70 replies to this topic

#21 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

theres no penalty its a bug :\

it even comes on if you stagger fire 2 AC2s.

#22 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Kind of funny how something so terrifying (aka not terrifying) as a Jager standing still with 2xAC/2's and 2xAC/'5's firing heat neutral in TT can't be a thing in MWO, because of borked heat sinks for SHS and DHS and the whole threshold programming.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 09 August 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

Kind of funny how something so terrifying (aka not terrifying) as a Jager standing still with 2xAC/2's and 2xAC/'5's firing heat neutral in TT can't be a thing in MWO, because of borked heat sinks for SHS and DHS and the whole threshold programming.

Semi off topic but..
Spoiler

Back directly on topic: Supposedly we'll see the AC/2 ninja nerf issue addressed in one or two patches. It does not sound like the address will be favorable.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostTennex, on 09 August 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

theres no penalty its a bug :\
it even comes on if you stagger fire 2 AC2s.

It happens if you stagger fire any AC/2s.
But as I said to you last time, the support response is "A penalty applying to non-alpha fired AC2s is intentional. There is a bug in which the penalty heat is set too high."

#25 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Semi off topic but..
Spoiler

Back directly on topic: Supposedly we'll see the AC/2 ninja nerf issue addressed in one or two patches. It does not sound like the address will be favorable.

It's not really that off topic, because it relates to it. HPS in combination with fire rates and heat sinks was not readily taken into account. Hence why the AC/2 produces like 200% more heat compared to the game 'rules' it came from. Plus, exacerbated to the extreme by heat penalities and/or heat bugs.

#26 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 August 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

Support says this is intentional. The penalty rate is higher than it is supposed to be and will be addressed in an upcoming patch.

I can see the Game Design Engineer behind this and his conversation with the lowly Technical Engineer aka Coder...

GDE: Add AC2s to the ghost heat penalty thingy!
TE: You do realize that your specifications for the ghost heat penalty thingy included 0.5 seconds aka "chain fire" as the threshold right?
GDE: SHUTUP AND DO IT!
TE: OK no problem... I get paid whether or not you are an i d i o t! (BTW: AC2s have a firing rate of 0.25 seconds or half the threshold for the penalty that you insisted I use)
GDE: ZOMG mathz! WTF?!? You are supposed to deal with that!
TE: WTF?!? You have to tell me to do stuff with math as a background because that is the way CODE works!
GDE: Just do it!
TE: You realize you just insisted I break AC2s and UAC5s right?
GDE: Shut up I'm planning my xmas vacation with the bonuses I get for being brilliant!
SUPPORT: Ummmm people are reporting some weird stuff happening that wasn't in the docu....
GDE: SHUT UP XMAS VACATION PLANZ NAOW!

#27 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

But as I said to you last time, the support response is "A penalty applying to non-alpha fired AC2s is intentional. There is a bug in which the penalty heat is set too high."

I hope we get an dev response in this thread

cuz the last dev response to the AC2 issue in a previous patch said it was a bug.

I just don't see why they would implement an alpha stopping penalty on a weapon being staggerfired, and force it to fire in alpha. very counter intuitive.

jesus, i would like to see paul's command post explaining this.

Edited by Tennex, 09 August 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Me too.

#29 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostTennex, on 09 August 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

I just don't see why they would implement an alpha stopping penalty on a weapon being staggerfired, and force it to fire in alpha. very counter intuitive.

jesus, i would like to see paul's command post explaining this.

Why? I already explained it. All he can do now is back away from the dumb and insert meatshield much like we do with ECM Atlai in Green Paint.

PS: I thought of it! Increase AC2 cooldown to 0.5. Increase damage to 4. To bring it in line with AC5!

Or

Sorry massively complicated coding issue... (simple XML file edit/read)... caused me to do something horrifically stupid just hours before I left for vacation having come up with ghost heat as a solution to AlphaStrikes.

Edited by scJazz, 09 August 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#30 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostscJazz, on 09 August 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Why? I already explained it. All he can do now is back away from the dumb and insert meatshield much like we do with ECM Atlai in Green Paint.

lolwut.

#31 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostTennex, on 09 August 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

lolwut.

I already explained how the d00mbz got into the game. There is no explanation possible since the d00mbz originates with a "chief". To acknowledge the d00mbz would be antithetical to the entire zomg m r gr8 game designer/owner platform. Hence it can not happen. So... we will be tossed a cookie as a distraction while a new entirely more effed up plan is inserted, or more likely my AC2 double time, double damage fix will be inserted.

#32 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

It happens if you stagger fire any AC/2s.

PGI Destined responded to a similar thread 3 days ago, but it already got buried after it got locked, saying that it is a known issue that they are investigating: http://mwomercs.com/...d-heat-penalty/

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostSarsaparilla Kid, on 09 August 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

PGI Destined responded to a similar thread 3 days ago, but it already got buried after it got locked, saying that it is a known issue that they are investigating: http://mwomercs.com/...d-heat-penalty/

I'm aware. Next patch or two it's supposed "to be fixed to a much lower scale but not removed."

That's what irks me.

Edited by Koniving, 11 August 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#34 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Yesterday I constructed an 5 AC2 Jager for fun.

Left Mouse: AlphaStrike
Right Mouse: Build in Chain-fire

if I hold down Right Mouse and at some Point press Left for Alpha, one Weapon will be out of sync and I simply shut down immediately... (ok after 2 shots, but thats just 1 sec...)

I am normally a rather patient player, I even defended PGI in numerous threads because they are trying to fix various problems at all times BUT:

Undocumented nerfs and deliberately ignoring nearly all Forum Posts about the topic is absolutely lame. There has to be an announcement or Command-Chair post about that, so we know what exactly is happening!

its the same about the Missile-Tubes-Bug that is affecting lots of Mechs since... erm... half a year?

@PGI:
I know you are trying to do your best, and you cant do it as fast as the communitiy wants you to, but you at least should respond to such ninja bugnerfs/nerfbugs so we know if its intentional and why it is so!

#35 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

In my opinion, the intent is for you to not have more than 2 of any given weapon system on a single mech. So, like, one small laser, one med pulse, one PPC, one AC2, etc, etc. I think that this will please those folks who complain about cheese builds and the like. Just one of each weapon, up to the maximum hardpoints for your chassis. That'll fix all you cheese builders!

#36 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Had a little back and forth with support, here's the emails.
Spoiler

Seems they don't understand basic math and think you can somehow magically increase your total rof by chainfiring.

#37 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, he missed the point, but then you could have kept your example much simpler by using only 2 AC2s, and show that the huge penalty occurs even when you're letting the timer control the rate of fire, not your finger speed, the only difference is if the timing between the two is staggered just slightly because you came off of the chainfire button and hit the group fire button when one of them was still on cooldown. Once he heard you were firing them singly in multiple groups, he immediately took the stance that you were trying to manipulate the cooldown timers.

ETA: just tested this again, and timed how many rounds went downrange using group fire with both AC2s on the same schedule vs. group fire after switching over from chain fire so that the rounds are slightly staggered. Both scenarios sent the same # of rounds downrange, 4 per second, but the second scenario results in overheating in just a few seconds and the first results in negligible heat. Maybe it just sounds too fast for their ears that they aren't bothering to count how many rounds are really being fired in each case. I am hoping Garth answers my question related to this on the next NGNG podcast.

Edited by Sarsaparilla Kid, 13 August 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#38 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

Well, it explains the constant f**kups with game balance when their own support guys don't even know either basic math or how the damned weapons actually function.

Edited by Rippthrough, 14 August 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#39 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

think it's warranted because you're firing considerably faster than the built-in recycle rate on those weapons.

That's nonsense. That some players don't understand it, okay, but support should know better.

The only way to make a weapon faster than its built-in recycl erate is if you have the fast fire efficiency, which is an intentional and fully controlled feature.

The only thing you can do is chain-fire manually or "macroally" faster than the build-in chain-fire delay, but the chain-fire delay is not based on the weapon, and is too long for weapons that have a rate of fire like the AC/2.

I suppose the only consolation is that the support team might know nothing about the game code in the first place and is probably just guessing here, but it's still not good.

#40 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostTrev Firestorm, on 13 August 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Update:
Spoiler

We'll see...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users