Signiture issues

15 replies to this topic

#1 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Not sure what is going on here... looking at the rules, I'm doing fine.

Your signature may contain:
  • • Up to 1 images
  • • Images up to 720 x 80 pixels
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Up to 4 lines

I can edit the text that currently exists, no problem. I can add more lines, no issues.

If I try to add a second line of text (with a link) at the bottom, I get an error message. If I try to add more text (with a link) without a carriage return, I get an error message. Is the system counting the html code as separate lines, thus making me have more than 4?

[#10211] You may only use up to 4 lines of text in your signature.

#2 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

I think the forum software will count an image as a certain number of lines to make up the 80px limit. Try reducing the image height and see if you can add the extra line.

#3 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

That's the weird thing... I'm able to get the 2nd line of text, but I can't add an html link to it without getting the line error.

#4 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Ohhh, that is odd. I'll look into this problem over the weekend. I'll reply to this topic if I come up with anything.

#5 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Kyle!

#6 maxx2504

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

Hi !
Sorry but why are you set the limit to 80 pixels ? I just wanna know a reason for it :)

maxx

#7 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:34 AM

80 pixels? That's way too small!
150 pixels max. is ok, but not more. Some guys overdo it here. Mine is almost too big, but i'll don't change it, cause 80 pixels is a bit absurd.
When 150 pixels were possible, i would make it a bit smaller.

#8 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

Larger size was abused (some had like 600 pixel height images), so they went to the other side of the spectrum.

I actually like the 80 pixel height, even if it does feel a little restrictive. Makes it more like a banner.

#9 eXecute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIn Space

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

Yeah I tried to get it to like 150px but it was turned down. Refused. So I wont be editing my Sig any time soon.

#10 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

Kyle, any luck tracking down the problem? In case it helps, I sent you a message with the sig code that's giving me trouble.

#11 Von Ryan

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

View Postmaxx2504, on 10 November 2011 - 09:15 AM, said:

Hi !
Sorry but why are you set the limit to 80 pixels ? I just wanna know a reason for it :D

maxx

It's a forum, not photobucket or picasa web album. :) Most giant sigs are just people repeating their name which you can see above their avatar, then using a massive images for no reason other than they can - eXecute and his massive sig is a perfect example of this, although it's not his forum name that's repeated. (no offense intended dude, just you've got the biggest sig! :D )

When the signatures take up more room that the posts, it makes the content harder to read as you have to keep scrolling past the images to find the 2 lines of text people write. It also breaks up the conversation. Pretty much every forum out there has strict sig limits, heck most don't even allow sigs or just allow text only.

If you look at your sig and maxx2504's sig, whist the style/info is the same, I think his looks much better.

Edited by Von Ryan, 17 November 2011 - 04:35 AM.

#12 eXecute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIn Space

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

You do know I have 2 sigs. lol both 150px in height. 2nd one is a Battlefield 3 stats sig which is updated each time I hit a update button on the bf3stats.com after playing a few rounds of Battlefield 3. Yeah I do agree, it is big. Maybe 125px in height i would consider and change my sig around, but 80px is kinda bad for me. So until then I will keep it the same.

#13 genka

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

So, apparently, the "report" button is not the appropriate venue to air my grievances with peoples' obnoxiously large, rule-breaking signature pics. Rather, I should post my issues publicly, and so I will:
Here is a short list of posters I have recently seen with signature pictures that are taller than the allowed 80 pixels:
The Birdeater
eXecute
Von Ryan
MaddMaxx
DFDelta
SquareSphere
Aidan
Ghost
Cyber Carns
CoffiNail
Amarus Cameron

Now, I expect someone will argue that I should just relax about the whole thing and ignore the signatures that annoy me, so let me pre-emptively respond with this question: Why should I cripple the way I look at the forums for the sake of someone that can't follow simple rules?
Is it my fault that eXecute wants to take a stand with his obnoxious and redundant signatures? Is it my fault that Cyber Carns wants everyone to see a youtube video?
I don't think it is, and I don't think it should be up to me, or any other non-moderator user, to deal with every single person that decides to over-step the set boundaries.

#14 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Posted November 2011 - 01:31 PM
"The forum signature height will remain at 80px due to abuse. Anyone who has a signature that is bigger before the restriction can keep it until they change it. This topic is now closed."

Because the restriction came in late, we are currently allowing people who had signatures larger than 80px to keep them until they change them. The YouTube video is something we will address.

#15 genka

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

So, what you're saying is that all signature moderation has been relegated to a script that checks the size of the image before it becomes part of your sig, and that you won't bother with moderating any images that gets past that "crippling" counter-measure?

#16 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:13 AM

View Postgenka, on 23 November 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

So, apparently, the "report" button is not the appropriate venue to air my grievances with peoples' obnoxiously large, rule-breaking signature pics.

genka: I told you that the report tool can be used for a single instance of a problem, not every single problem. This floods us with useless reports and deters us from dealing with actual code of conduct problems as opposed to æsthetics problems. In your report you could've listed all the signatures that you took issue with.

View Postgenka, on 23 November 2011 - 09:47 AM, said:

Now, I expect someone will argue that I should just relax about the whole thing and ignore the signatures that annoy me, so let me pre-emptively respond with this question: Why should I cripple the way I look at the forums for the sake of someone that can't follow simple rules?

genka: You can ignore specific users signatures as well. This is why we asked that you file a single report. If you take issue with the signature, you are already crippling the way you look at the forums, as you asked for action on the signature.

The rules remain in effect. When the post-abuse restriction was put it place, people with larger graphics were grandfathered into the new system, but if they try to change their signature it will be put at the new restriction.

Obnoxious signatures will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis for now by our community manager.