Uac/5...is There A Trick To Using It?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

I see people talking about how wonderful they are and I see lots of loadouts that use them, but is there some trick to avoid jams? my understanding is that they will jam only if you tap the fire button twice...once to fire the first round and a second during cooldown for a "double fire." I typically just hold the fire button down, but is that forcing it to double fire? If not, then mine are constantly jammed. Is there some trick to firing them that will keep them from jamming so much?

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

No real trick, just re-fire it only after it's cool down.

People tend to like them because they run 3+ of them in a Cataphract or Jager. Then they can spam them. Even when they jam in those mech, you are firing so many shots, it doesn't matter as much since one gun is still firing at one time (or pretty close). Plus the initial firing is a lot of damage since the jam didn't kick in yet.

If you are using 1 or 2, use them like the A/C5 and double shoot only when you need to get that killing blow.

#3 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Right now, the behavior is such that if you hold down the fire button, you are "double tapping" at every opportunity.

If you click the fire button once every 1.1 seconds, you'll never experience a jam.

#4 Flagrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

On moving targets tap it like you are shooting an ac5. So aim tap aim tap. On stationary targets press down and hope it don't jam. Great if you are a fast skirmisher and love the dakka dakka. Also great if you have other weapons to shoot while the uac5 is unjamming. I have it on my cicada, dragon, and two in atlas.

#5 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

I've got an atlas with 2 in it. It seems to fire fine when testing but jam immediately in a firefight. Of course, I treat it like an AC2 and just hold the button. Maybe I will try to train myself to fire it more responsibly.

#6 GingerBang

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationThe Airport Hilton

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

they removed the ability to use pilot skill with U/AC5's to avoid jamming, now it is just a cruddy random algorithm. I've had it jam after just a single shot. So much for "The Thinking Man's Shooter" eh PGI?

#7 DarkDevilDancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Its a gamble it'll either deliver a stream of death or jam after 1 shot, but when it works it really works.

#8 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

There is but it only works if you have more than one, and you link fire them most of time the short cycle time between the 2 of them is enough to keep them from jamming, and if one jams you still have one that shoots.

#9 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

I have a great trick, prevents 100% of jams.
I just use AC/5s instead. They even cost fewer tons and crits and get 20% more ammo/ton!

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

If the mech chassis allows it, you can mount an UA/C6 that doesn't jam...

3 group fired A/C2s LOL (if they are grouped in the same location :ph34r: ).

Pros:
Long range
1 more damage
doesn't jam

Cons:
Bit hot
Heavier
chews through ammo if used carelessly

:lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users