- - - - -

Are We Ready?

61 replies to this topic

#1 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Honestly, I've put off posting this post for 2 weeks now. I've only been playing for 3 months.

This thread acted as the catalyst...
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2533316

I have been waiting ever since.
48 days from now there is going to be a very large spike in NewbDom.

As a Community... are we up to the challenge?

Redshift2k5 and Koniving will post... we know that! Red with that extra sentence fragment that was skipped to up his nearing 8000 posts. Koniving with humongoroid wall of text w/Video! Not that either is bad mind you!

This isn't the point... the point is...
Are the Pinned threads useful? Topical? Searchable? Is there a clear answer to the "what mech should I buy?" thread? HINT: There actually is an answer but it is divided across roughly 150 threads. Can we explain the Heat System? With few words? Not using pictures? How do you build a mech? Like seriously... for those who are not TT fans! For a task? When and where is FF and XL useful, rather than a death sentence?

Are we ready? It is an important question. 6 weeks ago I posted an AtD question which prompted PGI to create a completely obsolete Knowledge Base which as of this writing has still not been updated.

Are we ready? Nope... we need to sharpen our tools! Newbs shouldn't have to ask. They should have to read. Can we quickly point them to what they need?

Reserving next post to act as data repository.

RESERVED

Reserved again! Because that time delay means Edit!

#2 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm loathe to even say it but... 3 hours down the Rabbit Hole...

This thread which is pinned with 200k views needs to be un-pinned.
http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/
50% defect list continues now 30+ links in... no longer is it a question of should we delete bad data. Now it is a matter of what data is good. At this point... the thread needs un-pin and data mining vs updates. That the OP (Kaemon) hasn't even logged in for the last 22 days and not updated in 34 days is key. It could be further argued that since some of the defects are literally 3 months old... yeah. Sorry. Buh-bye o/

Still taking in data from PMs and evaluating... will continue to update this POST for defect list.

Re-posting this so that it appears in thread updates.

---------
From Official Post: Pinned etc

http://mwomercs.com/...e-here-to-help/

If you would like to contribute a tutorial, recommendation, tips, or any other information that you feel new players will benefit from, please feel free to post here in the guides forums.

mmmm you know it is a small thing but since I kicked this ball down Alpine's Armpit Ridge... This isn't the Guides Forum :)

This is New Player Help ;) and guides forums well that is GUIDES & STRATEGIES

Edited by scJazz, 01 August 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#3 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm a new player myself to MW:O, but not TT and the older franchise. I can say that...it was kinda learning curve. And I am still learning stuff about how the heat system work's. They do try to explain it-but it still comes off as convoluted.

It doesn't help that I have had to explain a lot to the people I been bringing into MW:O on how it work's with hardpoints and everything. Overall though, a lot was explained to me by the community and the pinned threads!

Though, I think cutting down on the pinned threads and making a "Masterlist" of everything ever needed or asked would be good. Or a literal forum section just dedicated to having all the archived and useful data on hand.

That may need to be a community-wide project though, we as the players get together the most important information and compile it in the smallest space possible. So it's easy to obtain and find without using the search function or having tens-of-thousands of threads for the same thing.

Maybe it's already being done...And I just haven't noticed it. Which may be a bad thing in itself.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Stickies are certainly out of date and the game suffers, and has always suffered, from lack of tutorials and strong self-help infromation sources

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

imho a 10 page mechwarriors manual needs to happen - something people can print out and study on the toilet ;p

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

So lets do it!

Aaron our newest newb can help quite a bit! What did you have to read? What do you feel you needed more?

We need to tear apart the Pinned threads here. Wadda I'm looking at you! Your guide is nice but until just weeks ago referred to Repair and Rearm and no matter what is in PDF form which isn't searchable.

I'm going to stay back for a day. Like I said to begin... I didn't really even want to kick this snowball down Alpine's Armpit. With 48 days to go it bloody well needs to roll in order that the astonishing retention rate generated by this sub-forum blossoms! (Also I want to shoot newbs in the face with my SmartCat!)

Guide links...
Trash the pinned threads or combine...
Kick Wadda into de-PDFing his data...
Mech design tutorial... (ya this means u Koniving)
Telling me I'm an *****...
More stuff!

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Posted Image

My autocannons are loaded.

#8 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 31 July 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

imho a 10 page mechwarriors manual needs to happen - something people can print out and study on the toilet ;p

Quoting for justice. This needs to happen........

#9 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostscJazz, on 31 July 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

So lets do it!

Aaron our newest newb can help quite a bit! What did you have to read? What do you feel you needed more?

We need to tear apart the Pinned threads here. Wadda I'm looking at you! Your guide is nice but until just weeks ago referred to Repair and Rearm and no matter what is in PDF form which isn't searchable.

I'm going to stay back for a day. Like I said to begin... I didn't really even want to kick this snowball down Alpine's Armpit. With 48 days to go it bloody well needs to roll in order that the astonishing retention rate generated by this sub-forum blossoms! (Also I want to shoot newbs in the face with my SmartCat!)

Guide links...
Trash the pinned threads or combine...
Kick Wadda into de-PDFing his data...
Mech design tutorial... (ya this means u Koniving)
Telling me I'm an *****...
More stuff!

Hm. Starting from the top:

Is this game Joystick supportive?
How do I control ECM? (Niko says: http://mwomercs.com/...75-what-is-ecm/)
Detailed Map Descriptions.
***** Proof Raven Builds.
How does heat sinks work?
Upgrade tab, where is it?
How do I love arm's to my reticule?
Does ammunition explode? http://mwomercs.com/...nition-explode/
If so, does AC ammunition explode? http://mwomercs.com/...nition-explode/
How many matches do I have left to my first 25 free C-bills? (This was self explanatory when the amount drastically dropped)
Where in the hell is my mechbays? All I see is Trials...
Is there an actual ELO system?
Can I see my ELO rank?
How do I keep it high? Is it based off KDR/ASSISTs/Win-Loss?

Some of my friends questions:

What are the basic controls?
Can heat kill me?
What are hardpoints?
What are critical points?
What is a critical hit? And how can I get them? How often do they happen?
Can I drop with a full seven other people? Or just three others then myself?
Is there ingame VOIP?
Is there open TS/Mumble?
Do we have to decide now on a faction?
If so, what benefits do you get for being a certain faction?
Will there by more game modes?

This is all I can remember off the top of my head. Probably is a lot more then I can remember.

EDIT: Forgot also, Best Beginner Mech? Or the easiest mech to use?

Edited by Niko Snow, 14 August 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#10 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:08 AM

Very good job, but I would add just a couple more:

where to find the Basic controls.
Basic tactics <Aka don't run of like a headless chicken and shoot your teammates>
The difference between trial mechs and real ones
Targeting reticules and the importance of pressing R.

This thread is a very good idea, there really will be a lot of bewildered new pilots getting destroyed out there who could use a nice cup of tea and a shoulder rub and possibly this thread to read :)

#11 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

I know this may be an odd one, but what about a small breakdown explaining the different styles of mech builds. (Brawler, sniper, firesupport, ect.) I know a lot of new players are unsure what style they fit in and don't know how to explain what they want to do. If the breakdowns are listed then they can read through and have a good idea of what they want to do. This breakdown could include good starting mechs for each style. I mean how many times have we, as the New Player Help forum people, asked what playstyle are you going for and got the proverbial deer in the healights look from a new player since they don't know what playstyle they would fit in to. This is going to be EXTREMELY CRUCIAL when dealing with new players that have never touched a MW or BT game in thier life!

#12 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

i got to the point where i sort posts by start date so im not reading a november post that was dug up and replied to.

#13 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostNiko Snow, on 31 July 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Good thread is good. I'll try to handle these tomorrow afternoon :)

Thanks for your support Niko :D

I'm going to start moving through all the guides and stuff get a "best of" and "obsolete list" going.

Busy day for me today so... whelp we will see.

#14 Zongoose

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

Surely many of these questions are going to be completely turned on their heads by the new UI, which hopefully should be turning up in the next month and before the game launch date. I'd hold off on how to guides specific to the UI and focus on general advice for now and descriptions of the game mechanics.

#15 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

I will report for new player help duty :D

I'm always lurking on the forums while I am at work anyway :blink: , so might as well answer any new player questions I come across. Well unless Redshift2k5 or Koniving have beaten me to the punch :)

View PostRF Greywolf, on 01 August 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

I know this may be an odd one, but what about a small breakdown explaining the different styles of mech builds. (Brawler, sniper, firesupport, ect.) I know a lot of new players are unsure what style they fit in and don't know how to explain what they want to do. If the breakdowns are listed then they can read through and have a good idea of what they want to do. This breakdown could include good starting mechs for each style. I mean how many times have we, as the New Player Help forum people, asked what playstyle are you going for and got the proverbial deer in the healights look from a new player since they don't know what playstyle they would fit in to. This is going to be EXTREMELY CRUCIAL when dealing with new players that have never touched a MW or BT game in thier life!

I'm kind of interested in making such a guide. Break it down by battlefield roles, recommended chassis/variants and weight classes.

#16 Moku

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

I wish there would be a spike. But let's be realistic, Sarah's mech news is the biggest pr boost ever and I don't see much difference.

-----------

Ok, on a positive note the Project Phoenix pack date will probably have a crowd since everyone will have to try out their new mechs.

Edited by Moku, 01 August 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#17 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostKanajashi, on 01 August 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I will report for new player help duty :blink:

Any and all help is, well, helpful. :)

View PostKanajashi, on 01 August 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

I'm kind of interested in making such a guide. Break it down by battlefield roles, recommended chassis/variants and weight classes.

Cool! I guess the first step would be to figure out all of the battlefield roles. If you want to start on that then that would be a good jumping platform. If you need any help let me know!

Edit: WOOT! 100 posts! Sorry I get excited over stupid stuff. :D

Edited by RF Greywolf, 01 August 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#18 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostMoku, on 01 August 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

I wish there would be a spike. But let's be realistic, Sarah's mech news is the biggest pr boost ever and I don't see much difference.

OK, true or not true this post isn't helpful. Please lets keep badposts to a minimum and concentrate.

#19 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostMoku, on 01 August 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

-----------

Ok, on a positive note the Project Phoenix pack date will probably have a crowd since everyone will have to try out their new mechs.

I know it's not exactly positive, but Sarahs Mech is how I found out about MW:O.

I think IGP/Piranha is planning to put out more ad's and stuff at launch. And there will be a gigantic influx when Clan-tech arrives. Since Clan's have always been more popular then Inner Sphere.

#20 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

View PostRF Greywolf, on 01 August 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Edit: WOOT! 100 posts! Sorry I get excited over stupid stuff. :wacko:

Yeah! 100 posts! :blink:

This coming weekend is a long weekend here in BC, Canada. So ill will write out all my thoughts on battlefield roles and post them here. The roles that I am thinking would be good are:

Scout - Fast mover designed to relay information back to the main force using specialized electronics. Weight classes: Light/Medium Ex: Raven 3L

Striker - Fast mover designed to deal a large short range punch. Good for flanking around, shredding rear armor, and then retreating when things get to hot. Weight classes: Light/Medium Ex: Jenner

Skirmisher - Faster moving mech with good mobility typically involving jump-jets. Designed to move fluidly through the battlefield intercepting scouts/strikers, flanking the enemy and guarding the fire support/snipers. Weight classes: Medium\Heavy Ex: Dragons, Quickdraws, Shadow Hawk

Sniper - Long range mech designed to deal large alpha damage at ranges 500m+ using weapons like PPC and Gauss. Can also pop-tart. Weight classes: Heavy\Assault Ex: Highlander 732 or Stalker

Brawler - Mech with consistant DPS and good armor that can keep fighting a prolonged engagement with the enemy force at medium to short range without needing to break off and seek cover. Weight classes: Medium\Heavy Ex: Cataphracts or Centurions

Juggernaut - Wall of metal with a massive short range punch and a standard engine, designed to stomp right into an enemy formation to draw fire, absorb damage and cause havoc which strikers and brawlers can capitalize on. Weight classes: Heavy\Assault Ex: Atlas

Fire Support - Either direct with autocannons or indirect using missiles. Stay outside of the main conflict as they lack the mobility or short range firepower to defend themselves from strikers and brawlers. Weight classes: Medium\Heavy\Assault Ex: Jagermech, Catapult, Trebuchet, Blackjack

sound good? any thoughts before i get started?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users