- - - - -

Kdr Of 0.23. What Am I Doing Wrong?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Star Commander Freya

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Hello, everyone. I have been playing Mechwarrior Online off and on, since the start of the Beta. I also lurk the forums, but this will be my first official post.

I don't pretend to be the greatest video game player, but I can hold my own, in most video games. I have played all of the original Mechwarrior games, and finished the majority of them, so I do not consider myself unskilled. That being said, I am absolutely terrible at Mechwarrior Online. I thought that I would get better with practice, but my KDR is still hovering at around 0.2.

Now, I know that, for a game like Mechwarrior Online, KDR does not matter too much. But, if it is as low as 0.2, I MUST be doing something wrong. And, no matter what I try, I cannot seem to improve. This is very frustrating for me. I have always loved Mechwarrior, and I have really enjoyed the previous games. To be doing this poorly is very disheartening. If I cannot improve, soon, I may just stop playing altogether.

What do you think the problem is? With practice, I can generally become competent in almost any game I try. Mechwarrior Online seems to be the exception. Does anyone have any advice? I am at a loss as to how I can improve, as I have been unsuccessful for about a year.

#2 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Without knowing more, there's only one thing that I can suggest will help:

Find someone to drop with. Use teamspeak, Xbox live, whatever you have, and work through the game with someone who knows how to play. An experienced player actually dropping with you will be able to help you far more than the forums will.

If you have a mic and teamspeak, friend me and I'll drop with you if I see you on. Good luck!

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to send you a message with or without a teamspeak and bring you for some matches. It's easiest to find out what's wrong by simply seeing how you handle yourself.

I wish I could offer to help tonight, as usually I have a wall of text that no one ever reads and about ten or so videos that could offer so much insight. Truth be told, though, "show a person how to fish in your waters and you fed that person so long as he or she is near. See how they fish in their own waters, and you can give pointers that will stick long after you're gone."

That said, I look forward to picking you up. And don't worry I'm quite fun loving so we can screw around with virtually any builds.

See you tomorrow.

#4 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Tomorrow I'm going to send you a message with or without a teamspeak and bring you for some matches. It's easiest to find out what's wrong by simply seeing how you handle yourself.

I wish I could offer to help tonight, as usually I have a wall of text that no one ever reads and about ten or so videos that could offer so much insight. Truth be told, though, "show a person how to fish in your waters and you fed that person so long as he or she is near. See how they fish in their own waters, and you can give pointers that will stick long after you're gone."

That said, I look forward to picking you up. And don't worry I'm quite fun loving so we can screw around with virtually any builds.

See you tomorrow.

Why you gotta one-up me like that? :)

If he picks you instead of me, make him post an update here!

#5 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

OP,

apart from skill, let's isolate the technical side of things...

what fps you get?
what ping?
what is your mouse dpi?
do you joystickzzz? (nothing wrong with joystickzzz, but it is definitely not for everymerc)

#6 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

I was around 0.2 for a long time.... This was due to the fact that I was in trials, commandos, and centurions exclusively for about a month or so as I was learning to play. A lot of it is the extremely steep learning curve, and the rather extreme grind to actually optimize a mech, much less a big mech.

Best I can say is: don't get discouraged! I myself am waiting for the stat wipe, since I have pretty much hovered just above 1.0 since I got better, and my overall is still only *blush* 0.8. It takes a while, man, and even when you're a good pilot and contribute, it doesn't always mean a bump in KDR.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 07 August 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Why you gotta one-up me like that? :)

If he picks you instead of me, make him post an update here!

I just got here first and finished writing after. But hey, the more people Rakeesh drops with, the more dynamic the advice can be. For example you might have advice I wouldn't ever consider, and I might have tricks that you might not and vice versa. Also why can't he pick both? But that said, I'm off to draw Roman furniture before my instructor turns this replica of mine into reality! I'm already a day late otherwise I'd play tonight!

#8 Star Commander Freya

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostMycrus, on 07 August 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

OP,

apart from skill, let's isolate the technical side of things...

what fps you get?
what ping?
what is your mouse dpi?
do you joystickzzz? (nothing wrong with joystickzzz, but it is definitely not for everymerc)

Hello, Mycrus. I do not use a joystick. I use a Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0. I am not really sure how to find its DPI.
My ping is listed as 47, and my FPS seems to average at about 12. I have a feeling that this might be part of the problem.

#9 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostRakeesh, on 07 August 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hello, Mycrus. I do not use a joystick. I use a Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0. I am not really sure how to find its DPI.
My ping is listed as 47, and my FPS seems to average at about 12. I have a feeling that this might be part of the problem.

Most definitely a problem.

Before I built a rig for mwo, I avearged ~15 fps and my kdr was <.5.

Now it's >2.0. The hardware was a serious problem for me.

#10 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hey there buddy -- laser trackballs should be in the 400-800 dpi range... i use one at work (saves me carpal) but i won't recommend it for this game... it is okay for bigger mechs but too slow for faster mechs... get a cheap gaming mouse that can do 1600-1800 dpi with at least 500hz polling rate...

it is the fps that is killing you... try to disable all the graphical candy until you reach 30-40fps which is the minimum i would recommend for playing...

that doesn't work consider a upgrade...

wat u current rig?

#11 Star Commander Freya

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostMycrus, on 07 August 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hey there buddy -- laser trackballs should be in the 400-800 dpi range... i use one at work (saves me carpal) but i won't recommend it for this game... it is okay for bigger mechs but too slow for faster mechs... get a cheap gaming mouse that can do 1600-1800 dpi with at least 500hz polling rate...

it is the fps that is killing you... try to disable all the graphical candy until you reach 30-40fps which is the minimum i would recommend for playing...

that doesn't work consider a upgrade...

wat u current rig?

I am currently using a Windows 7 PC with 8GB of ram and an Intel Core 2 Duo, running at 3.1 Ghtz. My video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5500.

#12 Star Commander Freya

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Oh, wait. Do you mean my Mech? I am sorry. :)
I usually use either a JR7-D or a Centurian CN9-D. I have an Awesome AW5-9M, but I sold its engines.

#13 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

no i meant your computer...

i have a lappy with a C2Duo as well... it is not enough to play the game.... sorry you need to upgrade to enjoy the game..

minimum spec is would recommend for 1920x1080 gaming is a 2500K with a GTX660...

recommended spec would be a 3570K with a GTX670 (or even a 680 if you got the dough)...

if you can, grab an older generation SSD as well -- something like a crucial m1 / intel 520 / ocz vertex3

it is your gear that is killing you and nothing to do with skill...

#14 Star Commander Freya

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

Okay. Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I probably will not be able to upgrade my computer, for a while. I am about to upgrade to a faster router, though, which should improve my ping. Perhaps that will improve my gameplay somewhat.

I will keep those specs in mind, when building my next computer. For now, I will just play with the lowest settings and try my best.

#15 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Does anyone know if there are any low-spec configs floating around these days?

#16 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostRakeesh, on 07 August 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Okay. Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I probably will not be able to upgrade my computer, for a while. I am about to upgrade to a faster router, though, which should improve my ping. Perhaps that will improve my gameplay somewhat.

I will keep those specs in mind, when building my next computer. For now, I will just play with the lowest settings and try my best.

If you average a ping of 47, that is not your problem. People who average 150 ping can play no problem. I've played with 12 FPS before, and it is atrocious.

Also what builds do you run on your Mechs and do you have any of the Elited/Mastered? It's hard to do well with odd builds (I used to be horrid at building Mechs for this game, and it was very difficult to play with them).

Edit: A faster router will most likely not result in better ping anyways. Your connection is more or less dependent on the service from your ISP and the service package you're getting from them.

Edited by Capt Jester, 07 August 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#17 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostRakeesh, on 07 August 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

holy

Over the past couple months I've gotten a new mouse, and a new video card, it's really amazing how much easier it is to pilot and aim with a gaming mouse and 60fps.

I played mwo for 11 months at 25fps. Can't imagine how hard it is to play at 12....

View PostCapt Jester, on 07 August 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Edit: A faster router will most likely not result in better ping anyways. Your connection is more or less dependent on the service from your ISP and the service package you're getting from them.

If he has a really, really old router it might be affecting his connection speed. But yeah 47 isn't bad at all.

#18 Star Commander Freya

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

I have not Elited or Mastered any of my mechs, but I have invested in each of the basic abilities. As for my Mechs, I use a Jenner JR7-D or a Centurian CN9-D. My Jenner has 3 medium pulse lasers, an AMS, 14 Double Heat Sinks, a standard engine 205, and Maxed-Out Ferro-Fibrous armor. My Centurian has an AMS, 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, a Gauss Rifle, 10 Heat Sinks, a Standard Engine 160, and Maxed-Out Ferro-Fibrous Armor.

#19 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 07 August 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Does anyone know if there are any low-spec configs floating around these days?

pm sent with my cfg.You will also need custom engine assets and probably no-blur patch.Use google for them.

#20 Kurkotain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 76 posts
  • LocationOmnicron persei 8

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'll bite.

I've played MWO in the same laptop since the CB days. Its a Gateway P-7805u.
Core 2 Duo P-8400 Penryr 3M - 2.27 Ghz. The latest ones before the Core ix days
Nvidia 9800 Gts 1 Gb

The game its an absolute nightmare. Even with everything on minimun, the last time it ran at a decent framrate was with the DHS patch back in the day. So i know how important the hardware is for a game like this. Nowdays i game in a friends computer that's light years beyond the current one.

Centurions are pretty much unusable in my laptop, but in a modern computer, torso twist mechanics suddenly come to life.
Light mechs too require having a powerful computer, as lights require twich shooting and fast response times. You can get away with sniping, but not brawling as the fps drop too much when you enter any brawl.

I spent 3 months learning the game's ropes and the learning curve is pretty steep, don't give up!
Would offer to drop with you but i'm not constant enough in my play time. whenever i have a minute, i play a match and that's it. Add me to your friends list and ping me whenever i'm only to do a couple drops and correct any kinks on your style.

BTW i hope that by "trackball" you are not refering to this: http://goo.gl/1Pu7PP
As i can already picture controlling a mech with that being an absolute nightmare.

Edited by Kurkotain, 07 August 2013 - 08:22 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users