- - - - -

Mc Mechs Op!?

24 replies to this topic

#1 IonPhoenix

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

So, i can't buy hardly anything,now,yet at some point, was able to buy an Awesome.

Every mech is tied to MC.

I'm afraid to sell my awesome, to get a different mech, because of needing MC
to buy any mech.

So, i've played alot of matches, and never seem to be able to take out any of
the MC mechs. even ones, much smaller, and i see damage going to where i placed
the shots, but not very much, even with 3 er ppcs and 1 small laser alpha'ed to location.

Now, i'm not a noob, in mechs or in online gaming.

I'm a guildmaster currently,in TOR, and played Mechwarrior(snes), MW2(pc),
MW3(pc),MW4/MW4 mercs(pc).

My question is: Do i have to spend real money to have a chance and buy an MC mech?

My second question is: If i sell my awesome, will i get back, whatever, i need to buy another
mech?

thanks for your time

#2 NineTails

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

The difference isn't between hero (MC) mechs and standard mechs. It's between stock/trial mechs and the mechs driven by more experienced players, using more advanced loadouts. The trial mechs range from mediocre to (much more often) terrible. You're not going to get a lot of damage out of them compared to the min-max'd builds that get used.

In any case, it's certainly not the case that the real-money mechs are inherently better. Honestly, I don't think there are any real-money 'mechs that are distinctly better than c-bill alternatives. The Muromets and the Misery are good, but not even really the best at their jobs. The CTF-3D is better than the Muromets and the AS7-RS is better than the Misery.

#3 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

You only need MC to buy hero mechs. They just have different weapon configurations, it is the same base mech. Did you buy the AWS-PB?

If you used up your cadet bonus (extra cbills from your fist matches) and don't like your fist mech start a new account, you will sell your awesome back for 1/3 what you bought it for.

Edited by joedawg39s, 03 August 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#4 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

View PostIonPhoenix, on 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

So, i can't buy hardly anything,now,yet at some point, was able to buy an Awesome.

Every mech is tied to MC.

I'm afraid to sell my awesome, to get a different mech, because of needing MC
to buy any mech.

So, i've played alot of matches, and never seem to be able to take out any of
the MC mechs. even ones, much smaller, and i see damage going to where i placed
the shots, but not very much, even with 3 er ppcs and 1 small laser alpha'ed to location.

Now, i'm not a noob, in mechs or in online gaming.

I'm a guildmaster currently,in TOR, and played Mechwarrior(snes), MW2(pc),
MW3(pc),MW4/MW4 mercs(pc).

My question is: Do i have to spend real money to have a chance and buy an MC mech?

My second question is: If i sell my awesome, will i get back, whatever, i need to buy another
mech?

thanks for your time

MC mechs (hero mechs) are mostly far from overpowered. The only REALLY good one as far as I know is the Misery. Ilya Muromets is just good, but not as good as the CTF-3D for example. Then there are some pretty awful ones, such as Death's Knell.

The only reason you lose to hero mechs is because of the hit detection problems you mentioned. And believe me, you are not the only one. At its worst I quit playing the game for months because I got fed up with my projectiles going through enemies like 30-40% of time while the enemy was hitting me multiple seconds after I had ran behind cover.

#5 TB Azrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Every mech is tied MC to give you the option to buy it with cash (which I'm sure they want ;) ) if you do not have the cbills. MC Hero mechs biggest advantage is that they give you a decent cbill boost while using them - they are not OP. They do not have significant armor or weapon loadouts compared to a player modified mech.

If you sell the awesome you will not receive a decent amount back. (which you should be able to tell by trying to but not accepting), keep the awesome and grind a bit or buy some premium time if you really have to have it.

#6 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Also if you mean the non-hero mechs (which you can buy with MC) never ever buy them with MC. buying them with MC does not make them any better then if you bought them with the ingame money (and would be a waste of actual money to for that matter).

The hero mechs are just different but not really any better at least not to any discernible amount.

#7 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

yeah if you buy MC spend it on mech bays (and some cool paint jobs), once you get the hang of things you will have more C-bills then you know what to do with.

#8 IonPhoenix

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

my awesome is aws 8q

i read the weapons specs about ranges and min and max, so i understand that.

as far as buying mechs, all i see are ones with both an mc req, and credits req.

#9 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

its MC or Cbills

#10 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

MC mechs are almost universally terrible. The only ones I can think of that are good and that you can't replicate with C-Bill mechs are the Ilya Muromets and the Misery.

EDIT:

OP, maybe you can post your build and ppl can offer advice? It seems to me like it would run really hot - ERPPC is hot to begin with, and firing more than two of them confers a heat penalty.

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 03 August 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostNineTails, on 03 August 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

The difference isn't between hero (MC) mechs and standard mechs. It's between stock/trial mechs and the mechs driven by more experienced players, using more advanced loadouts. The trial mechs range from mediocre to (much more often) terrible. You're not going to get a lot of damage out of them compared to the min-max'd builds that get used.

Stock mechs are reasonably viable, but their typical 40 maximum heat capacity (limit to shutdown) versus any owned mech's typical 50 capacity minimum and 70+ capacity average with elite unlocks is what screws poor stock mechs over. Combine that with balancing tweaks of rising heat for wimpy weapons and lowering heat for powerful weapons and is it any wonder they haven't got a chance?

This is something recent and a good read. It's a breakdown of the heat system from tabletop, MW2, MW3, MW4, and MWO.
----------
But on the main topic here and to the original poster: you can use cbills to purchase almost any mech. The first mechs on the list of buying a mech are champions and heroes. Click the "L" "M" "H" "A" mech icons to find mechs.

Posted Image
On this picture I have 201 bottom center, and to the right of that I have 1,914,838 . I do not have enough to buy with , so the option is grayed out. I do have enough to buy it with which you earn in game. The option is available.

I wish they used "Buy WITH MC" and "Buy WITH CB". It would make it so much easier to understand.

Edited by Koniving, 03 August 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#12 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

TO reiterate all standard variants can be purchased with C-bills (Ingame money earned through playing the game) or MC (Cashshop money purchased with real money). Hero mechs are ONLY MC and none afford a mech a strong enough edge to be considered OP, however their +30% boost to cbills earned helps with outfiting your mechs faster with new gear or buying cbill mechs.

Champion mechs are a standard variant that has a +10% boost to xp earned and can only be purchased with MC, and generally are regarded as a waste of money.

The only other exception is the Sarah's Jenner mech for charity and the founders mechs (which have 25% cbill boost, but are no longer purchased.) and the as yet unreleased Project Phoenix mechs (Which will have a bonus to cbills earned and the currently not implemented Faction gained).

-----------------

The bigger issue is as the Awesome is regarded as the worst assault mech, and its your first mech meaning it at best only has the basic skill tree unlocked, its performing worse then more seasoned pilots. If you really like the awesome, and just want to get better with it, keep at it and pick up two more awesome variants, its incredibly important you fill out the basic and Elite trees. (Though its mostly just important to get access to and finish one elite tree, finishing all three elite trees would let you get the Master mod slot opened, though thats something less important to worry about.)

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

For Awesomes, I do recommend this little guide to help you along. Remember the Awesome has never, in any form of mechwarrior or battletech, ever, been a front line mech. You are combat support. You stay behind the front lines.

http://mwomercs.com/...esome-awesomes/

It's a pretty decent guide. There's further, though minor, role concepts for every Awesome in my own post there.

#14 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

The biggest downside to having to get 3 awesomes is you're probably going to want to get a 9M (the fast one) which will set you back close to 20 million c-bills when you factor in endo, double heatsinks and the engine...

#15 Sheraf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

To me the mechs you can buy with cbill are better than mc mechs. MC mechs only have slightly different weapon hardpoints setup.

#16 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

MC mechs are not more powerful than c-bill mechs. Some hero mechs are a little bit worse (but they look cool, and you get bonuses from Hero mechs. They are a long-term investment, meaning the MC you spend on them, will be worth more value the more you use the Hero mech because of the C-bills bonus).

Don't sell any mechs or weapons. this is very much a collecting and customizing game. Collect Weapons, Collect Engines, Collect C-bills, Collect XP, Collect Mechs. Customize.
Don't sell a damn thing, it's never worth it. You'll be just as happy, if not happier, to keep the mech, and just use MC to buy Mech Bays to expand your mech collection, and buy premium time to earn c-bills and xp faster.

Do not sell anything.
Ever.
If you really want that mech badly, you sure can use MC, but don't sell one mech to get another. Use the mech you don't like and find an easy load out that you're comfortable with. Play that for a while until you rounded up c-bills again to buy another mech (but note, if you sold weapons, or use all your c-bills buying a mech, you'll have to still grind out in one of your [now] two mechs to get more c-bills.) Your new mech is stock. So it's recommended that you save up some extra c-bills, buy Endo and DHS first. Then I recommend using the c-bills you gain after that to change out weapons.

Finding a load out on a mech that you like can be expensive when you don't own any weapons, which means you need to buy weapons to try them out first, but do not sell the weapons you swap off your mech because they weren't for you. You will use them on other mechs in the future, and it will help make things cheaper and help you save c-bills. Eventually, all the c-bills you need are for Mechs, and Mech Upgrades.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 03 August 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Since finding a loadout that works is difficult, use this to experiment.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab Smurfy, the most common tool.
http://mechromancer.wordoflowtax.com/ A resourceful tool that allows you to factor in more factors of the mech as well as expand on how they would increase with various unlocks.

There's an even better one from another group -- someone link it? I freaking love it but since so few use it I can never keep track of the link.

#18 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 03 August 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Don't sell any mechs or weapons. this is very much a collecting and customizing game. Collect Weapons, Collect Engines, Collect C-bills, Collect XP, Collect Mechs. Customize.
Don't sell a damn thing, it's never worth it. You'll be just as happy, if not happier, to keep the mech, and just use MC to buy Mech Bays to expand your mech collection, and buy premium time to earn c-bills and xp faster.

I don't think it's quite that cut and dry.

I like having a ton of mechs at my disposal, but when I mastered the Jenners, I sold my -K model because, well, everything I could do with the D I could do with the K (I later sold my D when I bought the D(S)). I did the same with my Victors, sold one of the 3 chassis that I simply decided I didn't need, as the hardpoints weren't different enough and I didn't like the unique build I was likely to use on that mech (3 Ballistic on 1 arm wasn't very useful on an assault).

Also, Do I really need 20 standard Heat Sinks? How about 4 245 Engines? 50 Medium Lasers? At some point, you're hording, and you can save yourself some grind by being wise about what you sell.

That said, do think twice before you sell anything that costs more than 200,000 to replace. I've cleared out all my standard engines, but none of them were ones I was likely to want to use ever again. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever sell an XL engine, they're just too darn expensive to want to ever replace.

Still, I do do a fair amount of engine/part swapping for some of the more expensive items (Gauss, AC20, Engines) to save some

I like having a ton of mechs at my disposal, but when I mastered the Jenners, I sold my -K model because, well, everything I could do with the D I could do with the K (I later sold my D when I bought the D(S)). I did the same with my Victors, sold one of the 3 chassis that I simply decided I didn't need, as the hardpoints weren't different enough and I didn't like the unique build I was likely to use on that mech (3 Ballistic on 1 arm wasn't very useful on an assault).

Also, Do I really need 20 standard Heat Sinks? How about 4 245 Engines? 50 Medium Lasers? At some point, you're hording, and you can save yourself some grind by being wise about what you sell.

That said, do think twice before you sell anything that costs more than 200,000 to replace. I've cleared out all my standard engines, but none of them were ones I was likely to want to use ever again. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever sell an XL engine, they're just too darn expensive to want to ever replace.

Still, I do do a fair amount of engine/part swapping for some of the more expensive items (Gauss, AC20, Engines) to save some

#19 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

In answer to your question:

No, you don't need MC to buy mechs.
Use C-bills to buy mechs.

Advice:
I'd definitely consider selling the Awesome - pretty much ANY mech is better.
Make sure you have enough C-bills to buy your next mech.

Or simply restart another account - after 25 games on trial mechs you should be able to buy any mech.

#20 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

You need 3 chassis of that type owned to master that mech. ...and the 8Q is a mech wich is hard to play. Buy a mech wich is more easy to handel as beginner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users