22 replies to this topic

#1 Dren Nas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Since I have been involved with this community, the devs' stance on this issue has changed various times. Back in Novermber, 2012 a dev said this:

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 November 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Just to make sure everyone, well, actually read that and listened to what Russ said, we don't plan to add 3rd person. We're looking at what it would require of us if we did.

Now with 3rd person entering the PTR soon, I believe PGI's credibility with the people that bought the game because there would be no 3rd person has been damaged. I'm curious of whether PGI will give people refunds on their founder packs with this change of heart.

Anyway, on to why I'm posting.

I don't like the idea of 3rd person view (3PV) in a mech simulation game. It ruins the immersion, but if they are really adding it I suggest balancing it with 1st person view (1PV). Implementing a 3PV with all the advantages of the 1PV seems to give a distinct tactical advantage to the 3PV. Each should have advantages and disadvantages when being used.

I suggest the following with reasoning included:
  • 3PV should not have a HUD or targeting reticle. I suggest this to balance the tactical advantage of having the enormous increase in visual range. And, it just makes sense that you can't look through your HUD if you're looking over your shoulder.
  • Possibly a module to unlock 3PV because modules are designed to give tactical advantages.
  • Maybe allow 3PV to be gained through an equipment slot that can be destroyed.
I just see too many advantages being given to 3PV mech pilots if PGI does not do something to balance the two views.

#2 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

Seeing as we've discussed this many times over and all agree that PGIGP doesn't know what the **** they are doing, I'll talk about your suggestions....
  • The main advantage of 3PV is seeing things behind you or seeing where targets are. That being said, you can still get the main advantage without a HUD
  • So you want us to grind more? You already have to grind seismic and cool shot to be on par with other players. Also, we're still fighting with full blown 3PV so that doesn't make anyone happy. Also seeing as the ENTIRE POINT OF 3PV is to help noobs drive their tank mech. How can they do that if they have to unlock the thing...
  • That's nice until someone destroys it. Then the noob who doesn't know how to pilot in 3PV is screwed. Also you still have 3PV which is a problem for most people.
Clearly you have lost touch with what the problem is and why it exists:
  • nobody wants 3PV in the match maker/private matches because it enables seeing over hills and behind you (which helps poptarts).
  • PGI went back on their promise never to include 3PV so they could help new players see what they were doing and learn how to pilot their mech (since legs and torso are independent)
A good suggestion might look like this:
  • bring back the HUD 3d model of your mech that showed your damage in MW3. This way players can see their mech while still in 1st POV.

Edited by Multitallented, 31 July 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#3 Unbound Inferno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

The only thing I wao

View PostDren Nas, on 31 July 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Since I have been involved with this community, the devs' stance on this issue has changed various times. Back in Novermber, 2012 a dev said this:

Now with 3rd person entering the PTR soon, I believe PGI's credibility with the people that bought the game because there would be no 3rd person has been damaged. I'm curious of whether PGI will give people refunds on their founder packs with this change of heart.

Anyway, on to why I'm posting.

I don't like the idea of 3rd person view (3PV) in a mech simulation game. It ruins the immersion, but if they are really adding it I suggest balancing it with 1st person view (1PV). Implementing a 3PV with all the advantages of the 1PV seems to give a distinct tactical advantage to the 3PV. Each should have advantages and disadvantages when being used.

I suggest the following with reasoning included:
  • 3PV should not have a HUD or targeting reticle. I suggest this to balance the tactical advantage of having the enormous increase in visual range. And, it just makes sense that you can't look through your HUD if you're looking over your shoulder.
  • Possibly a module to unlock 3PV because modules are designed to give tactical advantages.
  • Maybe allow 3PV to be gained through an equipment slot that can be destroyed.
I just see too many advantages being given to 3PV mech pilots if PGI does not do something to balance the two views.

The only thing I would add is the "module" forces that 3PV, and you can't get out of it - so you are fighting the match with no Hud. The entire match.

#4 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

immersion , waaaay on the back buner as evident on the map volcano and swimming around in the volcano.

#5 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I think they should just NOT put it in... Wasn't it like 6000 votes against and 400 for 3PV? And then PGI is like "oh, yeah but people on the forums don't actually count as player base, which by the way has MASSIVELY demanded 3PV but uh we can't tell you where they asked for it also its coming no matter what so screw you guys who don't want KT. Plus normal mode will now be "hardcore" so even less new people play it. We will still take your MC though dooo... MC mech sale??"

#6 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

1. Hot Swapping. Doing it like WoT with sniper mode and general movement mode. Both have there disadvantages and advantages. 3PV is good for moving about, but not so good for combat due to wonky convergence from redicle to actual gun. This will be prevalent even here in MWO no matter what they do. 1P will be the same as we have now. Hot Swapping the system, meaning you have both available to you at any time, means no one will be able to Btich, Whine and Complain about either one. Since you have both available to you at any given time. You can swap to 3PV when moving around, but when combat starts you may want to go to 1P to get a better aim at a certain component.

#7 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Want 3PV to be accepted? Don't allow any firing of weapons when the pilot is in 3PV.

#8 DamnCatte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 171 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

3PV should have a massive camera on a stick poking up at an angle from the back of their mech, that works as a head hitbox and can be spotted easily over hills. Sort of like a bumper car lead, with a camera at the top. Extra MC to make it look like different things.

This way, they can have their fancy 3PV, but we can make them suffer for it.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Honestly, I don't see why everyone is hating on the 3rd person view. I know I won't be using it on the servers, but I think I'll give it a try on the PTS, just to see how it affects gameplay.

You can't deny that it will help new players understand how movement works, and they might progress to the 1st person servers later on. I assume there will be seperate servers for FPV only, 3PV only and also a mixed one for shorter queues.

#10 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 31 July 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Honestly, I don't see why everyone is hating on the 3rd person view. I know I won't be using it on the servers, but I think I'll give it a try on the PTS, just to see how it affects gameplay.

You can't deny that it will help new players understand how movement works, and they might progress to the 1st person servers later on. I assume there will be seperate servers for FPV only, 3PV only and also a mixed one for shorter queues.

A proper tutorial would be far more helpful to new players.

I'm really glad I didn't spend any money on this game after the initial founders purchase. With 3rd person view going to test I certainly regret the founders purchase.

#11 Dren Nas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostMultitallented, on 31 July 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Clearly you have lost touch with what the problem is and why it exists:
  • nobody wants 3PV in the match maker/private matches because it enables seeing over hills and behind you (which helps poptarts).
  • PGI went back on their promise never to include 3PV so they could help new players see what they were doing and learn how to pilot their mech (since legs and torso are independent)

BS. The european market wants 3rd person. So saying no one wants it is a load of bull and reflects that you really don't know wtf you're talking about.

#12 itiziDITKA

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

There is a hovering camera drone above a Mech using 3rd person view. This helps with situations where “you can see him if he can see you”.

That is from the pubic test poll. I think what they're counting on for 3PV is "whatever advantage you get, your opponent gets too."

Of course, depending on how this works, it may allow 2 or more mechs to become aware of each other from behind hills before actually going over. I suspect this will have a large effect on the way maps like frozen city are played. Instead of actually cresting the hill to see over, you just go far enough over to see their little camera. Granted, they can see yours too, but it will change the way games are played by.

I personally don't have anything against 3PV and would love to see my own mech in action somewhere other than the mech lab, but I can see how it would have a negative effect on the game for competitive venues and tournaments, but I believe they said they would keep competitive matches 1PV only so the point may be moot.

#13 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

I don't like 3pv

#14 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

The last time I saw anything to do with 3rd person in a creative update it said something along these lines:

3rd person WILL be in the game
You will have a choice to toggle off 3rd person for yourself
You will have the choice to turn off 3rd person in the match making system, meaning you wouldnt be forced to play 1st person vs people using 3rd person

Unless thats changed between March, and our current date, this thread is pointless. 3rd person will bring new players to the game that wouldnt play it otherwise, which is good for the MWO community in general. I personally am not interested in using 3rd person, but as long as I can turn it off in the match making, who gives a ****.

Typical forum stupidity, raging about features that dont affect your game play

Edited by SteelWarrior, 31 July 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#15 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

"
Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:38 AM
Here are the facts.
  • Yes we are currently working on a 3rd person option for MWO.
  • There is no ETA for when 3rd person will be available.
  • Players will never be forced to use or play against other players using 3rd person."
http://mwomercs.com/...095-3rd-person/

If this has changed feel free to post the link

#16 El Space Doctor

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostDren Nas, on 31 July 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

BS. The european market wants 3rd person. So saying no one wants it is a load of bull and reflects that you really don't know wtf you're talking about.

I seriously doubt that. If anything, most european people paying attention to this are more likely to be the hardcore mw/tt type of people.

To me, it's all about "hey, moaarr peeples may play this if they can see teh particles.."

I dunno. I hope it never really makes into the actual gameplay. I know I can pick between the viewmodes, but still I'm not too keen on splitting the playerbase into those who want the actual game and those who want to see a big robot and explosions.

#17 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

If it attracts more potential players, then whatever. Making a big fuss out of it at this point won't do squat anyway, it didn't do anything when it was announced.

Edited by jakucha, 31 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#18 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostDren Nas, on 31 July 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Then limit it to the Euro servers that will be added at some point assuming this game doesn't end up dead. Keep that 3rd person view **** off the NA server.

#19 El Space Doctor

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostZylo, on 31 July 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Then limit it to the Euro servers that will be added at some point assuming this game doesn't end up dead. Keep that 3rd person view **** off the NA server.

And lose the entire european player base? I don't really see that happening...

#20 Zylo

• 1,782 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostEl Space Doctor, on 31 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

And lose the entire european player base? I don't really see that happening...

If the Euro players want 3rd person view so bad then a new Euro server with 3rd person view enabled would probably be very popular...

Right?...

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users