- - - - -

Atlas As7 D-Dc, I Feel Like A Big Sister

33 replies to this topic

#1 Cyred

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hello again folks! I joined this game about 2 days ago, watched some guides and stuff and i think i have gotten great control of my own mech, and effective range of my weapons, I chose an Atlas as7 D-DC with 20 heatsinks
1 AC/20
3 SMR 6
2 M lasers.

but for being a big *** schoolyard bully I feel more like a big sister then a big brute, but now its a fact that schoolyard bullies are big sisters anyway, but i kinda feel like I am sitting in a light mech with just extra armor, because my firepower dosent feel dirty enough to cut through at the moment it is 66 i still need a bit of learning, so its no doubt my fault that this mech feels like big sister, but i dont really know what to do to Cut through the enemies easier to make it feels like the brute it look like. btw my mech is work in progress, so by no means is it finished customized yet!

any Atlases with tips? :(

#2 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

Try changing the M lasers, for PPC's, Large Lasers or Large Pulse Lasers.

#3 Cyred

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:16 AM

alright, ty! but damn, multipost error:|

#4 Bracchus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 125 posts
  • LocationThe cold north of Sweden

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:28 AM

I run mine armed with 2x AC5 and 2x Large Pulse Lasers. Worked fine, with the recent buff to SRMs I would problably try to get some of those on there as well.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

SRMs without Artemis aren't that scary so you will need that upgrade. Cutting through enemies is mostly just aiming with different weapon types. You cannot fire them all at the same time unless they are standing still or walking right towards you. You will have to fire each weapon individually in a moving battle but it's always best to try to get a shot at something that isn't strafing.

Practice with each weapon individually so that you can fire them quickly even if it's not an alpha strike. Make sure that you are engaging enemies within 270m or less for maximum damage and prioritize slow moving targets over fast ones until you get the hang of it.

#6 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

Or maybe swap out your AC20 for two LB10 X. At close range with your SRM6s it's like a shotgun that will literally destroy your enemies very, very quickly. Also, if you've only been playing a couple of days, with this loadout you don't need to worry so much about aiming. As long as you are close enough and looking at the enemy you will hit.

#7 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

2 lbx10's on an atlas is hilariously good fun, and I played mine like that all the way through leveling it, they do indeed stack very well with the SRM's. But for more brute punch these days I prefer 2 large lasers, SRM's and 2 ultra AC'5's, its a goodly amount of Dakka.

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

I agree Rascula that your loadout has more punch, but when you can get a Stalker and a Highlander to back up it's pretty sweet (Happened for me once.) Also, as a new player there's a lot to learn about piloting and aiming, and 2 LBs and SRMs takes a lot of the pressure off of that whole aiming thing. I'll tell you, as a light pilot, a DDC with an AC 20 doesn't bother me, but those two LBs combined with srms will make me run away .

#9 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

I don't have anything to add, since the Atlai pilots have already dropped some good info. Other then saying: Welcome to MW:O! Hope your enjoying your stay! Good hunting!

#10 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Hi, and welcome!

I think that, while in general the DDC's strength is more sustained damage than burst damage, you might be looking for a build with two Ultra Autocannons. Those things are somewhat unreliable, but burn through armor frighteningly fast in conjunction with Artemis SRMs and lasers.

Other than that, I'd recommend an engine size of 325-350 - Atlases really need the mobility and turning/torso-twisting speed, basically.

#11 Joe Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

The key to your build is the torso twist. Everyone will focus on your AC/20. You charge straight toward them twisted away from them if less than 270m alpha their CT. If greater just fire ML and AC/20, then twist until you are ready to fire again. Be sure to twist both directions, It takes practice to get good at it, but that is the brawler key to victory.

P.S. I have seen people use the free look key to stay centered on there target to twist and it looked amazing, but I have failed every time to make it work.
I often use 'C' to center to legs to make tracking easier.

#12 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostJoe Kid, on 04 August 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

The key to your build is the torso twist.
I often use 'C' to center to legs to make tracking easier.

This boy knows his stuff.. This is very good advice for any pilot not just a novice.

#13 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

I run it with LLs and SRM4s. Put the LLs on chain fire on button 1, AC20 and SRM4s on chain fire on button 2.

But I hear you on this mech's role: I feel like I'm herding my teammates. You never want to be first in the fray in an Atlas, because EVERYONE will be shooting at you, and you also need to keep your team (or at least the fellow slow-movers) under the ECM bubble.

#14 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostCyred, on 04 August 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Hello again folks! I joined this game about 2 days ago, watched some guides and stuff and i think i have gotten great control of my own mech, and effective range of my weapons, I chose an Atlas as7 D-DC with 20 heatsinks
1 AC/20
3 SMR 6
2 M lasers.

but for being a big *** schoolyard bully I feel more like a big sister then a big brute, but now its a fact that schoolyard bullies are big sisters anyway, but i kinda feel like I am sitting in a light mech with just extra armor, because my firepower dosent feel dirty enough to cut through at the moment it is 66 i still need a bit of learning, so its no doubt my fault that this mech feels like big sister, but i dont really know what to do to Cut through the enemies easier to make it feels like the brute it look like. btw my mech is work in progress, so by no means is it finished customized yet!

any Atlases with tips? :wacko:

Keeping most of your weapons the same, this build will cost you a few million c-bills in upgrades. You need double heat sinks, period, so get those. Then we, the Brotherhood of Atlai, strongly recommend a 325 engine for more speed, maneuverability, torso twisting defense, and to better track those annoying little faster mechs. If you can afford those, this is a decent build http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10f78bed39e2eb4

If you can't afford the engine yet... this build is ok as well. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9e1f229356057a0

The PPC's give you a great way to reach out and touch the enemy, and the AMS reduces the damage you and your friends around you will take from LRM attacks. However, it's going to run a little hot, and the PPC's do less damage under 90 meters so when you're point blank (less than 60meters I'd say) don't use them if you're in a real brawl, rely on your missiles and AC20.

#15 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

I found running mine with an AC/5 and an AC/10 to be good fun. Gives you a little extra range with the AC/5. But the big thing is the guass like damage with half the cool down.

The biggest thing with a ddc brawler is making sure to use cover to approach. If you can deny sniper builds the ability to soften you up as you approach, you'll wreak them when you get into your effective range.

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

1 ERPP
1 Gauss
3 SRM6 serves me rather well an gives me some reach to aide in the long game. Without gimping the brawling.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 05 August 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#17 NineTails

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cada5e6a45822b5 is the canonical AS7-D-DC build. It sounds like you're running pretty close to that already. I find that this build is one of the biggest damage sources available in the game today, so, without wanting to be insulting, I might suggest more practice with it. Any single enemy mech is pretty much incapable of killing me before I rip their CT open with the AC and SRMs (setting aside pilot error; I am solid but hardly elite).

It is very important to keep in mind that this is a very short-ranged build. If you expose yourself to enemy fire at ranges outside your effective range, you can very quickly find yourself dead or severely damaged without a lot to show for it. And, of course, not even an Atlas can stand in front of half the enemy team and hope for it to end well.

In the end, I strongly recommend that you stick with the D-DC. IMHO, it's the single best PUG drop 'mech in the game today. It will reward your patience.

#18 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

This is a current favorite Dual UAC/5: AS7-D-DC

When a dual UAC gets into a chain mood - the metal just peels away. This build has lower alpha (44) but still a good punch, and runs quite cool if managed. Even better once you Elite it. I run support tools: BAP, ECM, and AMS. Folks are increasingly using TAG and besides taking out missiles is reduced damaged whether targeted at me or team mate.

There are many fun ways to play a D-DC.

If new to Assaults there is a learning curve. I didn't look at the Atlas for a long time nearly 1000 matches and then, I followed a AS7-K on a rampage circling Forest Colony. Wished I had it recorded, was a sight to behold. One of those perfect games, after that well...

Take it slow follow others for awhile, hang back to look for engagement opportunities. You don't have the be the Alpha of the pack. Assaults may be tougher and while you have a greater threshold of mistake allowance, you can still get into nasty situations that make you feel helpless.

#19 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

My favorite way to play a D-DC is with 2x Ultra AC5, 3x SRM6, and 2 Medium Lasers. keep moving, keep twisting, and keep those UAC/5s going.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

AC/20 is good
SRM6s are weak
MedLas are weak

IMO Gauss/PPCx2 is the way to go on the D-DC right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users