3D King Crab

15 replies to this topic

#1 StarscreamDolf

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

For all the King Crab fans out there, i tried my best to get this model done based on 2 facts:

1) Looking as badass as possible based on a very cool artwork of the mech i saw on the forums. (i assume i manged to grab about 60-70% of the aesthetic feeling the artwork gives. i am not a professional 3d modeler i only model for mods, for games like Homeworld 2 and C&C Generals)

2) I wanted to give the feeling of how the mech would look in game if it was implemented. So in general i mean i worked on this having a polygon budget in mind and not working on a high poly version model. I managed to make this have 5k lees polygons that the AS7-D-DC.

i did some kitbashing on the model (Cataphract legs, AC/20s, HGN arm parts) since a lot of things wan't too clear from the artwork to define their exact shape.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Those arms are PERFECT. The torso and legs really need work.

The shoulder plates are not helping; I'd ditch them. Actually, I'd ditch the entire torso and hip assembly - remember that it needs to actually torso twist.

#3 Skygrunt

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

looks sweet man but it looks really broad and it does need to torso twist. Also I know your borrowing the legs but the mech looks a little front heavy for those legs. Despite my criticism i really do love this model good job. (especially the arms those looks sweet)

#4 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Suggestion: Start with an upper center torso, rather than a single torso assembly. Then build a hip, then build a left and right torso.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

the render looks pretty good. The chassis itself is in serious need of some engineering help. The legs are set way too fr back on that (and most KGC renders) model, and it would literally fall on its face. Also< i would widen the pelvis itself, since right now, the hip linkage is long and exposed and would be a shell trap, making blowing the leg right off the mech a given. And any shot missing the hip assembly will likely hit the spectators lounge, er..... cockpit.

#6 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

crab...battle..

#7 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

wow!!!, that looks great!!!!!

#8 StarscreamDolf

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for all your advice and i gonna go make a few more adjustments on the model soon

#9 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

You took an ugly duckling and made it into a swan. A swan of death and awesomeness. Kudos.

#10 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

I'd offer to help out some, but unless you're willing to post a public download link, I can't exactly get it from you, what with PMs being nonfunctional and all...

#11 StarscreamDolf

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ok before i post the changes here is the initial artwork i was referring to the 1st model. (no idea who the artist is but its amazing)

Posted Image

Just to make this clear, the 2nd model is only lightly using the artwork for reference. I removed the shoulders, redone the torso (now both side torsos are more distinguished and added 5 missile tubes at each side) also torso is now 2/3s of the previous, made the cockpit smaller and added torso twist. Also i positioned the legs in a way it won't feel like it will fall.I kept the arms since most ppl like them.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Another shot with the torso positioned closer to the legs
Posted Image

Just for comparison i post a pic with both models together.
Posted Image

i am not gonna devote anymore time on this ( i already work on a Fafnir model and some other stuff for some Hw2 mods) and i am sure we got enough talent in these forums that can make a King Crab that fits everyone's taste. And sorry for being cheap on you, i still used the cataphract legs but i don't have plenty of time and i think they resemble the legs from the above artwork.

Edited by StarscreamDolf, 04 August 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#12 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Hey man, couldn't help it. Just love your King Crab so much, had to see what it'd look like as concept art:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostStarscreamDolf, on 04 August 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Ok before i post the changes here is the initial artwork i was referring to the 1st model. (no idea who the artist is but its amazing)

Posted Image

Just to make this clear, the 2nd model is only lightly using the artwork for reference. I removed the shoulders, redone the torso (now both side torsos are more distinguished and added 5 missile tubes at each side) also torso is now 2/3s of the previous, made the cockpit smaller and added torso twist. Also i positioned the legs in a way it won't feel like it will fall.I kept the arms since most ppl like them.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Another shot with the torso positioned closer to the legs
Posted Image

Posted Image

i am not gonna devote anymore time on this ( i already work on a Fafnir model and some other stuff for some Hw2 mods) and i am sure we got enough talent in these forums that can make a King Crab that fits everyone's taste. And sorry for being cheap on you, i still used the cataphract legs but i don't have plenty of time and i think they resemble the legs from the above artwork.

Nice.

I kinda like the King Crab a bit wider, like it's in the old model, but the other improvements are great.

When can we get it in game, PGI?

#14 Fuzzbox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

View PostStarscreamDolf, on 04 August 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

I must say your first version is in my view much more to the crab I'd expect, really nicely done. I love the upper armor giving some LRM protection for a very slow 'Mech, looks to make sense. The second version just don't look intimidating and broad like it should, I believe your first version had the look. I also like that you took the CTF legs, that also makes sense from an industrial standpoint, even if the CTF might be on the light side.

Amazing work, would like to see it with a nice background (Crab wading through a swamp perhaps with willows hanging down to just give it some view advantage), but I understand these things take time, and we might have better things to spend it on.

#15 Carnifex125

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

vera nice ;)

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

View PostStarscreamDolf, on 03 August 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

For all the King Crab fans out there, i tried my best to get this model done based on 2 facts:

1) Looking as badass as possible based on a very cool artwork of the mech i saw on the forums. (i assume i manged to grab about 60-70% of the aesthetic feeling the artwork gives. i am not a professional 3d modeler i only model for mods, for games like Homeworld 2 and C&C Generals)

2) I wanted to give the feeling of how the mech would look in game if it was implemented. So in general i mean i worked on this having a polygon budget in mind and not working on a high poly version model. I managed to make this have 5k lees polygons that the AS7-D-DC.

i did some kitbashing on the model (Cataphract legs, AC/20s, HGN arm parts) since a lot of things wan't too clear from the artwork to define their exact shape.

Fairly close to the thing that did get released!

They wound up using Stalker feet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users