40 replies to this topic

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

When is PGI going to do something about the majority of players playing Assaults? Their heat "solution" isnt working. You still get hit by the PPC boats. There is no reason to play a light or medium with the present meta.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Again... The problem is pinpoint alphas. They destroy medium mechs in 2-3 hits. Increasing heat on PPCs isn't going to fix anything, its just going to shift the meta away from pure PPCs to PPC/Gauss and the same problem with pinpoint alphas will continue to plague the game. Heat was never the problem, and it's not the solution either.

PGI needs to remove all of their heat penalty crap and implement a proper solution. Basically what it comes down to is PGI either has to reduce the effectiveness of converging weapons (i.e. random cone of fire) OR they need to increase armor/structure (or alternatively add some kindve % based damage reduction system). Those are the two options and they need to pick one.

Edited by Khobai, 29 July 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#3 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostmiSs, on 26 July 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Another thing we are looking at (as you may have heard recently), is tonnage restrictions on teams. Each team will have a minimum and maximum tonnage that their total team weight will have to adhere to. This makes Mediums and Lights highly beneficial as it allows heavier Heavies and Assaults to be fielded. The great thing about tonnage limits is that it prevents an entire team to consist of all Heavies/Assaults.

#4 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

tonnage limits will force mediums into games but it wont make them equal to heavies or assaults. theyll still be inferior and thats wrong. all weight classes should be equally effective in their own way.

#5 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Bring a light, ask your team mates to draw the assaults into the middle of the map, and then cap them. It seems to work a whole lot of times. B)

#6 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Heavies are the new mediums.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

The real problem is how do you solve the assault issue if everyone likes bringing assaults? A lot of us want other people to run fewer assaults, but aren't willing to do the same.

Despite what some people claim, matchmaker does try to balance weight. If you bring 4 mediums, you are going to skew the weight of the enemy team down. Conversely, if you and all your friends are bringing heavies and assaults, you're going to be treated to the same thing. It's not 100%, but it tends to be pretty close most of the time.

So until PGI adds something like hard weight limits, I suggest making sure you and your friends run lighter.

#8 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

I would play a medium if it didnt go the same speed as a heavy, die in 2 hits, and barely have more weapons than a jenner.

#9 Tor6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostJman5, on 29 July 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

The real problem is how do you solve the assault issue if everyone likes bringing assaults? A lot of us want other people to run fewer assaults, but aren't willing to do the same.

Despite what some people claim, matchmaker does try to balance weight. If you bring 4 mediums, you are going to skew the weight of the enemy team down. Conversely, if you and all your friends are bringing heavies and assaults, you're going to be treated to the same thing. It's not 100%, but it tends to be pretty close most of the time.

So until PGI adds something like hard weight limits, I suggest making sure you and your friends run lighter.

You fix people wanting to play nothing but assaults by making assaults not as good. Because right now they're way too nimble when fitted with a big *** engine. They don't need that much support from lighter, faster units because they have fast enough torso twist and turn speed to pick things off even when flanked.

#10 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Most people bring asslt mechs because dying fast isn't very fun, and they tend to hold up longer.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

When playing in a medium... I feel like I'm playing in a completely different ELO bracket (which probably isn't actually far from the truth).

#12 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostKhobai, on 29 July 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

tonnage limits will force mediums into games but it wont make them equal to heavies or assaults. theyll still be inferior and thats wrong. all weight classes should be equally effective in their own way.

Mediums are never supposed to equal heavies or assaults in terms of killing power. The problem is (with the current PPC meta too) multiple assaults being in the way. Having more mediums and lights means less assault and heavy/spam builds to kill the bad/new medium pilots quickly.

For the record, I've been having lots of success with the 4sp, you just have to play differently.

Edited by jakucha, 29 July 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#13 SickerthanSars

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I believe an even bigger issue with this is I tend to notice 9 times out of ten the people in mediums are playing them as if they are playing heavies/assaults.

IE not trying to flank or do any kind of maneuvering at all, running ahead of their assaults, that big meatshield known as an atlas isn't going to do much for you when you run ahead of it, outside its ecm range, through no cover, straight at the enemy team..this is usually followed by a game long rant about how broken/bad the game is

#14 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Mediums are never supposed to equal heavies or assaults in terms of killing power.

Obviously. I said all weight classes should be equally effective in their own way. What mediums lack in killing power they need to make up for in versatility which is currently lacking.

#15 Kushko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

I think they should put in dropship mode where you could pick up to 4 mechs to use in a single match and just respawn as a new mech every time you lose one but limit the max tonage of your 4 available mech slots to something like 200-220tons.

Then people would have to make a choice; bring 2 assaults and a light/medium and only have 3 "lives", bring 1 assault 1 heavy and 2 lights? 2 heavys 2 mediums? Etc.

This would go a long long way in the current weight class diversity problem.

*edit* I dont however think that the game modes we currently have should get max weight limit as that will just further mess with an already shaky matchmaking system. Instead of putting limitations in they should work on better rewarding light, medium and to some extend heavy mechs playstyle.

Edited by Kushko, 29 July 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#16 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sometimes running my erppc gauss DDC does get boring, so I take my gauss LRM DDC out for a few rounds. It's a nice change of pace. In 20 games, I might "not" drive a DDC, once or twice.

They are pretty bad-a$$. Having a few is convenient too. You can put artemis on one, massive DHSs on another, and you never have to change load-outs between matches.

#17 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

reduce agility; turn rate twist rate

for heavies and assaults

Edited by Tennex, 29 July 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#18 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostKhobai, on 29 July 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Obviously. I said all weight classes should be equally effective in their own way. What mediums lack in killing power they need to make up for in versatility which is currently lacking.

What mediums lack in killing power, they are supposed to make up for in cost. One on one, a hunchback shouldn't be able to take down an atlas, even with a bunch of flanking shenanigans. However when you can bring 2 hunchbacks for that one atlas... then things get interesting.

Weight limits will solve this issue, and I can't wait for them either!

One point of curiosity though, is if everybody and their brother still wants to pilot assaults, will that screw up the match wait times? I'd imagine the demographics would self correct, but an interesting question nonetheless.

Edited by subgenius, 29 July 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#19 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostKhobai, on 29 July 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

What mediums lack in killing power they need to make up for in versatility which is currently lacking.

That aspect appears to be under consideration too, what with the mentioned agility buffs that are supposed to be coming.

#20 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

I play a medium and if my "teams" didn't always lose, I would laugh at how most of those assault "pilots" I wind up with all do less than 100 damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users