August 2Nd - 6Th Trial By Fire Sale!

70 replies to this topic

#41 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

was expecting a new Hero mech thrown in with the fire sale, oh well.

#42 Edwyndham

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

The typical COM-2D streak build currently suffers from redone SSRM mechanics, but there are possibilities with regular SRMs.

BJ-1X is a pretty good striker platform.

Catapult C4 is meh. C1 is a lot more flexible IMO.

#43 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Lol Garths comment

MC mechs cost way too much. It should be just a couple dollars for an assault, like maybe 4 or 5 for one that's all kitted out with upgrades. Commandos should be like 75 cents, they suck and that's a price point where someone could easily justify buying all of them to master out. I can't imagine ever spending money on plain mechs for MC with their current cost.

Heck, at least let us just buy the stripped hull of a much for much less MC. I don't get why someone would waste their money on weapons armor and equipment they already have and could just buy with bills. Those are my thought

#44 RuggedRoughneck

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm confused, isn't this a "Beta"??
Why woud I spend US$ for items, just to have them revoked, after a beta ends??

#45 Kay Oss

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

I've bought a few non-heroes with MC when they were on sale. I've even bought a couple at full price. I buy them when I am not earning C-bills at a fast enough speed to get all the mechs I would like. Plenty of others must be buying them as well. It's up to PGI to balance price vs # of sales for optimal profit. Obviously they feel they are pretty close to correct on this. I wish everyone would stop whining cause they earn a lot of Cbills or are they just plain too cheap to buy MC. Earn your C-bills, get 'em for free and stay the **** out of these threads if you don't like the sales. Leave 'em for those of us that do. That's the awesomeness of a F2P game... All you tight-***** can still play along.

Bunch of entitled children around here.

#46 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostTeam Leader, on 02 August 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

Lol Garths comment

MC mechs cost way too much. It should be just a couple dollars for an assault, like maybe 4 or 5 for one that's all kitted out with upgrades. Commandos should be like 75 cents, they suck and that's a price point where someone could easily justify buying all of them to master out. I can't imagine ever spending money on plain mechs for MC with their current cost.

Heck, at least let us just buy the stripped hull of a much for much less MC. I don't get why someone would waste their money on weapons armor and equipment they already have and could just buy with bills. Those are my thought

This has always bothered me a LOT, the fact that MC prices are effected by the stock equipment of a mech rather then its capabilities is mental. Some normal variants are over the top priced compared to a Hero mech because it includes a XL engine, best examples being the Cicada's X5 (3,000MC) vs 3M (2,840MC) and Centurion Yen-Lo-Wang (3,750MC) vs CN9-D (3,265MC).

Hell you could make it a premiums service, dish out MC to buy a mech stripped of all its extra bells and whistles for a much more reasonable price.

View PostRuggedRoughneck, on 02 August 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

This is open beta, everything is treated as live with no more rollbacks so stuff bought, you keep. (Unless you do it on the test server.)

Edited by Xeno Phalcon, 02 August 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#47 Aw3som3ousPrim3

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Love the Catapult's, I'll be grabbing the C4 for sure!

#48 Barratry

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Are there any plans to make the trial mechs (and thus mechs for sale on the "Trial by Fire") be fitted out well for MWO, out of the box? Of the four, I could only really recommend new players use the Atlas... The Catapult seems okay, if you are playing with someone who can spot for you.

I feel bad when introducing MWO to a friend, as the stock trial mechs are often very bad in the MWO metagame. It's kind of like "Well, if you want to have any fun, you have to buy a mech with money, then get kicked around for 20 games until you can load it out properly. So, if you play this game for 6 hours, it gets to be fun."

In example, stock COM-2D: If you can get behind a heavy/assault, it can pack a punch, but at 97.2KPH, it can be pokey, and if you get in a heavy/assault's sights, that's the end of the match for you.

Stock BJ-1X: Don't use the flamers, they are terrible. Watch your heat.

Stock CPLT-C4: Only good if you are playing with a friend, who can spot for you.

Edited by Barratry, 02 August 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#49 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostAppogee, on 02 August 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

For those considering purchasing these Mechs: I've found the BJ-1X to be the best of the BJs, thanks to its 8ML 40 point alpha capability

Too hot build...

View PostAppogee, on 02 August 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

combined with a maxxed out speed of 108kph.

XL engine for BJ-1X - death sentence.

Edited by Warge, 02 August 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#50 tuffy963

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostRuggedRoughneck, on 02 August 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Nothing will be revoked.

#51 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

YEA!!!!

Oh wait, I have an AMD CPU and also run Avast. Sorry, I won't be able to take advantage of this sale.....

#52 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hmmmmm ... when are the Misery and Firebrand going on sale?

#53 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

View PostWarge, on 02 August 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Too hot build...XL engine for BJ-1X - death sentence.

I usually score 400 or more dmg in a match, so it works fine. (The secret is to configure your weapons in 3 ways... 6ML on one button, 2ML on the other, and an alpha on the third button. Then fire the max weapons you can given how much heat you can handle at any time.)

The XL engine is worth it because the additional speed you get for the weight keeps you out of harm's way while maintaining the high alpha strike potential of the 8ML Mech.

#54 pjfontillas

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

XP->GXP MC conversion should come along with these sales. If I buy one of these at 50% off wouldn't I want to use that MC I save to boost either grinding for modules or mech trees?

#55 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 02 August 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

[color=cyan]I'm glad you posted this.[/color]

Because it gives me an opportunity to say: if you're not going to contribute beyond "this isn't for me therefore I am going to show up to tell everyone how it isn't" please find another area of the forums to post on. If you don't like the sale, fine, but showing up to say 'Meh' is a waste of everyones time, including yours.

Hey Garth, how is CW and UI 2.0 going? Looks like the stress is getting to you. You should probably take a deep breath and relax. Unless, you are trolling.

#56 yashmack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 802 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

I buy a camo or color almost every time theyre on sale
I rarely buy mechs...
Can we get more color and camo sales please?

#57 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

So let me get this straight: There's a free multiplayer-game out there that is being financed by voluntary purchases from community members and people are complaining about a sale on items being announced in that game? Huh?

I might be new around here, but so far, I haven't had the impression that anyone was forcing any players to buy Mechs with MCs. Why even complain about this? What's the downside of the devs doing a weekend sale?

So far (and as a n00b) I can only see upsides. It's a pretty quick way to fill out your stable if you're new to the game and to be able to run different chassis'/weight classes from the get-go.

Again: Nobody forced me to buy - I just did it 'cause I like CATs and because I see nothing wrong with supporting a game that lets me join and play *for free* and brings me hours upon hours of fun.

*shrug*

S.

#58 MONEY SHOT

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

why isnt the atlas on sale too?

#59 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 02 August 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

[color=cyan]I'm glad you posted this.[/color]

Because it gives me an opportunity to say: if you're not going to contribute beyond "this isn't for me therefore I am going to show up to tell everyone how it isn't" please find another area of the forums to post on. If you don't like the sale, fine, but showing up to say 'Meh' is a waste of everyones time, including yours.

Hey Garth,

I haven't reached out to you guys much since the closed beta ended, but I want to offer a little encouragement especially in relation to working directly with the community. For all of those people that will offer generic complaints or purely abrasive without offering any real feedback, insight, or even direct commentary, you have a large body of very engaged and passionate players who are sincerely interested in improving all levels of the MWO play and community experience, even up to the developer level.

It's obvious there has been, and likely will be, a lot of unhappiness surrounding decisions you guys make regarding the design, implementation, and monetization of MWO. I've been included in those who have been disappointed or frustrated by the types and pacing of adjustments made in the game, and a big part of the issue is the way dialogues are taking place between the development team and the community.

Much of the frustration comes from the community members that are actively trying to contribute constructive ideas and feedback, and the lack of exchange from the development team reflecting on their attempts at contributions. Obviously this is inevitable, there is so many suggestions being made and limited developer time to respond. The fact that the quality of this feedback varies from very poor ("Meh") to quite good seems like it should help alleviate this problem, as it is much easier to push the rubbish to the side and concentrate on engaging with those members of the community that are putting the best efforts forward at being part of the cooperative development team that is at work on any Beta project.

I feel like a really strong step forward for improving the relationships between some of the forum contributors and the developers is to avoid making posts responding directly to the poor quality or nonconstructive feedback, and instead concentrate your efforts and the value of your time in responding directly to the really well structured and positively intended work of those who are sincerely trying to contribute for the health of the product (and ultimately, your bottom line as well).

Here's hoping this reaches you, and you see some value in it,

~Trent~

#60 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:41 AM

I don't know if I want the Commando, but given it's effectively 57 more than the mech bay it comes in, it's tempting. Sadly, that might prevent me from buying something else I might want later (I'll have 43 MC vs 100, so it could eventually cost me a color or mech bay). So, I've got to think about it.

With the general price of mechs, that's the only one in the sale I'd think about, though the BJ isn't too bad a price now either I guess. I just got the C4 Cat with the day before hand.

Edit: Wait, I didn't get a mech bay with the purchase, what the heck? I thought we got mechbays with MC mechs.

Edited by Bront, 03 August 2013 - 06:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users