.....unless this game is set in the lost tech era then the clans wouldn't even exist yet. and we would just be trying to find spare parts for mechs lol

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around; the omnimechs could swap around their "pods" freely to effectively have pretty much any hardpoint configuration they wanted while IS mechs couldn't do that and their advantages were... Well, I haven't figured that part out yet.

#56 Thalynos

• Pip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOntairo, Canada

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

I use a 1dc with 5 ml and a Gauss rifle(3 tons of ammo) xl 235engine. It feels nice, but it mostly just scampers about near larger mechs and shoots people who aren't paying attention.

#57 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Actually you might be surprised at how overpowered MGs are.

Next time you go to use them, remember to Never, Ever lead the MGs. Treat them like lasers. Point at the target, press the trigger, stay on target. Give it a try, you'd be surprised. I did great with the 0.4 per second MGs, like over 500 damage great using just 4 MGs and 4 flamers (with a chain fire trick to never raise my heat).

I did awful with the 0.8 MGs because I ditched the flamers. As in even with ACs I couldn't reach 500 damage, and my 90% accuracy dropped to 30% or lower. This is because without the flamers, I could see the particle effect of the bullets, and began leading them. They only count if you are pointed at the target.

Once Prosperity Park explained it to me, I began reaching scores of over 900 with SLs and 2 MGs.

This might be a fun read, too.

As usual, Koniving is right - machine guns are more power than one might think, though they generally are not a primary weapon (outside of builds with over half their weapons in machine guns.) Lasers are another good way to stay focused with machine guns since they are also hit-scan weapons and basically act as "laser pointers" for everything else. My Hunchback 4G runs with 3 medium lasers, an LBX10, and 2 machine guns with a standard 250, etc. and it does nicely.

As for Blackjacks, more torso twist would be nice and come about as close to the arm flip as we'll probably see. I haven't played them, but the jump jets always seem key when fighting against them.

#58 Gurren913

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:24 PM

I have found reasonable success using the UAC/5 and a PPC on the 1-DC, but I have been boomjacking in it recently. I think it's niche is that it was the cheap option, for people to get their first BJ (And that is a sexual euphemism) and start jacking people off (and again). Overall its the newbie BJ and without any fancy jumpjets and good quirks (25% ballistic cooldown and -25% ballistic heat is great for an AC/20). It's reliable, simple, and cheap.

#59 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostKoniving, on 06 August 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

You can change the title by clicking use full editor after editing your post.

Oh! Thanks for that. Fixed.

3 years later.

Gurren913, you thread necroing scamp you. Posted Image You get likes for that.

Edited by juxstapo, 10 January 2016 - 09:53 PM.

#60 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

I've never piloted a Blackjack, but I do wondering considering the variant being described to me... Could it be better off with using a smaller engine and loading up on weapons? Being a support to the slower teammates, rather than treated almost as a fast mech?

My example would be the Wolfhound. Yes, I know that they can go fairly fast, but I find my Wolfhounds work best with a slower standard engine and more weapons/cooling... Could that be a think for this lone Blackjack Variant?

Then again, I still feel that a mech doesn't need a purpose to be in the game. It should be able to be in the game just because it can be. I want to see ALL the mechs! Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users