Upgrading Founder's Mechs?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

Will you be able to upgrade the Founder's Mech, or will it's tech be hard-wired? The reason I ask,is in WoT (my only real reference,as I play it A LOT), the premium tanks/TD's/SPG's are NOT upgradeable. What you buy is a vehicle that makes substantially more credits than it's tiered counterparts, and XP which you can convert to "free" XP, that you can use to upgrade any of your other vehicles in game. However, you can't mount a different turret, gun, tracks, engine, or radio in it, as all of those items are fixed. I was just wondering if the Founder's Mechs will be upgradeable like a regular mech, only with the permanent c-bill boost, or will it be un-modifiable? I'm going for the Founder's pack, but whether or not you can upgrade the mech will influence my decision as to which one to pick. Thanks!

#2 Strisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

While I haven't seen an answer to this specifically, I can see no reason to not let the Founder's Mechs be tinkered with in the mechlab.

#3 Major Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationIncomming!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

founders mechs are already limited by the same rules as every other mech (hardpoints, tonage, jump jets, etc). In fact anyone can take the exact same mech when they start. The only real advantage of the founder mech is a lifetime xp boost, which will cap quickly (unless it is a charcter xp boost). To limit the founders package further would make it worth significantly less.

#4 Rufus Ingram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

It seems like an arbitrary limitation to impose. It's still a mech, and since xp/c-bill bonuses will continue to be purchasable that will apply to non-specific mechs that will be customizable it would be a disadvantage to be stuck with an unmodifiable founder's mech. Also, you did pay $60 for it...

Edit: serious run-on sentence :)

Edited by Rufus Ingram, 11 June 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

The reason I got thinking about it was the phrase "Exclusive custom "Founder's BattleMech." This 'Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster." The "custom" part has me thinking it may have hard-wired tech. Think about it, they are giving you a mech with a LIFETIME c-bill booster, and money earned is a result of, among other things, damage dealt. So if you can fully upgrade an Atlas to the biggest damage inflicting version available, your c-bills earned could go through the roof, thereby upsetting the game economy. However the flip-side would be enticing other players to buy said c-bill printing mechs, to support their BT addiction.

Edited by Sierra19, 11 June 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Strisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostRufus Ingram, on 11 June 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

It seems like an arbitrary limitation to impose. It's still a mech, and since xp/c-bill bonuses will continue to be purchasable that will apply to non-specific mechs that will be customizable it would be a disadvantage to be stuck with an unmodifiable founder's mech. Also, you did pay $60 for it...

Edit: serious run-on sentence :)

well, $30 for the mech, you can get all the rest for $30...well depending on what the extra premium month is worth...

View PostSierra19, on 11 June 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

...The "custom" part has me thinking it may have hard-wired tech.

It's a custom paint job, you can see what they look like here http://mwomercs.com/...tion-inception/

Edited by Strisk, 11 June 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#7 Fortune

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

I think the founder mechs all have variant like the normal mechs. And since every mech has their own tree of unlocks/upgrade/exp, you just need to use them like you use the the normal mechs to unlock more upgrades/variants.

EDIT: Disregard that. The founder mechs are the "Elite" variant of the normal counter part.

ps. the elite variant is the top most variant you can get on a normal mech when you have enought exp on that one mech.

Source:

MONTREAL - May 22, 2012 - Calling all MechWarrior® fans! An exclusive MechWarrior Online™ Founder’s Program goes on sale June 19th. It will offer die-hard fans of this beloved franchise valuable benefits including: in-game currency, a custom BattleMech™ ("ELITE" level only)

Edited by Fortune, 11 June 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#8 Sierra19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

It'd be nice to get an answer from one of the devs on this, so I'll patiently wait for that, AND my beta key (crosses fingers).

#9 razorkill12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 133 posts
  • LocationJax, FL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Everything will come in due time. Yes I am burned out of WOT...(in a clan battle defence right now). I want to know all the info as well.

#10 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

We plan to put out some news this week to clarify points on Founders Mechs and a few other bits on the founders program. Before Friday I hope to get a few news posts up to make sure everyone really understands what they would be buying.

#11 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 11 June 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

We plan to put out some news this week to clarify points on Founders Mechs and a few other bits on the founders program. Before Friday I hope to get a few news posts up to make sure everyone really understands what they would be buying.

Russ' 69th post...pure sex

#12 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostFortune, on 11 June 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

I think the founder mechs all have variant like the normal mechs. And since every mech has their own tree of unlocks/upgrade/exp, you just need to use them like you use the the normal mechs to unlock more upgrades/variants.

EDIT: Disregard that. The founder mechs are the "Elite" variant of the normal counter part.

ps. the elite variant is the top most variant you can get on a normal mech when you have enought exp on that one mech.

Source:

Elite refers to the founder's type, NOT any 'levels' of the mechs.

Mechs don't have levels or tiers like in WoT.

#13 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 11 June 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

If only I could like Russ' 69th post twice.

#14 Exillian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

^ What is wrong with you?

#15 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostExillian, on 11 June 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

^ What is wrong with you?

Me? Nothing. You on the other hand have a bullet inside you. ~Sterling Archer

#16 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostTyra, on 11 June 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Elite refers to the founder's type, NOT any 'levels' of the mechs.

Mechs don't have levels or tiers like in WoT.

Uhmm....
Posted Image
You might want to check this link: http://mwomercs.com/...e-warfare-cont/

#17 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 11 June 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

Uhmm....
Posted Image
You might want to check this link: http://mwomercs.com/...e-warfare-cont/

MONTREAL - May 22, 2012 - Calling all MechWarrior® fans! An exclusive MechWarrior Online™ Founder’s Program goes on sale June 19th. It will offer die-hard fans of this beloved franchise valuable benefits including: in-game currency, a custom BattleMech™ ("ELITE" level only), up to a two-month free premium account, a permanent "Founder’s Tag" and more. Dubbed "OPERATION INCEPTION," the Founder’s program gives fans a limited one-time chance to secure exclusive MechWarrior Online game content via two ranks:

$60 ELITE Founder's Package Includes: <<<("ELITE" level only)
Exclusive custom "Founder's BattleMech." This 'Mech includes a lifetime, per-match C-Bill booster

("ELITE" level only) <Should read> a custom BattleMech™ Comes with "Elite Founders Package only"

#18 Derek Icelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 11 June 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

<snip>

That was the example of a pilot's experience tree and the bonuses you could gain from sticking with a single chassis. That is not a 'Mech tier tree.

#19 Kanatta Jing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

There might be a Tier system.

As in you might not be able to freely upgrade a Chassis with Endo-steel, Ferro Fibrous, XL engine and Double Heat sinks.

Making the Centurion CN9-A an entirely different purchase then a Centurion CN9-D.

Meaning we would have a firm Tech 1/Tech 2 Tier system at launch.

And will your Founder's Mech be a Tech 1 or Tech 2 model?

Well whatever, you're not going to be in the same Mech your entire career anyway.

#20 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

We don't know anything about founders mechs ... heck we hardly have any details about the package as a whole.

I'm hoping that by next week ... we will have a breakdown of all the founders mechs ... including their hardpoint configurations. Base BV etc etc.

Oh and 100% confirmation of migration.

Not that I'm gonna be buying one ... I think they are all ugly but thats just my personal preference.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users