#61 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 18 August 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Exactly, you won't answer because you already know that Intel is the better overall performer. (price as a non issue)

Thanks for confirming what everyone in the industry already knows. :)

You are still stuck on one fact that stil has me howling, you sir are a joke, This is AMD thread , do you really think we all give two flying f***s about Intels lineup, We with higher forms of self exploration, personality, and critical thinking skills will be able to make descisions based on our own thoughts, or experiences, you are stuck on a benchmark results page. I can now ROFL hard. you are the single most silly thread jacker I have ever witnessed, Tell me some more about Intels Awesomesauce lineup. that costs 2-3 times as much money to do the same thing, You probably drive an An A4 audi, when you could have bought the VW thats the Twin car and put gas in it for a year for the price difference, (AWD being only difference in those two cars)**edit** status isn't a state of being, Its an insecurity. You and a lot of other people should learn to please yourself and not worry how cool you look with bling and brandnames.

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 19 August 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#62 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

I can't join the rofl, I have to pee bad right now, so I'll post this quick.
It's a benchmark showing i7 vs FX8350 in Crysis3.
Good for Intel we will not talk about prices, but it looks like AMD still does better at CE3 performance.

And excuse the french on the link, it's german.
Benchmark

I hope it will spice up the thread a bit.

Toilett's calling, bye bye!

#63 Byzan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostHavok1978, on 18 August 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

understood byzan, and what about the amd apu's? such as the A-10?

also to note the rig i use isnt power hungry at all...

AMD's APU's are great, if I was a poor student again I'd probably have one. maybe even a hybrid crossfire setup which sounds interesting.

obviously CPU wise they are underpowered but the processor itself is something like 50% dedicated to GPU so it's gaming performance is better than any intel integrated GPU.

they need to keep at it though, the critical point will be when an APU can run modern games 30fps at 1080p

you have to wonder how long it will be till we see APU's like what is going to be in the PS4 vailable for PC builds.

AMD really need to go move advanced than their current 32mn process to make major gains.

#64 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

Aff, the CE3 engine is multi-threaded so an AMD will perform better in those aspects which makes me wonder why its not in MWO, unless theres something else going on, this is why I was going to run the benchmarks on my FX-6300 in the first place before all this debacle broke out.

modern gaming will move more into multi-threading from this point forward I believe but will AMD hold the top spot in multi-threaded apps over intel? who knows to be honest, Kavari core sets hold alot of promise for AMD.

in the early 2000-05 era it was the GHZ race, now its the core race... who will come out on top here? who knows... but as far as most gamers are concerned there is a window of performance a CPU holds and the GPU makes up the rest. how "well" a game runs still depends on matched components and how well the system is tuned overall... benchmarks are like statistics afterall, they will support whatever claim is made depending on how they are skewed.

take for example my intial claim that my rig butchered an i7 gaming rig, this is in fact true.. but as I also pointed out to the crazy extremist on here, I was stacking a heavily OC'ed AMD chip against an intel stock clocked... I didnt pick my opponent though, I just ran the bench and thats what it showed me. both rigs are set-up to game, both game equally well, so at this point it comes down to the investment cost, the i7 rig was priced at 2700$ whereas mine was 750$

if the performance is slightly better then why not go with the cheaper rig? you would have to be insane not to.
so then it could be said, well if you OC'ed the intel... and sure then it becomes a bit different, but in that same aspect you could still upgrade to a higher performing AMD chip and still only bump the cost of my rig by 100$, then OC that chip and be ahead of the intel rig again, cept this time head and shoulders above it... still saving yourself 1900$ in the process...
though id wager it would prolly be closer to 1850$ due to needing to upgrade the water cooling cuz mine is close to its capacity for cooling a 5Ghz chip.

building an overclocked rig like mine is something that takes preplanning, or it just wont work out the way mine did..
I preplanned this build at every turn to combat heat and noise. so to get this type of performance from an AMD you need to put alot of for thought into it which some ppl just cant do or cant be bothered to do... buying the most expensive mobo wont do this for you, or the most expensive vidcard either etc... it really takes looking at your compnents and figureing out what you intend to do..

I was planning on getting an AMD A-10 laptop for on the go gaming until Catamount and I discussed it and he pointed out the power consumption, which I have to consider, I mean what good is it to have a laptop for portability if the battery is dead in 2 hours? so I'll prolly go intel on the laptop I buy, but i dunno... the lower price of the AMD is still tempting =)

AMD and intel will always battle each other, they are just doing it in different markets these days, intel cant compete with AMD in price range and for gaming its really a toss up and ultimately you can only clock an AMD up to fight an intel chip so high then you end up with a pool of slag.. the tech savvy consumer will play those margins regaurdless of branding unless they have stock in the company or wish they did... so price point really is what it comes down to.

#65 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well an AMD gaming Rig Vs Intel gaming rig still has us playing games now doesn't it.

#66 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostHavok1978, on 20 August 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Aff, the CE3 engine is multi-threaded so an AMD will perform better in those aspects which makes me wonder why its not in MWO, unless theres something else going on, this is why I was going to run the benchmarks on my FX-6300 in the first place before all this debacle broke out.

modern gaming will move more into multi-threading from this point forward I believe but will AMD hold the top spot in multi-threaded apps over intel? who knows to be honest, Kavari core sets hold alot of promise for AMD.

in the early 2000-05 era it was the GHZ race, now its the core race... who will come out on top here? who knows... but as far as most gamers are concerned there is a window of performance a CPU holds and the GPU makes up the rest. how "well" a game runs still depends on matched components and how well the system is tuned overall... benchmarks are like statistics afterall, they will support whatever claim is made depending on how they are skewed.

take for example my intial claim that my rig butchered an i7 gaming rig, this is in fact true.. but as I also pointed out to the crazy extremist on here, I was stacking a heavily OC'ed AMD chip against an intel stock clocked... I didnt pick my opponent though, I just ran the bench and thats what it showed me. both rigs are set-up to game, both game equally well, so at this point it comes down to the investment cost, the i7 rig was priced at 2700$ whereas mine was 750$

if the performance is slightly better then why not go with the cheaper rig? you would have to be insane not to.
so then it could be said, well if you OC'ed the intel... and sure then it becomes a bit different, but in that same aspect you could still upgrade to a higher performing AMD chip and still only bump the cost of my rig by 100$, then OC that chip and be ahead of the intel rig again, cept this time head and shoulders above it... still saving yourself 1900$ in the process...
though id wager it would prolly be closer to 1850$ due to needing to upgrade the water cooling cuz mine is close to its capacity for cooling a 5Ghz chip.

building an overclocked rig like mine is something that takes preplanning, or it just wont work out the way mine did..
I preplanned this build at every turn to combat heat and noise. so to get this type of performance from an AMD you need to put alot of for thought into it which some ppl just cant do or cant be bothered to do... buying the most expensive mobo wont do this for you, or the most expensive vidcard either etc... it really takes looking at your compnents and figureing out what you intend to do..

I was planning on getting an AMD A-10 laptop for on the go gaming until Catamount and I discussed it and he pointed out the power consumption, which I have to consider, I mean what good is it to have a laptop for portability if the battery is dead in 2 hours? so I'll prolly go intel on the laptop I buy, but i dunno... the lower price of the AMD is still tempting =)

AMD and intel will always battle each other, they are just doing it in different markets these days, intel cant compete with AMD in price range and for gaming its really a toss up and ultimately you can only clock an AMD up to fight an intel chip so high then you end up with a pool of slag.. the tech savvy consumer will play those margins regaurdless of branding unless they have stock in the company or wish they did... so price point really is what it comes down to.

sorry if i didnt follow much this post but AMD always comes out top in term of price vs performance IMO

yes it cannot beat Intel if both are on the same clock speeds but who care about that when AMD are much cheaper than Intel by few hundred bucks if you are comparing the best AMD and best Intel

yes AMD CPU are hot but the few hundred you saved could be use to invest on a good cooler and still game at decent frame rates.

Really hate those pure Intel {Noble MechWarrior} booing AMD {Noble MechWarriors}

Edited by Dragoon20005, 20 August 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#67 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

ya that was the whole point of that post. my AMD rig cost 750 versus an intel rig that cost 2700, my AMD came out on top.
and amd arent hot actually, mine under full load is only 46 celcius.. the problem isnt the cooler, its the resevoir.

I'm using a Corsair H-60, if I went to a higher capacity cooler like an H-80 or H-120 then I could prolly go higher than 5Ghz.

at the moment though if it stays wound out then theres not enough liquid to exchange the heat and eventually it will overheat, (took 28hrs last time) so im oretty much at the H-60's limit.

#68 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

if ready made cooler just don't work

make your own water cooler with UV liquids and straight right angle tubing and a resevoir!!!

back to hot CPU

well the FX9350 will be the stupidest move by AMD

220W TDP do need a huge water cooler and those cheap water cooler will not sustain stable temps

#69 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 21 August 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

if ready made cooler just don't work

make your own water cooler with UV liquids and straight right angle tubing and a resevoir!!!

back to hot CPU

well the FX9350 will be the stupidest move by AMD

220W TDP do need a huge water cooler and those cheap water cooler will not sustain stable temps

well due to pre-manufactured closed loop systems a custom water solution is actually more expensive to construct than to buy..
H-60 was only 65$ when i got it. to make a water system you need a radiator of some form, a pump head and water blocks.

i agree about the chip though thats too much power draw... but the kavari cores are 28nm and show alot of promise so theres that...

#70 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

If they would just re-size Vishera to smaller die size I am sure power consumption would land in a more suitable and competitive TDP!

#71 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

Truth be told, I wish I had gone with an FX8350 instead of my 3570k. IHS aside, few if any games will meaningfully bottleneck either chip right now beyond MWO -where an OCed 8350 does just fine anyways- and by the time games start, I'll have a lot more faith in having double the threads than a slightly better per-thread performance. I fully predict I'll have to grab a 3770k long before I abandon the 1155 platform.

#72 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostCatamount, on 21 August 2013 - 06:42 AM, said:

Truth be told, I wish I had gone with an FX8350 instead of my 3570k. IHS aside, few if any games will meaningfully bottleneck either chip right now beyond MWO -where an OCed 8350 does just fine anyways- and by the time games start, I'll have a lot more faith in having double the threads than a slightly better per-thread performance. I fully predict I'll have to grab a 3770k long before I abandon the 1155 platform.

This is the whole underlying point to all this CPU discussion everyday everywhere............ They both do the same job, they will both cross the finish line, in style......... Chevy or Dodge V8s will both lay rubberpatches when u flog it, so this Intel AMD things sure gets tiring.
Just imagine You tied a boat anchor to your Ram 1500, and than drag raced it........LMAO This game shouldnt be bogging any 4+ core system out there that has lvl 3 cache...... and DDr3 ram, ugh, someday it will play properly, until than, lets just hope that MWO doesnt go any further backwards in terms of Performance and push out all those rigs that are barely scraping by after the last 3-4 patches that cut FPS in half................*SHAKES FIST*

#73 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I wonder if DX11 is going to be the only thing that saves this game's performance, CPU-side. In terms of GPU it's not even all that intensive.

#74 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostCatamount, on 21 August 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I wonder if DX11 is going to be the only thing that saves this game's performance, CPU-side. In terms of GPU it's not even all that intensive.

Wouldn't that be awesome if DX11 shifted the ratio of CPU:GPU to a more normal level, as Crytec has intended.......At this point If I have to upgrade my video card to continue just to play MWO(at prefered eyecandy/FPS), I may as well try every other top end req. PC title out there while Im spending my money on a HEAVY-DUTY GPU.....making me less likely to spend $ on MWO............ AMD gaming bundles(with GPU) or NVIDIA GPU +https://www.humblebundle.com/ LOL.........again pulling me away from MWO. Truth be told I only wanna play MWO, but if I was going to spend a big chunk it would be to play everything, not just MWO.........They loose either way.

#75 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

LoL Catamount and I are both tech heads, neither of us are loyal to a brand.. well.. I'm loyal to MSi... but thats beside the point, He and I have had many discussions about tweeking performance and trouble shooting things, but one of things I have always liked about him is he takes a very similar approach to things that I do.. whats practical and whats the best value? cuz at the end of the day thats where everything is pointed at.

the new kalvari cores, if you havent looked at them yet, are gonna be something. 28nm with 4 cpu cores and 2 gpu cores if I remember correctly, but the biggest trick in its basket is that they will use GDDR5 as system ram... and they are due out in the 4th quarter. So for gaming thats alot of promise! it essentially means a more powerful and faster chipset at a reduced cost... this is where the merging of consoles and PC's will happen.

#76 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

kalvari cores using GDDR5?

thats new

could you show us a link?

so far the news is only the A88X for the kalvari cores only supporting DDR3 and PCI-E 3.0 and better hybrid X-Fire support

#77 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

It's currently not know for sure if Kaveri will support GDDR5 or not, but it's strongly rumored by some (if not all) sources. AMD themselves appear to be giving contradictory information there.

You can easily Google around for some of the discussion on that

#78 Havok1978

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 371 posts
  • LocationTexaz!!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/3/5/amd-kaveri-unveiled-pc-architecture-gets-gddr5.aspx

its still semi speculation but the hardware is there and the thing with it is it can use either gddr5 or ddr3 but not both, so it will depend purely on the board i assume or if the memory is direct soldered to the board perhaps, not sure.

AMD went fabless awhile back, meaning they dont produce thier own chips. however the new tech they have come out with <called hetrogenous cputing i think is what its called> is being pushed by several companies in a alliance. one of those companies is Texas Instruments. haveing worked at TI in one of thier clean rooms I can say that TI has many many many wafer Fabs and can produce AMD's chips with ease.

Edited by Havok1978, 22 August 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#79 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

GDDR5 onboard the Kaveri

I will fap to this lolz

but still wait and see

#80 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'm actually looking forwards to kaveri quite a bit myself from a cheap laptop perspective. In particular I'm hoping AMD will be smart and release dual APU motherboards so you can crossfire 2 APUs to give you 8 cores of fun. Either that or they'll put tresFX (I want Tomb raider quality hair in all my games darnit) and physics onto the GPU portion of the APU and let my big honking dGPU handle the rest of the graphics.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users