Lnc-01X Lancelot Concept Re-Design (Wip)

52 replies to this topic

#21 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

You certainly made it look like something and not a silly looking design. Well done!
You get a cookie.

#22 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

Great stuff as always, Bishop!

My $0.02 :
  • The arms do feel a bit beefy for just having LLas in them (and maybe some DHS), but it's not that big of an issue.
  • The head/cockpit tho.. it really bugs me.
    • That is a lot of glass and not much supporting structure around it.. it makes the cockpit (to me) feel tiny and yet massive and exposed/unprotected at the same time.
    • The design of the head conveys (to me) much more of a 'wolf' feel for the mech than the knightly name implies..it might be cliche, but I think a head/cockpit styled more like an armored helm would be more fitting.
Overall, tho, I really do like it!

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostMagik0012, on 11 August 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

Great stuff as always, Bishop!

My $0.02 :
  • The arms do feel a bit beefy for just having LLas in them (and maybe some DHS), but it's not that big of an issue.
  • The head/cockpit tho.. it really bugs me.
    • That is a lot of glass and not much supporting structure around it.. it makes the cockpit (to me) feel tiny and yet massive and exposed/unprotected at the same time.
    • The design of the head conveys (to me) much more of a 'wolf' feel for the mech than the knightly name implies..it might be cliche, but I think a head/cockpit styled more like an armored helm would be more fitting.
Overall, tho, I really do like it!

is it bad that I feel "themed" mechs overall are kinda...dumb? I know it's giant stompy robot, but pretty sure they named it Lancelot as a project codename. Cause a Paladin Arty piece certainly don't look nothing like a night, or the guy from "Have Gun, Will Travel".

Just sayin.

#24 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 August 2013 - 08:44 PM, said:

modified the lasers

Maybe just a hair more on the lasers. Little bit thinner and shorter still and you're there.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

bump for ground up re-design

#26 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

redesign looks nice, and the head really fits the name,

#27 Roy McNab

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think that the V 2.0 looks badass I like the way you made the head look like a helmet

#28 Devil Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

Love the redesign, it looks more humanoid in it's legs, and seems to be a play both on your original concept cross original art and the name itself.

#29 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 August 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

is it bad that I feel "themed" mechs overall are kinda...dumb? I know it's giant stompy robot, but pretty sure they named it Lancelot as a project codename. Cause a Paladin Arty piece certainly don't look nothing like a night, or the guy from "Have Gun, Will Travel".

Just sayin.

No, dude, it totally *is* dumb for the name to control the looks.. but I'm pretty sure that is how a lot of the old design were done for TT.. come up with a "cool" name, then pay some starving artist to draw a mech based on that name.. then derive the series designation from the name.

Also.. since you mentioned it.. the M109 Paladin *is* a self-propelled gun.. so.. you know.. "have gun, will travel" ..the name fits.

As for version 2.0, I like it a lot! But what's with the goofy helmet-head? ;-)
Seriously tho, nice work! I especially like the flair on the underside of the LLasers.

On a completely different "random thought" note, is there some law of mech design that says all arms (especially ones with elbows) have to be low slung? Has there been a mech with the elbow joint above the shoulder? I can't recall one off the top of my head.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostMagik0012, on 11 August 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

No, dude, it totally *is* dumb for the name to control the looks.. but I'm pretty sure that is how a lot of the old design were done for TT.. come up with a "cool" name, then pay some starving artist to draw a mech based on that name.. then derive the series designation from the name.

Also.. since you mentioned it.. the M109 Paladin *is* a self-propelled gun.. so.. you know.. "have gun, will travel" ..the name fits.

As for version 2.0, I like it a lot! But what's with the goofy helmet-head? ;-)
Seriously tho, nice work! I especially like the flair on the underside of the LLasers.

On a completely different "random thought" note, is there some law of mech design that says all arms (especially ones with elbows) have to be low slung? Has there been a mech with the elbow joint above the shoulder? I can't recall one off the top of my head.

dasher

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

How did I never catch that....

#32 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Fire Moth (Dasher)

The new Lancelot design looks like it'd pair up nicely with the Black Knight. A pair of heavy energy boating 'mechs with this design aspect.

#33 The Shredder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 09 August 2013 - 12:47 PM, said:

The feel and the look of mech for a while now is becoming uniformed and while it's nice to be streamlined from a developer standpoint players like my self would like some distinctions to our mechs , but what is most practical is probly what will happen.

If you've ever seen Robotech, or the Battletech Cartoon, then you've noticed how diificult it is to animate some of those sillier designs. After watching Robotech, the Marauder no longer makes me think "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES"
This game is built with a physics engine. It would drive that engine nuts to try and figure out how 80 tons of mech is balancing on two bean-pole legs with no knees AND run 60KPH.
Version 2 of the render is simply inspiring. making the head resemble a Knight's helm more make me think Lancelot. The new arms remind me of jousting lances. VERY NICE!!!
Now, I hope that when the Mad Cat drops, it will have legs that resemble and work like ED-209 from the original Robocop, and not the avian-like legs they stuck on the Catapult. Sure, it would be harder to animate, but I think they would accomplish the goal of making it look more fearsome.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

bump for finish art

#35 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

I love it. I like how its arms look like its holding spears and the curved antennae on its head reminds me of the knight helmets with the feather on it.

#36 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Great. I love the cockpit.

#37 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

I dig the first on on your post. The one marked finished art. I think you perfectly captured the essence of the mech while also incorporating a nice feature in the medievil helmet for the cockpit.
I can't wait to see your next update, perhaps the Exterminiator?

#38 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Both are amazing!!

The "knightly" Lancelot is really, really good (Alex Iglesias couldn't do better), but I have one observation: lower arm actuators - the Lancelot has none.
I think you can reinforce the spear-like effect by removing the lower arm actuators.

PS: consider making the LNC25-03 too, please. ;)

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostOdanan, on 13 August 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Both are amazing!!

The "knightly" Lancelot is really, really good (Alex Iglesias couldn't do better), but I have one observation: lower arm actuators - the Lancelot has none.
I think you can reinforce the spear-like effect by removing the lower arm actuators.

PS: consider making the LNC25-03 too, please. ;)

Neither does the VTR-9B, and yet............

(Also the 2035 TRO shows it with elbows, even though the record sheet does not. So I figured them to be still locked up and down like old star wars figures, with no actual lateral motion, or very limited, like my Victor's).

The original, I am using as a new 60 tonner based off the Lancelot design, meant to give the FWL's Awesomes "Destroyer" Support, by having the mobility of 86 kph with JJs and the 3 PPC of an awesome backed by 1 medium laser. Commissioned by the Knights of the Inner Sphere, and christened the "GWN-01 GAWAIN".

#40 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

I was talking about something like this:

Posted Image

PS: removed the ugly antenna.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users