92 replies to this topic

#81 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 29 August 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I will be able to hopefully one day aha!

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/47875

since i love my dragons and beeing a lego-enthusiast, this would be a no-brainer :)
please tell me if this really goes to sale in the future

#82 Fr0z7y

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 66 posts
  • Locationbehind 73h_m0nz73r

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

screw whether or not it will go on sale, how about you give me the list of ALL the lego peices you have used to make it, they have a guide online that will let you buy the individual bricks you need... ill just buy it like that and build your creation in real life and show it to you ;p

#83 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I would be honored! However, the price maaaaaaaaaaay deter you... The extra weapons are also not included, but I can give you the instruction booklet for them if you so wish!

Here's the instruction booklet with all the pieces on the last page:

https://docs.google....mVEU/edit?pli=1

Here's the shopping basket of all the pieces available on Pick A Brick, but for some colour issues I've had to change for example a few grey pieces to black, so don't worry if you're building it and you can't find the right colour. You can go through the shopping basket again, but I must warn you it took me a fair few hours.

http://shop.lego.com...25-45E17E3304B3

And here are the pieces you'll have to get from the Replacement Service, as they're not on Pick A Brick for some reason:

https://service.lego...arts/#BasicInfo

Required Pieces

2 x 4213374 JOINT LINK W. BUSH - Black

2 x 4225973 BRICK 2X2 Ø4.85 FEMALE - Dark Stone Grey

2 x 4619760 BRICK 2X2 W. CUP FOR BALL - Dark Stone Grey

2 x 4225921 BRICK 2X2 Ø4.85 VERTIC. SNAP - Bright Red

4 x 428721 ROOF TILE 1X3/25° INV. - Bright Red

4 x 304621 CORNER BRICK 2X2/45° INSIDE - Bright Red

1 x 619221 BOWED ROOF RIDGE 2X4X1 - Bright Red

1 x 617921 PLATE 4X4 W. 4 ***** - Bright Red

1 x 657621 PLATE 4X8 W. 12 ***** - Bright Red

2 x 4646860 FLAT TILE 1X1, ROUND - Tr. Green

8 x 245021 CORNER PLATE 45 DEG. 3X3 - Bright Red

4 x 4183050 PLATE 1X2 W/FORK/VERTICAL/END - Bright Red

2 x 4144024 T-BEAM W. PLATE 1X2 W. TUBE - Black

Edited by GizmoGecko, 12 September 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#84 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 12 September 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Here's the shopping basket of all the pieces available on Pick A Brick, but for some colour issues I've had to change for example a few grey pieces to black, so don't worry if you're building it and you can't find the right colour. You can go through the shopping basket again, but I must warn you it took me a fair few hours.

http://shop.lego.com...25-45E17E3304B3

i get a page-not-found-error with this link... whats the over-all-price? :rolleyes:

#85 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostVIPER2207, on 12 September 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

i get a page-not-found-error with this link... whats the over-all-price? :rolleyes:

I think it came to £142 which is $224.63. You could try opening the Pick A Brick on Fire Fox if that makes a difference? If not, then I guess you'll have to look at the last page of the instruction booklet and put each piece in one by one.

Edited by GizmoGecko, 12 September 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#86 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Really enjoyed this process, and I think a few of you guys liked it too, so I'm making the time to do a third 'mech to celebrate the Clans. It will be one which I was able to more reasonably pre-order thanks to the 'A La Carte' option, which I couldn't resist after having spent years pining for it from the MW4 Solaris Jungle poster and then practising with it thanks to one of the later expansion packs. Guessed it yet?

PS. I intend this design to be more affordable this time...

Edited by GizmoGecko, 01 March 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#87 The Luggage

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hey. Just came across this topic and thought the Dragon was absolutely awesome. I personally have been trying something a little smaller:
https://imageshack.com/i/f01bce9cj
https://imageshack.com/i/hjd771daj
https://imageshack.com/i/ipc7d6e1j
https://imageshack.com/i/ipa0e59cj
https://imageshack.com/i/id5ea224j
I haven't posted an image before so I hope it shows up. You should just be able to open the images in a new tab.

Obviously (hopefully) it's a Cataphract and it is, in fact, much, much smaller than GizmoGecko's Dragon.

Just thought I'd post it to see what the community thinks.
If you have any advice for changing aspects of the design I would love to hear them.

Edited by The Luggage, 17 July 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#88 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 07 August 2013 - 06:38 AM, said:

Update:

I've just started working on the cockpit now, and hopefully I'll be able to get close to having similar windows with the pieces available.

Below is a rather simple hatch technique I've created, consisting of two rods which the hatch door can slide along as it opens and closes. (Warning, innuendos incoming!)Posted Image

Notice the little red extension at the back of the hatch with a little flat 1x2 black piece attached below it. This is so you can easily grip it between two fingers and pull out the hatch door.

With the two flat red perpendicular pieces either side, the extension doesn't look odd or out of place.
Posted Image

Just going to finish the cockpit now and hopefully finish the shoulders at least by the end of today

Also, an update on the knee positioning. Hope it's better now.

Posted Image

Furthermore, I've made an estimate of £54. Which although a high price, is rather cheap compared to some of the crap Lego are selling now for such ridiculous prices.

Any feedback or criticisms are very much welcome! (That's why I'm doing this!)

Amen about how much lego is charging, the prices are so ridiculous! Pretty soon it will cast 50 bucks for a 50 peice set!
VERY nice work on the dragon, it's one of my favorite mechs and it's good to see one in Lego :)

#89 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hey there. Love that Dragon and have been looking into constructing a model of one of my personal favorites, the Stalker.

Howerver, as it turns out, the designers didn't pull any punches with that massive structure. I'm having a little trouble shrinking everything down to reasonable size and then LDD crashed on me, which sucked.

EDIT: Okay, spend some time thinking about the construction and figured that if I can't get it smaller, I'll just have to make it bigger :(

Maybe I'm not giving the parts enough credit for their durability but I figured that if i wanna get some serious size on that baby, I'm gonna need more structural strenght. And the best idea that came to mind was a skeleton structure that would carry most of the load and take weight off the actuators. This is what it looks like:

Posted Image

What do you think? Overkill much?

Edited by SethAbercromby, 17 July 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#90 GizmoGecko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostThe Luggage, on 16 July 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Hey. Just came across this topic and thought the Dragon was absolutely awesome. I personally have been trying something a little smaller:
Posted Image
I haven't posted an image before so I hope it shows up.

Obviously (hopefully) it's a Cataphract and it is, in fact, much, much smaller than GizmoGecko's Dragon.

Just thought I'd post it to see what the community thinks.
If you have any advice for changing aspects of the design I would love to hear them.

Thank you! Upload your image to a site like imageshack with an account, then copy and paste the url for the file.

Larger models take longer, allow more detail and give a sense of achievement when complete. Smaller ones I feel allow more creativity and a personal touch, and they make nice little dinky things to have on your desk.

Excited to see what you've done when you've managed to post it :)

View PostMech42Ace, on 17 July 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

Amen about how much lego is charging, the prices are so ridiculous! Pretty soon it will cast 50 bucks for a 50 peice set!
VERY nice work on the dragon, it's one of my favorite mechs and it's good to see one in Lego :ph34r:

I know, definitely saving all my Lego for my kids when I'm older (and for myself of course).

Thank you very muchly!

View PostSethAbercromby, on 17 July 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Hey there. Love that Dragon and have been looking into constructing a model of one of my personal favorites, the Stalker.

Howerver, as it turns out, the designers didn't pull any punches with that massive structure. I'm having a little trouble shrinking everything down to reasonable size and then LDD crashed on me, which sucked.

EDIT: Okay, spend some time thinking about the construction and figured that if I can't get it smaller, I'll just have to make it bigger B)

Maybe I'm not giving the parts enough credit for their durability but I figured that if i wanna get some serious size on that baby, I'm gonna need more structural strenght. And the best idea that came to mind was a skeleton structure that would carry most of the load and take weight off the actuators. This is what it looks like:

Posted Image

What do you think? Overkill much?

Can tell you've thought about that knee design, inspires me just looking at it. Are you able to get the hinge tool to work on those legs though, not sure if the outer articulating parts and the inner articulating will allow each other to bend the knee as one?

If it's your first big design, then try start simple in regards to construction, but if you're feeling confident and adventurous with a few ideas then by all means go for it and experiment throughout your design.

I'm excited to see your progression!

In regards to myself, I'm currently working on an Adder, at a more 1:1 minifigure scale, so it won't fit with the Dragon, as I basically just stuffed a mini figure in there as best I could. Completed the upper torso generally, all that remains is the cobra hud cover, arms and legs

I'm doing it by hand and not LDD as I want to bring a design to life this time, and the cost of it is too dire in regards to my Dragon, Hellhound and Masakari. I'll update once it's complete.

Edited by GizmoGecko, 17 July 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#91 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

View PostGizmoGecko, on 17 July 2014 - 12:53 PM, said:

Can tell you've thought about that knee design, inspires me just looking at it. Are you able to get the hinge tool to work on those legs though, not sure if the outer articulating parts and the inner articulating will allow each other to bend the knee as one?

If it's your first big design, then try start simple in regards to construction, but if you're feeling confident and adventurous with a few ideas then by all means go for it and experiment throughout your design.

I'm excited to see your progression!

Yup, it did take a few attempts until LDD accepted the construction as one large hinge. I supect it's because I'm currently running the program in save mode after the first crash, which severely limits its performance.
*EDIT* I just did the same construction for the other leg and i got the same result where the hinge would immediately snap into a 90° ange and refuse to move. Spamming the heck out of the hinge alingnment tool solved that for me (the first time I did it out of frustration, now I've got evidence).

Once I've made some more progress on the leg structure, I'll work my up to the torso.

I hope to get some good progress in the next few days to open up a thread for showcasing and further progress.

Also excited to see your progress on the Adder.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 17 July 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#92 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Awesome!

#93 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

Okay, before I get some actual sleep, here a little warning for everyone who wants to build a 'Mech in LDD: Be wary of scale.

Posted Image
Lil' Joe next to a partially constructed foot for scale. He also seems a little worried about my mental health.

Right now, I think I might actually have hit the golden spot in 'Mech to lego scaling, where the bricks translate almost perfectly into the model of reference, but damn, that thing's gonna be humongous. I'll probably have to increase the skeleton to a 4 rod structure and possibly adding another set of actuators to keep the thing not potentially collapsing into itself due to its weight. Assuming anyone can/wants to afford to build that beast that is.

I'll pour in a few more hours into this monster after some sleep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users