25 replies to this topic

#1 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

If you are considering using a light mech without max or near max engine and a stronger weapon loadout, please reconsider. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to play and if it is fun for you then by all means do it. Just understand that you drastically decrease survivability; if a slower max speed and more weapons are your preference the larger sized mechs may be more suited to your tastes. Simply put, they do it much better, and you are removing your mechs single strong point.

Edited by BookWyrm, 09 August 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

The we are Light Mechs with ECM Club would like to have a word with you...

COM-2D
SDR-5D
RVN-3L
CDA-3M

All of them have viable sniper configs with their ECM shields and none of them really need to go max speed although they could.

Also in before Koniving posts LRM20 Raven or AC20 Cicadas!

Edited by scJazz, 09 August 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

LRM-20 Raven!

AC/40 Cicada!

AC/20 Raven!

>.>

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

LMAO! I TOLD U!

#5 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

You should see Koniving's ROFLPAULT :)

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostZeProme, on 09 August 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

You should see Koniving's ROFLPAULT :)

I tried it earlier today. Without the 90 LRM alpha strike it's not practical anymore. :(

#7 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

... AC/40 Cicada? I thought I was silly for cramming in two AC/5's (Std 260, no money for XL yet)... Which is amusing, mind you. Nobody seems to expect it. >.>

#8 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

I tried it earlier today. Without the 90 LRM alpha strike it's not practical anymore. :(

Yes, the High Alpha fix took all the Rofl out of the Roflpult :(

But the 6xLRM5 Terrorpult is a somewhat decent replacement :)

I tried my blackjack with 2xAC20... was a nice lol when someone made the mistake of coming close, but not really viable.

Edited by Zerberus, 10 August 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

View PostZerberus, on 10 August 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Yes, the High Alpha fix took all the Rofl out of the Roflpult :(

But the 6xLRM5 Terrorpult is a somewhat decent replacement :)

It would've lost its goodness when the art overpass comes on Catapults anyway.

Tube counts are likely to be 5, 5, 5 or 6, 6, 3 or some mixture. I'm hoping it allows up to 15 tubes for an LRM-15 by itself, and cuts it down when you add other launchers. For example LRM 15 + Streak = 13 LRM tubes and 2 Streak tubes. Although it's more likely that you'll have 10 LRM tubes and up to 5 'second' hardpoint tubes. Then with 3 hardpoints taken, 5 5 and 5, or maybe in the case of LRM + 2 streaks... 10 + 2 + 2 + empty. Never know, though. Never know.

I mean they could attach 'additional' smaller launchers on the outside of the arms, thusly making them somewhat bigger like the Golden Boy's arm.

But, speculation aside...
It was fun to hold the button and chainfire.

View PostAceramic, on 09 August 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

... AC/40 Cicada? I thought I was silly for cramming in two AC/5's (Std 260, no money for XL yet)... Which is amusing, mind you. Nobody seems to expect it. >.>

I like a single AC/20. 4 AC/2s used to be fun but the AC/2 ninja nerf killed it for me.

#10 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:44 AM

Dont listen to this guy. Ravens with AC20s that go 90kph are totally viable.

#11 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

With brawling becoming more common, it is necessary to incorporate Standard engines where possible to increase mech surivability. Furthermore, multirange combat is also encouraged as it allows you to be an asset to the team earlier in the engagement. Of course, the support mech role is quite important to the modern 12 mech company. Hence, the requirement for both direct and indirect fire support is required. Often these support roles are filled by heavies and assaults with XL engines.

But what if there was a mech that could do it all? What if there was a build that incorporated the standard engine of a brawler, significant direct fire support and indirect fire support? What if I told you that it was all on a light mech.

The only reason to own a RVN-3L

#12 TDR3D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

OP, the one thing I've learned about the main MWO forum is to not try and help these "people" in terms of mech builds and weapon loadouts. While the above builds are fun to play with, they are garbage most of the time, and they are taking up space on the field better spent on mechs that are meant to fill that role.

Getting a kill or two in a ******** build does not mean its good. It just means you were up against people even more ******** than you.

Edited by TDR3D, 10 August 2013 - 05:01 AM.

#13 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

Personally to me anything under 124kph (max raven 2x/4x speeds) in a light mech makes you a sitting duck to lrms and other weapon fire in the open and all the 100+kph fast medium and fast heavy builds. All with more armor and weapons than a light mech can carry.

With speed tweak max speeds

Mediums
Cicada 151.5kph
Blackjack 93.1kph - 116.8kph
Cents 98kph-139kph
Hunchys 92.7kph
Trebs 115.8kph-139kph
Kintaro 94kph-116.6kph

Heavy
Dragon 106.9kph
Quickdraw 106.9kph

Sure the cool gimmick builds can be stupid and lots of fun, and some of the really slow builds where great back in closed beta, such as ac20 ravens but these days with spiders, endo, fero, all the newer fast mediums and 12v12 a new player is going to torn to shreds instantly.

I know I know in the right hands and with a group anything is possible but seriously this is in the New Player Help and this is not the right way for new people who are solo dropping to drive their lights.

#14 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

Didn't say it can't be done in skilled hands, just that a larger mech does it better. And stop giving the unskilled guys that run around in fat slow Raven turkeys delusions of grandeur:)

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Another slow light. Raven 2x this time.

#16 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hmm... a Commando sniper? and a COM-2D?

Well, I think I have at least seen one with a PPC or ERPPC, and it could mount 3 LRM-5, TAG and a fine ammo supply with an XL 170,
but I could be crazy enough to try something like that at some point to see for myself.

#17 TDR3D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

Koniving, you are doing a massive disservice to new players looking to do well at this game. Do you want the new blood spend what little cbills they have on this stupid crap, have it fail and for them re-front their lost money on something that actually works? I e a feeling will just give up after they stop earning their cadet bonus.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostTDR3D, on 11 August 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

Koniving, you are doing a massive disservice to new players looking to do well at this game. Do you want the new blood spend what little cbills they have on this stupid crap, have it fail and for them re-front their lost money on something that actually works? I e a feeling will just give up after they stop earning their cadet bonus.

I never said it wasn't a skill based mech. And it works very well, I brawl toe to toe with Atlases at close range with the Raven 4x and win and take down LRM boats, gauss and PPC snipers with ease using the small, hard to hit Raven 2X.

The point is it's possible to do, not that you should do it as a new player.

Almost everyone who is new is too scared to run a slow light mech and they all know why they should avoid it until they have the skills to back it up. Haven't you run a trial mech? They are slow light mechs. In fact my builds are faster than trial mechs despite having smaller engines due to unlocks.

Trust me, new players "know better." But it doesn't hurt to also know that they can do something amazing if they put their mind to it.

#19 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

hehe, I came across an ac20 raven on the outskirts of alpine, silly fella. I was in my 3ML spider, guess what I went for first, his leg. then polished off the other. but I knew he was just foolin around. he was probably laughing his arse off cuz he got stuck with alpine of all maps with that funny build.

#20 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

If new players actually knew better I wouldn't have bothered to post this after seeing so many slow light mechs die. But sure, go ahead and stuff your tiny mechs with as many weapons as you can and forget the engine because one guy did well with it. I look forward to meeting you on the battlefield. - I'll also add that almost all of these slow sniper or lrm light mech builds can be achieved with a heavier mech wearing more armor. If you don't want or need the speed, why handicap yourself?

Edited by BookWyrm, 11 August 2013 - 10:29 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users