11 replies to this topic

#1 Soyaman

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hey.

So the other day I stumbled upon a topic that was on about boating and heat issues.
I'm wondering if this will affect me.

I'm currently making use of two LRM 10's and two LRM 5's. Will the game penalize me for stacking 4 low capacity rocket launchers instead of 2 high capacity rocket launchers?

#2 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

No it won't in this case. Check here for details:

http://mwomercs.com/...cale-the-maths/

Although you'll have to go through patch notes to get a complete picture, there are basic rules of thumb you can follow.

Also this site does it's best to be an accurate reference and is pretty awesome: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#3 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Didn't they group all LRM's and SRM's together with the last patch or two? I know SRM4's stack with 6's when counting the limit now.

#4 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostCorison, on 09 August 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Didn't they group all LRM's and SRM's together with the last patch or two? I know SRM4's stack with 6's when counting the limit now.

No, not all of them.

Yes, they did lump SRM 4s and 6s together, along with (I believe) LRM 20's 15's and 10's, but SRM2s and LRM5s are still unique unto themselves and their penalties do not stack with their larger counterparts.

Edit: I might also add, you don't have to worry about these penalties at all if you just chain fire - you can still boat, like, 4 LRM15s or something if you just fire two and then wait a half a second and fire the other two. Personally, I think this method works pretty well - it's extremely annoying/debilitating to a pilot when they're CONSTANTLY being hit by a never-ending stream of missiles.

Edited by DEMAX51, 09 August 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#5 Soyaman

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Awesome :)

Now the question comes.
Does is it worth having two LRM 5's ? xD Or am I better off with more heatsinks / armour

Edited by Soyaman, 09 August 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#6 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

Depends entirely on your build. What is it?

#7 Soyaman

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

View Postwarner2, on 09 August 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

Depends entirely on your build. What is it?

I'm running a stalker with
2 AMS
4 Medium Laser
2 Medium Pulse Laser
2 LRM 5
2 LRM 10

And a big engine to go with it for speed.

#8 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Well, people boat LRMs on their Stalkers big time, so I'd drop some of your lasers and increase the number of missiles you've got. You can't use the weapons that you've got together as they have different ranges. They don't complement each other well. So your lasers are really backup weapons. You're standing off at range firing LRMs but you've only got 30 LRMs.

Try for 40 LRMs, with medium lasers or medium pulse lasers for backup.

Either that, or try for a combination of ERLL or ERPPC and missiles so that you can at least use your weapons together at range, although as I say it's more common to boat LRMs as that is when they are most effective.

#9 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

That's a good build, but I might drop the 2 MPLs (maybe swap 'em for two regular mediums - but honestly you're probably fine with just the 4ML) and add some more ammo for the LRMs or a couple more heatsinks or maybe bump the 10s up to 15s, otherwise it looks good. Though, I assume when you say a "big engine" you mean a big STANDARD engine and not an XL, right? You definitely DO NOT want to put an XL on a Stalker!

Edited by DEMAX51, 09 August 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#10 Soyaman

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 09 August 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

That's a good build, but I might drop the 2 MPLs (maybe swap 'em for two regular mediums - but honestly you're probably fine with just the 4ML) and add some more ammo for the LRMs or a couple more heatsinks or maybe bump the 10s up to 15s, otherwise it looks good. Though, I assume when you say a "big engine" you mean a big STANDARD engine and not an XL, right? You definitely DO NOT want to put an XL on a Stalker!

Yeah, someone told me that. I do have another stalker with an XL engine because it's so heavy on it's weaponry. I still don't understand why XL engines are so bad though.

I smacked on a Std 300 engine so I can move around quicker.
I also have 16 double heat sinks.
Equiped with Artemis & ferro fiberious armour.

When you swap for two normal mediums, do you mean take out the pulse lasers?

Edited by Soyaman, 09 August 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#11 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

1. An XL engine is dangerous because the engine takes up some space in your side torsos as well as your center torso. This means that if you're using an XL engine and one of your side torsos get's destroyed, you will die because your engine will be destroyed. As Stalkers have VERY large side torsos, using an XL engine in one makes them much less survivable.

XL engines are great on SOME mechs (pretty much all Lights, Cicadas, a few different Heavy builds, and a very few Assaults like the Highlander, Victor or Awesome), but for a lot of chassis an XL is a death-certificate waiting to be signed. Plus, most experienced pilots will be able to tell, by looking at your loadout and seeing how much weaponry you've got, whether you're using an XL or not and they will specifically target your side torsos if they think you are.

2. I would drop the ferro-fibrous and equip Endo-steel instead. They "cost" the same number of critical slots on your mech (14) but Endo saves you substantially more weight. Ferro is really only good when used in addition to Endo on Light mechs and/or mechs that don't use very many/very large weapons. It'll cost you some c-bills to take ferro out and put Endo it, but it's definitely worth it!

3. Yeah, I would take out the pulse lasers for something else.

Edited by DEMAX51, 09 August 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I can fire 5 LRM-5s without a heat penalty. I do not know if it applies to LRM-5s in larger groups, but my guess is yes. If so then it goes by the highest LRM you have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users