Anyone Using Ssrms?

9 replies to this topic

#1 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

I sold my only SSRM mech that was my designated light hunter after I ran out of ammo before I could even kill a jenner. This was in addition to a UAC5 and small lasers contributing damage-wise.

#2 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

Nope SSRM2 are completely obsolete, and so are SRM2...but you can upgrade SRM to 4 or even 6, and since there are no SSRM>2 everyone uses SRM :-)

#3 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

I see plenty of people using them. As they currently stand they can be used by people with poor aim and at least put damage on target, but those with good aim are better off with SRMs. That's the way it should be.

#4 CravenMadness

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 174 posts
  • LocationNGNG TS3

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

I still run my A1 with two fifteens and four streaks... Seems lights are still deterred by ssrm 8 coming at them even if it doesn't center torso kill cherry red targets anymore. My damage has gone up almost a third now that my targets are living longer, and I also get more component destructions than I ever recall so that's cool. I've found a few instances where ssrms are more useful than srm 4+ ... Mostly on mechs like my raven 3l, cicada x-5, and my catapult a1. The first couple mechs don't get much use out of srm 4+ since there are only two missile tubes in those chassis' launchers and anything higher than two comes out staggered by 2s and you end up missing most of the shots unless you're firing into an assault/slow heavy/fat medium.

#5 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

SSRMs are now "finally balanced" to be completely useless. Take srm4 or don't bother with missile slots at all.

#6 Lt David Barns

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Personally I still use them in some of my lights for annoying heavies and assaults with constant missile warnings (the damage really is negligible). Also they seem to work against spiders in a somewhat reliable fashion. It still takes a lot of ammo and simultaneous laser fire until one finally kicks the bucket, but usually it keeps them away from wreaking havoc in the main battle line, as opposed to laser fire only.

They're not the perfect tool against light mechs anymore, but as a psychological weapon they still show some effect - it's just a question of how long this lasts... :ph34r:

#7 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

I tend to throw on a couple if I've got spare missile slots on an assault fitted with heavy pinpoint weapons.
Partially because SRMs don't mesh well with such a loadout, and partially so if I get a good hit on a light I can just ping him with SSRMs to finish the job rather than having to land a second hit on the component in question (probably taking a higher toll in heat/ammo)

Generally speaking I just frag lights with lasers, PPCs, ballistics, and SRMs though.

Edited by One Medic Army, 13 August 2013 - 02:37 AM.

#8 DemonRaziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

I still use them on both my Highlander and my Awesome (which I barely ever pilot these days, but that's a different story). They are useful when torso-twisting, or as a minor source of damage when my 'Mech too hot for it's primary weapon. Plus contrary to popular belief, they still help against Lights. Both to scare them off with the psychological effect and to finish them off once their armor was stripped on some locations.

Oh and I still keep one pair of streaks on my Jenner K, but that's pretty much just a filler. Something to use while jumping over the enemy or just to annoy the big guys on enemy team with the incomming missile warnings.

I personally don't think that it's a bad thing a 0.5t upgrade to SRM2s is no longer an I win button against a whole weight category (or two) of 'Mechs. It's still basically a free damage for next to no effort, except it no longer guarantees CT hits with each volley. And unlike the standard SRM2, this weapon system still has it's niche.

#9 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

I wouldn't touch current SSRMs with a ten foot pole, and I do like to fool around with weapons like LBX...

#10 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

I've soloed A1s running 4xSSRM2s in my Spiders... The Catapult is always the loser as I can place more damage where I want it than the scattered damage of the streaks... If streaks did 2 damage like normal SRMs I'd probably lose more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users