6 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

I've always been a die-hard fan of the Battletech and Mechwarrior franchise. Yet, to this day, the Battletech game I still have the most fond memories of is Multiplayer Battletech 3025, which ran in an open beta via EA in the early 2000's. I sincerely hope that there are numerous veterans from this game currently on the dev team for MWO.

MPBT 3025 did so many things great that I can't even begin to cover them all in one post. If I have to name a few right off my head, here's what I can come up with:

-Board game accurate interpretation
Mechs handled and reacted under combat conditions just like they do in the board game. (example: when you started to overheat, your mech would slow down and your HUD would flicker and distort, making movement and aiming more difficult-just like the board game).

-Light mechs weren't useless
Light mechs were a valuable addition to any lance. Having a light mech act as a spotter for the big boys from a distance was a way to make them useful, even if they themselves lacked the firepower to do much. (In MPBT 3025, the targeting only worked via L.O.S., so if a hill was between you and your target, you wouldn't know where they were or how they were maneuvering without a lancemate having LOS to them)

-Persistent universe
It was absolutely awesome fighting for a house or faction and watching your victories and failures have an actual impact in the boundaries and borders of the Inner Sphere. This spawned epic rivalries and great cooperation between players of various factions.

There are so many other things I feel I could mention, but I hope you get the point. Please reference this game's many merits during your development process. If you guys succeed at reproducing the joy and entertainment MPBT3025 delivered to my friends and I years ago, my money is as-good-as-yours. =D

#2 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:24 PM

I was about to post a topic say what you just stated.

I really hope they take a look at MPBT3025. It was an awesome game and everyone I know who played it absolutely loved it. When I heard about this new MWOnline it reminded me a lot of MPBT and that is a very good thing.

#3 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

I never got to play MPBT3025 sadly, yet I've seen pics from it. Would anyone here happen to have larger better images of the Panther, Vindicator, Blackjack and or Urbanmech from the game? I thought their design art was some of the best I've ever seen and I'd really like some cleaner images of these mechs.

#4 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

try www.mpbt3025.com and look in the images section. got a panther there but you might find what your looking for inthe screenshots of actual combat.

#5 Warzog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAboard the Wildcat's Leopard dropship: The Lair

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

I played MPBT3025, and have both fond, and annoying memories of it. It was a blast to play, when a bunch of normal folks were on, but the win-at-all-costs folks we called clanners were very annoying.
The clanners would death-level each other so that they could get the best gear around, often within hours of updates, and several of them managed to talk the folks running it into making non-standard loadout mechs for them, like the medium lasered Javelin that, with the help of Roger Wilco, allowed them to devastate even the best equiped units. I think my least favorite mech was the Hunchback with the long range weapon (forget which weapon.) Although, the Jenner wasn't much fun either, it's lack of torso swing, made it less desirable than the Javeln. (Which shouldn't have had torso swing either.)
And who can forget the "Head Hunters?" I saw them with Javelins within 20 minutes of an update, and Hunchbacks within an hour!

I sure hope this new MechWarrior Online eliminates the clanner mentality from ruling the game.
Like keeping builds like the stripped down mechs with MASC, and a gazillion small lasers, who rush up to you from a km away, unleash their small lasers, and kill you in one shot! (very annoying)

#6 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

View PostWarzog, on 10 November 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

The clanners would death-level each other so that they could get the best gear around, often within hours of updates, and several of them managed to talk the folks running it into making non-standard loadout mechs for them, like the medium lasered Javelin that, with the help of Roger Wilco, allowed them to devastate even the best equiped units.
No offense, but what are you talking about!? The "Fire Javelin" variant you mention was a standard part of the game (at least when I played). Anybody could buy it once they got enough cash. It wasn't an 'exclusive' or 'mod' item. Most of the admins/mods/generals rode around in Heavy/Assault mechs (a perk of the rank perhaps). I was pretty friendly with a few of them and I never saw them 'cheat' or 'give' any non-admin players anything.

Edited by shadowvfx, 10 November 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#7 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

The only flaw mpbt had was that it was only 4v4... Mpbt is what heaven would be like :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users