ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

Why do we like it? Why is it so iconic?

Honestly, it's possibly the worst designed, and least useful of the Heavy Mechs in the original 3025 TRO. Nowhere near enough ammo for it's ACs, nowhere near enough heatsinks for it's lasers and nowhere near enough armor, for , well, ANYTHING.

And yet, it's a beloved staple. Mostly, IMO due to the art, which is, unfortunately, also what keeps it out of circulation. Lots of redesigns out there, some of the better ones, like Shimmering Swords, unfortunately TOO true to the original, and hence no getting around the issues.

Anyhow, whilst bored and re-watching Sherlock (brilliant series), was doodling and came up with another rough

Posted Image

and my original
Posted Image

input? I mean I know they have ludicrously short legs and giant toes, because, you know, I want them to be able to actually stand up, especially when firing heavy weapons, or being hit by said weapons, but aside from that?

and while in the Rifleman mode, it's clan successor, the Galahad is also being worked on
Posted Image

just cuz.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 14 August 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#2 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Why is nobody responding? The nostalgia is burning my eyes. I like the toes, it looks a bit more turret like, which the mech is intended to be (isnt it?) and a turrets needs a solid foot.

Great art, as always you never fail to amaze.

#3 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yes this Looks really good. Although I believe the Rifleman was replaced with the Jaguer mech. I cannot remember if they both existed in the Battletech universe. Could be wrong. But dont think we will see the rifleman. Anyways keep it up and see you on the Battle field!

#4 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well, its called the Rifleman.. so I think the arms should look like two (four?) old-west lever action rifles!! ;-)

Seriously tho, I like it! Once again, I think the arms on the new sketch are maybe a skootch beefy? Maybe lengthening the barrels would help.. or maybe blend in some inspiration from the arms from your original draft?

Great stuff, as always!

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostMagik0012, on 14 August 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Well, its called the Rifleman.. so I think the arms should look like two (four?) old-west lever action rifles!! ;-)

Seriously tho, I like it! Once again, I think the arms on the new sketch are maybe a skootch beefy? Maybe lengthening the barrels would help.. or maybe blend in some inspiration from the arms from your original draft?

Great stuff, as always!

and......

just how svelte should arms carrying 13 tons of weapons be? Just kinda curious, lol.

#6 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I like your original more than the WIP. Something about those gun shields just looks right.

#7 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'd forgotten about the Galahad. Especially since the Rifleman IIc is a pretty good design if a bit munchy. 4 large pulse lasers, 19 DHS, active probe and...A small laser for some reason. It can only run 54kph and its jump is kinda weak, but stick in standard 3/4 Clan pilot and those pulse lasers hardly miss.

That's what I thought your Galahad rendition originally was until I read the comment. I like the stark contrasts between the technology and designs of your different designs. the blocky shapes of the innersphere Rifleman and the way you captured the Macross look, and then the more organic look of the Galahad and the detail you've added to it. Then there's your original sketch with a more militaristic feel with the gun shields (I almost put them on my reworking!).

Rather well done, I think.

#8 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

i like the last one with the gauss except the plate on the head. my least favorite is the first one for me its to much of an Awesome Dragon with Jager hand :P
but in the other hand its big and sure have a presence so i may would go with it.
well i always imagined the rifleman a fragile slim mech with insane firepower i may watched the wrong art :P
how would a slim design look ?

#9 Justy Starflare

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

Very nice. I'd buy a rifleman or three if they looked like those. And yes the jagermech was in tro 3025 with the rifleman.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostFlying Judgement, on 14 August 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

i like the last one with the gauss except the plate on the head. my least favorite is the first one for me its to much of an Awesome Dragon with Jager hand :P
but in the other hand its big and sure have a presence so i may would go with it.
well i always imagined the rifleman a fragile slim mech with insane firepower i may watched the wrong art :P
how would a slim design look ?

well, the Galahad has an AWACs dish on it's head, so it's kinda a major design feature. Lose that, and it aint' a Galahad no more.

#11 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

sorry i didnt know
it can some handy so i could jump on the top of it with a highlander :P
i like ur designs by the way they are nice

yep he was the slimmest and tallest looking so that was my choice.
but when i look at the firs one i start liking it more and more.

#12 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

the Galahad is also being worked on
Posted Image

just cuz.

OMG, I need a moment here to compose myself.................................

hang on, almost.................

OK I can breathe again.

Dear GOD man, its perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

I have a thing for the walking gun platform mechs, Blackjack, Rifleman, Galahad, are always in my top 5 mechs.
I've been on a Galahad kick lately and I'm working on every variant from the earliest prototype to the final Clan version.
I'm in love with the SL version and I'd love to see some more drawings of it but you are on the road to making the Clan version look perfect. I can't wait to see the final product.
Posted Image

When you are done with the Clan version, please takle this one.
Posted Image

Edited by maxoconnor, 15 August 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#13 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

I have to say your original is my favorite. It just looks so aggressive and mean!

GREAT WORK as always Bishop!

Greywolf

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 15 August 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

OMG, I need a moment here to compose myself.................................

hang on, almost.................

OK I can breathe again.

Dear GOD man, its perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image

I have a thing for the walking gun platform mechs, Blackjack, Rifleman, Galahad, are always in my top 5 mechs.
I've been on a Galahad kick lately and I'm working on every variant from the earliest prototype to the final Clan version.
I'm in love with the SL version and I'd love to see some more drawings of it but you are on the road to making the Clan version look perfect. I can't wait to see the final product.
Posted Image

When you are done with the Clan version, please takle this one.
Posted Image

is the cockpit in the MIDDLE of the radar dish? Yeah, that has to be good for his fertility.......

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostMagik0012, on 14 August 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Great stuff, as always!

Posted Image

#16 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Great work as usual Bishop :)

A couple of thoughts:

If you don't mind glassy cockpits maybe pull the canopy a bit further back for better visibility.
Make the AC5s a little more gun-like, as with your older version. Maybe have an ejection port showing and have some distinctive muzzle brakes on them.

Much prefer the new torso with the D2J scanner sticking up, thats another Rifleman staple. I always think wide-legged stance, wide feet, jointless arms and the spinny mechanically-scanned radar :)

#17 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

I wonder if you can rework something as ugly as the Huron Warrior.
http://www.sarna.net...ron_Warrior.jpg
http://www.sarna.net...ron_Warrior.jpg

Edited by HanaYuriko, 15 August 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#18 Foster Bondroff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

I really like your new second version.

For the Rifleman i feel it would be cool to have the arms mirrored verticaly. Turn them upside down so the long barrel is the lower one and see if that makes it even more likeable. :unsure:

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostFoster Bondroff, on 15 August 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

I really like your new second version.

For the Rifleman i feel it would be cool to have the arms mirrored verticaly. Turn them upside down so the long barrel is the lower one and see if that makes it even more likeable. :unsure:

possibly. The AC is on top for a reason. Lasers are straight line, hitscan, for all intents and purposes. An Autocannon needs to be fired at an arc, since it is affected by gravity. Hence it fires in a rainbow trajectory. If the ac barrel is lower, it will intersect the laser path, potentially interrupting the laser beam and shooting the shell.

So.........

#20 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

An Autocannon needs to be fired at an arc, since it is affected by gravity.

Bishop I love your work...But re-think this...never have i fired a gun and had the bullet go in an arc upwards then come down...They only drop...if its on top it could drop in to the laser fire...depending on how long the laser beam lasted.

I understand that you may aim above the target to get the bullet to follow an arching path but it never comes out of the barrel and arcs up. It always drops.

Awesome re-designs...always a pleasure to come to the posts and look at some of the best Mech art.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users