Accessibility

12 replies to this topic

#1 Shaggath

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

I here to talk about beginner.

I love this game i want to invite friend.
But reality is hard, this game are to difficult for starting.

I can say come is funny you need to be violated a huge amout of game to start having you first mech.
More pain to equip them.

So please make a start match maker with beginner for 20 games after that reward with 10 000 000 credit to buy her first mech and equip them and 10000 bonus general xp to give us a taste of full equip mech.

Edited by Shaggath, 03 August 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#2 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

PGI is reworking the new user experience. I just hope it's completed before the game goes live.

What is a real shame is all the great PR Sarah's mech generated brought a large number of new players into the abysmal new player experience we have now.

#3 Shaggath

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

I'm here from the start when all guy using stock variant, after that i have use my credit card, i have 3 variant complete with 3 hero mech and pilot skill.

And i buy the big project phenix pack.

But it's a fact if i have start the game now, i never put money in this game.

#4 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

The Champion mechs and cadet bonus help out a bit. (Although to be honest, the terrible, terrible LRM Atlas is a really bizarre decision for a robot to put new players in.) I agree that they definitely have to put more thought into the new player experience, though.

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 03 August 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

A good tutorial would resolve (somewhat) around eleventy billion percent of any acclimatisation issues for newcomers. They should stick it in the training grounds, maybe animate a couple of the mechs to walk in circles or predetermined paths. "APPLY DAKKA HERE NEWCOMER, FOR GREAT JUSTICE! LIGHT MECH NEWCOMER! SWEEP THE KNEE! SWEEP THE KNEEEEEEEE!"

However, the game has a difficulty curve that is murderously steep, even with a decent grasp on controls. Experimentation in the mechlab is intrinsic to the game, but often leads to death and frustration without a decent appreciation of the curren meta, for which a newcomer is required to come... here.

Sifting through all the bile, hate and vitriol to get to the helpful informaion is offen a veteran task. They need a tutorial for that too.

#6 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 August 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

Sifting through all the bile, hate and vitriol to get to the helpful informaion is offen a veteran task. They need a tutorial for that too.

New Player Help is actually super friendly <_<

#7 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 03 August 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

New Player Help is actually super friendly <_<

R U kiddin? ;) It's hard to understand how to play this game with this "Help" for an experienced player. I, for one, about a year with the game, couldn't understand this if I came as a new player.

This game totally needs tutorial mission with full explanation of mech' movement, targeting, shooting, heat system etc. And also tutorial observation around mech' customization.

#8 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

View PostDuoAngel, on 03 August 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

R U kiddin? <_< It's hard to understand how to play this game with this "Help" for an experienced player. I, for one, about a year with the game, couldn't understand this if I came as a new player.

This game totally needs tutorial mission with full explanation of mech' movement, targeting, shooting, heat system etc. And also tutorial observation around mech' customization.

Oh, I mean the forum, not the game itself haha

#9 MechWarrior849305

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 03 August 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

And thats it. A new player comes here to play the MECH-WARRIOR Online game, not the FORUM-WARRIOR Online. I guess, 95% of them (or even more) don't even come on to forums.

Edited by DuoAngel, 03 August 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#10 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 03 August 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

True, that forum has some nice stuff (despite the odd rage post trying to find a home after the dissolution of global) but it is a well documented and totally not made up on the spot fact that any players who actually make the leap to visit the forums are already determined enough to stick with the game.

It's the jump-straight-inners we need to hook. The poor, poor, juicy, TASTY fodder that drop in a trial Atlas, rock up 12 damage, then stare in bewilderment as I gleefully gut them in a shower of pixelated mechanical gore before they even had a chance to get to grips with the function of the little circle and cross jerking spastically through the curtain of explosions on their screen.

Edit;

View PostDuoAngel, on 03 August 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

And thats it. A new player comes here to play the MECH-WARRIOR Online game, not the FORUM-WARRIOR Online. I guess, 95% of them (or even more) don't even come on to forums.

PROOF!

Edited by Kiiyor, 03 August 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#11 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

They should have a series of single-player PVE missions that pay you C-bills for the first 10 missions. After that, you can still mess around with the PVE missions but it would pay nothing. Each of these missions would teach one more aspect of the game. For example, the first mission would just involve moving and shooting lasers and some SRMs, no major obstacles to run into, just a bunch of trucks to shoot at or something. Then another mission to let you fire off some guided missiles while moving in and out of cover. A 3rd mission that sits you in a mech with ballistics, and this mission would also give you some practice shimmying up hills by zig-zagging your way up to deal with the hill-climbing mechanics (hey, if PGI is gonna put a game mechanic in, they should explain it to new players). A 4th mission that gives you jump jets and has you TAG'ing enemy mechs for friendly LRM vehicles to fire at. Whatever, you get the idea. After the 10 missions you are free to revisit them at any time, but there is no C-bills awarded after the first run-thru. These 10 missions combined should let a player earn 5 million C-bills and go toward buying a new mech. Oh, and make the Trial mechs not suck. That would also help a lot.

#12 xCico

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yep would be nice
When I was starting, there is no instruction how to play this game, how to group weapons? Nothing, they need to change that quickly and make tutorial on training grounds!

#13 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 August 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

It's the jump-straight-inners we need to hook. The poor, poor, juicy, TASTY fodder that drop in a trial Atlas, rock up 12 damage, then stare in bewilderment as I gleefully gut them in a shower of pixelated mechanical gore before they even had a chance to get to grips with the function of the little circle and cross jerking spastically through the curtain of explosions on their screen.

True. "Hi, welcome to Mechwarrior, where your arms point one way, your torso points a second way, and your feet point a third way. BTW most of the configs in the game, including 3 of the ones we start you with, are completely invalid. Good luck!"

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 03 August 2013 - 10:45 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users