3 replies to this topic

#1 Erbun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationFlorida US

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the past, but I think with MWO at the stage that it is in now, being free to play, partnering with Valve to put MWO on steam would be a shot in the arm for this game.

THoughts?

Apologies for the multi-posts. Was getting a database error and didn't realize that it actually was posting.

#2 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

It's a terrible idea and it wouldn't work
Getting a game on Steam isn't as simple as you may think
put simply, Valve puts a lot of pressure on developers and given the current state of the game where PGI can't even handle what it has on it's plate it just seems like asking for trouble.

#3 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I believe Steam also takes a cut of profits from microtransactions for every free to play game they host. So for every purchase of MC, Steam takes some of PGI's profits.

It would be a matter of whether or not Steam hosting would bring in more paying customers than Steam takes from PGI's profits. It could theoretically end up in an overall loss of money for the game.

#4 Erbun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationFlorida US

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

It could theoretically be a loss, yes. However, given the amount of new players the exposure would bring, versus the hit per transaction, I think they would actually make out quite well. Of course, It's all conjecture as I don't really have any numbers.

It just seems like the only people that know about MWO are the ones playing it, and have been playing Mechwarrior for years. And even I find many of them that haven't heard of it. This game really needs some exposure. Bad.

Destructicus raises a very good point, though I must admit to not being aware of how much pressure Steam puts on their game devs that publish.

I think PGI has been handling things pretty damn good, given what I know an endeavuour like this requires. I was in closed beta over a year ago, and the game has come a long way. Yes it still has much more to go, but they have done one helluva job of finding a balance between making the game fun to play, and getting in new features.

But again, while I know what it takes for a game to get on Steam, I don't work for Valve or PGI, so I can only guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users