Noobs Exist, So Stow The Attitudes

85 replies to this topic

#21 HeavyRain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

Can we please stop the derrogatory comments about people who are new at this game?
They are not "riding the short bus", "not able to breathe without instructions", etc etc, that you think is funny to write about them.
They are just inexperienced people who make the same mistakes that you did when you first started playing YOUR FIRST MECHWARRIOR GAME (yes, that one 23 years ago when you were a kid still counts as experience, not just MWO).
Each and every one of us made the same ridiculous mistakes in the beginning and if you don't admit it you are just lying.
First come to terms with this and then blame PGI about its terrible matchmaking all you want, I'm with you on that one.

#22 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

1: OP: your intent is correct. (however, I would appreciate it if you didn't use a lost mechwarrior pilot as a guilt chip. It doesn't add anything and frankly it is insulting on multiple levels.)

2: People can point the finger at PGI, up until they find out for sure that the player is brand new. once that happens your behavior is a direct reflection on you.

(we aren't animals-you can't just say "the tiger went tiger when you put the newbie in its cage")

#23 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 August 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

2) Teammates who tend to do newbish stuff, as in not being part of the main group and/or shooting after spawning easily aggravates people. This practice of "testing your weapons" in the direction of your teammates has to stop.

I agree that these behaviors are pretty much crap, but they’re not isolated to new people.

Testing weapons, when we have a Testing Ground AND you can now pick the hottest map to test your heat buildup, is pretty silly. If you’re a good enough player to be frustrated by new players, you should know about the Testing Ground. And yet...Founders' Atlas testing at the spawn point. Fail.

Not being part of the main group, or splitting the group in half, is really aggravating to see. …Especially last night when I saw a team split multiple times, and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I would think someone in a Founders’ Atlas and his friend in an ECM Atlas would realize they way they’re going to the enemy base is A) The long way and B ) Not where the enemy is, because they stopped coming from that direction when you killed them all. And C) Why do you go the long way when you’ve made your Atlas slower than stock? On Alpine? We were ahead by one kill, and if the whole team had stuck together, we probably would have won. But, nooooo… The guys in the Atlases had to go the opposite way from everyone else, because somehow they knew better....Right.

So, the group with the lighter mechs was destroyed first because they were going the right way to find the enemy, and they found the whole enemy team at once. The Atlases turned around when they realized what was going on, but they were far away and really damn slow. I'm sure they patted themselves on the back for being the last guys standing, as half the enemy team descended on them.

View PostMaster Q, on 18 August 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

I had to "test" a few weapons today. Reload of software from a few days ago left my weapon groupings screwed up (and there is no accounting for what "Mechlab" will do to them on a reload). Since I bind some of them to a left-arm or right-arm setup...

Testing Ground. Seriously.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 19 August 2013 - 04:22 AM.

#24 Flitzomat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

In any case be friendly to the new player. I usually always write "hey playerxyz, theres a min range on LRMS of 180m" when I see them shooting point blank

The response is always very grateful and reads smth like: "Ok, thx so much, I am new to the game and I couldn´t figure out why I don´t deal damage"

I don´t understand experienced players and vets that start raging about PGI instead of helping. Reminds me of a mother trying to get down stairs with a baby buggy. 50 people walk by having a real good excuse, I help. 11 players rage in front of their PC no one gives a hind *sigh

Edit: An ironic comment about the team performance is ok, picking out on a player who is obviously new not

Edited by Flitzomat, 19 August 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#25 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

[Yoda voice] So much hate... so much anger... [/Yoda voice]

I have to admit there seems to be a disproportionate number of self-serving egotistical e-schnitzel swingers in this community...

Actually, upon further reflection... The numbers might not necessarily be "more" than other communities... It may simply be this game, being a niche genre, has a smaller player base and as a result, the percentage "feels" like there's a douche around every corner. :)

#26 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:39 AM

It's not hard to be nice.
I always try to say something encouraging to new players, if they make an effort and do their best and still fail that could just as well happen to me.
If I'm grumpy or feeling angry about my team I *try* to shut up and take it out on my enemies instead.

#27 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 19 August 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

I agree that these behaviors are pretty much crap, but they’re not isolated to new people.

Testing weapons, when we have a Testing Ground AND you can now pick the hottest map to test your heat buildup, is pretty silly. If you’re a good enough player to be frustrated by new players, you should know about the Testing Ground. And yet...Founders' Atlas testing at the spawn point. Fail.

Except that multiple times, I've tested a 'Mech in the Testing Ground, set up weapon groups, and then THOSE WEAPON GROUP SETS DID NOT TRANSFER TO MATCH PLAY.

Lesson learned: don't trust the Testing Ground. What to do? Test on drop. Only way to double-check and make sure PGI's badly coded Mechlab didn't switch out a couple weapons in the priority order and undo my weapon groups.

Not being part of the main group, or splitting the group in half, is really aggravating to see. …Especially last night when I saw a team split multiple times, and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I would think someone in a Founders’ Atlas and his friend in an ECM Atlas would realize they way they’re going to the enemy base is A) The long way and B ) Not where the enemy is, because they stopped coming from that direction when you killed them all. And C) Why do you go the long way when you’ve made your Atlas slower than stock? On Alpine? We were ahead by one kill, and if the whole team had stuck together, we probably would have won. But, nooooo… The guys in the Atlases had to go the opposite way from everyone else, because somehow they knew better....Right.

For faster 'Mechs or Brawling 'Mechs, split/groups makes sense. I've lost count how many times I've seen players JUST LIKE YOU berate other players on these very forums for saying "brawling is dead" by countering with "brawling is fine, you just have to split off from the group, flank the enemy, move around cover instead of coming straight in. Noob."

I didn't see the match in question, so I don't know the specifics. But you know what? If someone was trying to follow the "advice" I've seen spouted dozens of times on these very forums, then I'm not going to jump on your little arglebargle bandwagon against them.

So, the group with the lighter mechs was destroyed first because they were going the right way to find the enemy, and they found the whole enemy team at once. The Atlases turned around when they realized what was going on, but they were far away and really damn slow. I'm sure they patted themselves on the back for being the last guys standing, as half the enemy team descended on them.

So you're telling me the issues are:
- Atlases went one way, lighter mechs went the other.
- Lighter mechs found the entire enemy group (happens sometimes, same as scouts occasionally turning a corner to find 6-8 mechs all lighting them up with PPCs).
- For whatever reason, lighter mechs weren't able to disengage or form a fighting retreat (I can see a number of ways this could happen).

Now, WHY were those lighter mechs not staying with their Atlases? I've been working on my Atlas grind recently and running in my D-DC, I'm constantly amazed at the number of mechs willing to just charge straight ahead rather than stick closer to the ECM umbrella. I even sacrificed some weapon potential to slot a bigger-than-stock engine to try to "keep up" with them after verbal abuse from players like you, but let's face it, an Atlas isn't fast even at the highest allowable engine. And I know better, far better, than to try to slot an XL into an Atlas. That's just asking for death, the enemy targets your RT straight off.

So what to do? I mean, I'm carrying ECM. I've got the umbrella, I've got decent firepower and a bigger than normal engine to keep some mobility up. Playing could be a great experience IF teammates would stick close and coordinate. Instead, I get comments like "stop piloting a Fatlas they are crap" from other players who are busy in the Stalker/Jager/Blackjack meta or abusing the currently broken Spider.

#28 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

You know, my first few games a match I try and be helpful to the nooblets. I give them loadout advice (Hey, that build runs quite hot even though you're only using 4x Medium Lasers. You should head on over to mechspecs.de and look up some nice loadouts to get the most of that mech), and generally try to herd the blob in a direction that may win us the game. But then I remember...

It is not unusual to me to have 8-10 absolutely worthless members on my team, while the enemy team seems loaded with veterans with a brain. I see atlas's move for the cap out of the gate, I see Ravens move along with the main brawling force, I see Jenners loaded with a rainbow of lasers, I see other horrific loadouts with no rhyme or reason to them. I become a raging ***** very quickly, especially when they ignore my instructions. I say "Don't go water," they tell me to F-off and go water, then when I tell them they're all idiots for ignoring my instructions, they get ********. Yes, please ignore the golden symbol next to my name, surely I cannot know what I am doing.

When PGI implements a PUG-only queue, I'll stop raging, because at least then I know I have a chance at a fair game. ELO eliminates the possibility for me to have a fair game. As for right now, I formally apologize for the abuse I spew when I begin to lose, but it is quite rage-inducing to be rolled 5 games in a row when the losses could have been avoided had the PUGs followed even SOME of my instructions.

#29 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

View PostDegeneratePervert, on 19 August 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

You know, my first few games a match I try and be helpful to the nooblets. I give them loadout advice (Hey, that build runs quite hot even though you're only using 4x Medium Lasers. You should head on over to mechspecs.de and look up some nice loadouts to get the most of that mech), and generally try to herd the blob in a direction that may win us the game. But then I remember...

It is not unusual to me to have 8-10 absolutely worthless members on my team, while the enemy team seems loaded with veterans with a brain. I see atlas's move for the cap out of the gate, I see Ravens move along with the main brawling force, I see Jenners loaded with a rainbow of lasers, I see other horrific loadouts with no rhyme or reason to them. I become a raging ***** very quickly, especially when they ignore my instructions. I say "Don't go water," they tell me to F-off and go water, then when I tell them they're all idiots for ignoring my instructions, they get ********. Yes, please ignore the golden symbol next to my name, surely I cannot know what I am doing.

When PGI implements a PUG-only queue, I'll stop raging, because at least then I know I have a chance at a fair game. ELO eliminates the possibility for me to have a fair game. As for right now, I formally apologize for the abuse I spew when I begin to lose, but it is quite rage-inducing to be rolled 5 games in a row when the losses could have been avoided had the PUGs followed even SOME of my instructions.

PGI is not responsible for your behavior; you are. It's not PGI's fault that you rage at people for losing; that's your fault for not being able to control your emotions. Nobody has the right to abuse another person.

#30 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

Just started playing again after 2 months so here's my two bills worth of advice: 1. Yelling/insulting players only makes you look like the jerk. In MWO there is nobody to blame but yourself because there are no rules other than don't go out of bounds. When lone wolf players and organized players butt heads and go separate directions, that turns the organized players into lone wolfs too because they are unwilling to stick by the new player. 2. Games like this use to come with nice cardboard keyboard layouts which explained all of the controls, but because PGI runs on a budget of ******* and hookers, the game takes a back seat revealing the shallow cash cow FPS it truly is, so PGI is just as to blame for lone wolfs as the high ranked ELO players are. Conclusion: Complainers never win because they can only complain while they are dead. (or they are superbads and typing during play) It is the fault of the lances and high ranked players for not recruiting more and trying to improve the game's overall stock of quality players. PGI can't lure high quality players in because there's no public ranking systems, few events with terrible prizes, and they charge WAY too much for unbalanced buggy mechs that look "pretty" on screen. The genuine appeal of MWO has to come from gameplay and community. Since the community has always been at odds with the janky gameplay, it's no surprise they are also untilling to help make that community grow until the studio meets the basic demands of their hardcore supporters.

Edited by lockwoodx, 19 August 2013 - 05:18 AM.

#31 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 19 August 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

PGI is not responsible for your behavior; you are. It's not PGI's fault that you rage at people for losing; that's your fault for not being able to control your emotions. Nobody has the right to abuse another person.

Shut up you noob! Go back to Hello Kitty World where you belong!

:)

#32 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

One never knows under what conditions or with which handicaps the player you are spectating is playing. I get mad to sometimes but in the end its just a game.

Joystick players shouldb reconsider their peripheral choice though ;-)

#33 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 August 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

:ph34r: If I'm a noob, I have a bridge to sell you that's in Brooklyn. :blink:

#34 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 19 August 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

:blink: If I'm a noob, I have a bridge to sell you that's in Brooklyn. :)

Man that bridge quote is so dated. Get with the times gramps! What we hip kids these day say is "I've got email account for sale that the NSA hasn't seen yet".

#35 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

View Postlockwoodx, on 19 August 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

Man that bridge quote is so dated. Get with the times gramps! What we hip kids these day say is "I've got email account for sale that the NSA hasn't seen yet".

Sometimes the oldies are better. :)

#36 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostBudor, on 19 August 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

One never knows under what conditions or with which handicaps the player you are spectating is playing. I get mad to sometimes but in the end its just a game.

Joystick players shouldb reconsider their peripheral choice though ;-)

Good point and people should note that the majority of army brats from gen X and previous mainly use trackballs which is a whole nother beast when playing these games.

Edited by lockwoodx, 19 August 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#37 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 19 August 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

:blink: If I'm a noob, I have a bridge to sell you that's in Brooklyn. :)

I'll trade you for my ocean-front property in Arizona.

#38 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 August 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

I'll trade you for my ocean-front property in Arizona.

Everyone knows that there isn't any oceans near Arizona. :)

#39 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 19 August 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

Have you TRIED to play Hello Kitty World?!

The flipping catnip is completely OP... the Devs just nerfed stacking mice and the litter box has some of the worst clipping issues I've ever seen in a game.

Don't even get me started on the meow-mix economy nerf... :blink:

Edited by DaZur, 19 August 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#40 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

Ya! You all behave yourselves on the internet or I'm telling mom!!!!

Seriously though, people have a tendency to suck (expecally this "community")

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users