The melee combat thread.

100 replies to this topic

#21 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Would I like to punch a Masakari in the face? Sure. But it is not essential to me to have melee combat in the game--it would not make or break my interest.

#22 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

Honestly, melee combat was one of the few advantages that the clans had.

Im not quite sure why they couldnt do something like having a melee mode and allow for the toggling of melee mode and using the hat on a joystick for aiming melee strikes.

This is one thing that has always disappointed me with previous Mechwarrior games, was the lack of melee capability.

I can live with not having the choice of combined forces so long as they atleast include NPC type units that can be garrisoned on worlds and deployed by field commanders. I just think it's time to take a serious look at adding one of the things that allowed the IS to ultimately prevail over the clans, not to mention something that is a big part of the IS(Lyrons and Draconis especially).

#23 infinite xaer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

charging and DFA melee? yes. kicking and punching melee? no

#24 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

I'd like to see a basic punch on some mechs, the ones it makes sense on.

Something like a knife in battlefield, although, probably not a one hit kill. Like a shovel/bat/what have you from TF2.

No karate or grapling of course. Just a "melee" button for emergency/humiliation attacks. Something not really practical, but there.

Of course if its left out altogether, no big deal.

#25 fc teh v

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

Melee should be in option. IS pilots were a down and dirty bunch who if needed would throw a punch or two to win a battle. That and being in a hunchback when you try to move in for a punch will be so awesome when I bring AC20 down on your poor mech head.

#26 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Punching and kicking would be great and I would love to see the melee mechs such as the Hatchetman and the Axeman. Those who specialized in urban combat.

#27 Terminator98

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Mauritius

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

Dis.

Posted Image

Of course, one should scale down the damage accordingly and all so that it's not a OHK, and I"d imagine that this would rather damage your own limbs as well. Melee should be like a twin edged sword.

But oh, I can still keep dreaming even though I know melee won't be in...

#28 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

I don't feel that Melee fits in a world of 100 ton robots. If we follow Melee to its logic conclusions as show in concept art, we are just people in metal suits ... that's silly. The beauty of MechWarrior is that it is a war of information, not hand to hand combat, not arcade button smashing for hours.

It’s a gentleman's chess game. Now if we are calling Melee to mean using jump jets and ramming, sure ... it's probably more harmful to your mech than you'd like but could keep you alive.

#29 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:56 AM

View Postdradiin, on 31 October 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

Umm Triple Strength Myomer on a Berzerker = dead assault in 2 hits. Course thats having very far out there technology added tot he game and i am sure there will not be TSM in the game anytime soon.

When it came to urban warfare the Berzerker with either MASC or TSM was a very scary image to see ducking in and out of buildings getting closer and closer till BAM your entire core is smashed out the back of your mech, that or your missing and entire side of your torso.

Melee fighting in any of the MW gams has been an after thought, while it is a very useful and viable tactic in the game. Why have arms and legs if you dont use them for combat use other then a weapons platform ? If thats the case and Melee is not used why bother with a Mech design ? would be more cost effective to just make massive tanks. Which there are those also in the game universe.

Capellans already have mechs with triple strength in 3049...not many but they do have them.

Like a lot of people have said Im ok with melee if they can execute it well. However, the time and energy that will take will probably mean we won't see it in the I itial release. Which I am 100% ok with. Gimme my MW now!!!! :)

#30 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:59 AM

I'll be happy if they simply implement collission damage. DFAs and charging were a staple in BattleTech.

#31 Terminator98

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Mauritius

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:31 AM

Melee will be used only in close quarters, so there is still plenty of room left for ranged weapons. Let us remember that melee mechs are very rare, and melee is used only in close quarters.

It would be like a surprise trump card.

*Imagine Scenario*

The enemy is walking in a city, and when it goes around a corner, an Atlas punches it in the FACE (or grapples and beats it down with the AC20 o.o)

MANLINESS.

OP you say? Just keep away from that huge piece of slow walking Metal and it won't ever touch you....

#32 Tal Kath Naabal

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOrbit

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:49 AM

before i start: i have read the FAQ
------

I would love to see limited melee on certain mechs. I'm totally into realism, and why does the Atlas have hands otherwise? (and other mechs) Of course as they've said, they want the feeling of HUGE MECH combat, so if you end up that close and all else fails, that cumbersome punch is gonna take like a whole one and a half seconds to connect, and expect it to wobble your mech and throw you off balance. Hell you might even fall over if they punch you first.

I really hated just running into someone in MW4 and, oh look at that, you stopped. >.< If I run into a Kit Fox (Uller) in an Atlas there is gonna be some really bent metal. It only makes sense!!

btw: kicking in your mech is a really good way to end up on the ground where, oh no! Stepitty| | Step | Stomp -- Boom.

#33 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:09 AM

Would like to see some sort of Melee / physicals added at a later date.

Punch, Kick, Hatchet/Sword, Charges, DFA's, even Pushing...especially with all the urban combat we should be seeing.

#34 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

View PostS3dition, on 31 October 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

Melee would make this the robot equivalent of MW or BF. The last thing I want in my mech simulator is knife kills.

Robot equivalent of MechWarrior or BattleForce? Big dubyu.
Besides, it would add some more tactics to the game.

The Faq already stated NO MELEE

So much for that, then.

Kicks are an important weapon in every mech's arsenal, but especially the light mechs.

Light 'Mechs generally don't do much kicking, well, except to an exposed rear-torso perhaps.
Although a Light 'Mech with a Large Vibroblade (3059+ :) ) would be rather scary.

Would I like to punch a Masakari in the face? Sure. But it is not essential to me to have melee combat in the game--it would not make or break my interest.

Depends on the 'Mech I'm piloting, but a potencial headcapper is always nice.

#35 Pilot Revant

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:15 AM

I'm all for it, as long as it looks clumbersome and slow.

I don't wanting it turning into the uncounterable, one hit KO of CoD knifing.

Say a Atlas has a lumbering, slow but devastating punch, but because the Atlas iss so slow its not much of a threat.

Hatchetman I could see zipping around from cover to cover trying to get close, before dealing a horribly devastating strike. But its offset by the paltry ranged and electronic options it has.

#36 Kenichero

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

I agree halfway with this, I think mechs built with melee in mind should be able to use it. Hatchman ect and I also think maybe punching or shoving but anything to advanced would be a pain. HOWEVER, I very much agree with the ramming. The Highlander (90 ton with jump jets) was built to jump and crush smaller mechs (highlander burial) and even light mechs could be used to cause massive damage to larger mechs by jumping on them. In one of the books a pilot used a firestarter to jump on the head of an assault mech. Of course it should cause damage to the jumping mech too...

#37 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

I throw my support for melee, and all the other fluff that having functional hands came with. Working with the first set of mechs we have: I want to see raiding parties of Hunchbacks lugging shipping containers of rare parts back to the dropship, with Jenners providing cover fire.

#38 Vaneshi SnowCrash

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

No. I don't think melee combat should be in the MMO. Not for any technological reasons or development issues it would cause (the old reason was lack of computing power... not so much these days) but because in the board game the reward for luring your opponent(s) in to an ambush is... an Axman (or Hatchetman) to the face.

Now that sounds loverly and wonderful until you put it in a real time computer game. Even powered down I can still see you on my screen and if I can see you powered down I am going to shoot you, if you've got yourself good and hidden what happens when you spring the trap? Enemy Mech power up detected, a new blip on my radar and a second later your in receipt of an alpha strike to the face... probably from my whole lance... maybe whilst you're airborne jumping in to close combat. Keep in mind I'm still moving so a burning hulk will land somewhere behind me and I'll be peppering your parachute with 20mm MG fire before moving on.

So as much as I'd like to join the chorus of people wanting an AXN-2N to pilot I also realise that it'd be a suicide run to actually use it as a close combat mech killer... and just not worth the c-bills or the dev time.

#39 Johnathan McKenna

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

I totally agree that from a lore perspective it would really fit in with this game, but I just don't see how it could be implemented without feeling really awkward.

#40 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

View Postpcunite, on 04 November 2011 - 04:46 AM, said:

I don't feel that Melee fits in a world of 100 ton robots. If we follow Melee to its logic conclusions as show in concept art, we are just people in metal suits ... that's silly. The beauty of MechWarrior is that it is a war of information, not hand to hand combat, not arcade button smashing for hours.

It’s a gentleman's chess game. Now if we are calling Melee to mean using jump jets and ramming, sure ... it's probably more harmful to your mech than you'd like but could keep you alive.

Er,no. Battlemechs have been punching and kicking and smashing each other for centuries- it's not only natural, it's encouraged.

What I'd like to see is an option that disengages weapons fire and swaps to punch/kick options with a fairly wide "cone" on hit location. For crying out loud, it's part of the reason many 'Mechs HAVE hands...the better to smack someone in the face with. Mech melee weapons range from the girder you yanked out of a wrecked building to vibroblades, multi-ton swords, and even retractable blades you can *snickt* into an opponent to nail them with an armor-bypassing attack.

Posted Image
That's from TRO 3025. The hatchet isn't just for show. Melee in Battletech is a vital part of the game. And howabout this guy?

Posted Image
Without his fists and feet, he's an 80-ton assault 'Mech whose only options are five dinky small lasers. He's MADE to wade in and pummel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users