General Discussion On Gameplay Balance

6 replies to this topic

#1 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

All you can do is ask PGI to uplift underperforming weapons and mechs.
It's not up to the players ingame to determine what is and isn't balanced.

Look at games like Dota2, where the majority of balance passes address weaker segments of the game and give them buffs to bring them in line with what was previously considered to be overpowered?

So some of you probably see I support SaveMWO. The general consensus there in terms of balance is that PPC/Gauss are overpowered. So we, in general, want lower range weapons to outperform them.

If it's by lowering the heat threshold on all the mechs, by increasing the internal health with a bias and armor health to result in longer brawls for new players instead of getting insta-gibbed, and/or by soft nerfs to PPC speed and hard buffs to pulse weapons, then we're all for it.

The end goal is the desire for a game that has depth to it, so that one strategy (teaming up with long range weapons) comes with drawbacks by enabling closer range weapons to be better than those hitting at 660+ meters, inside of 270 meters.

tl;dr :
Game needs more depth in its current incarnation, that's all. We've discussed how to do it for years now, but we're unable to change the game's rules. Only PGI can do that. How to get PGI to do that? I don't know. Do you?

#2 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostErata, on 19 August 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

Only PGI can do that. How to get PGI to do that? I don't know. Do you?

I've been offering sound advice and cheap sexual favors for months now to no avail. Time to kick back and watch the show.

#3 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 19 August 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

I've been offering sound advice and cheap sexual favors for months now to no avail. Time to kick back and watch the show.

I think it's because of the cheap sexual favors... no one likes gigalos... ;)

#4 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 19 August 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

I think it's because of the cheap sexual favors... no one likes gigalos... ;)

No wonder. You're killing us here Bill!

Edited by ThomasMarik, 19 August 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#5 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

no its kill any useful wep because the under par weps are working as intended. lets not forgot the overly complex ghost like system.

#6 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

View Postkeith, on 19 August 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

no its kill any useful wep because the under par weps are working as intended. lets not forgot the overly complex ghost like system.

What's considered useful, and what's considered sub-par?

(One of the main ideas behind the weapon balance is making sure there is a point to having armor.. if all the weapons are "useful" and can tear through assault armor in seconds- what's the point of any armor at all?)

#7 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

You don't balance the game by buffing middling weapons and nerfing apex weapons... That's not balancing, that's nothing but normalizing damage... essentially watering down the weapon systems. If that's the case we should just dump all the weapons and issue rubberbands and nerf guns.

Balance is created by issuing soft nerfs to create niche carve outs for various weapons... A job for every tool and a tool for every job.

Right now the ranged apex weapons cycle times are too similar to the middling weapons which leads to the present meta of "Why take a middling weapon when I can take front loaded ranged apex weapons and suffer no repercussions"...

The ranged apex weapons (PPC & Gauss) cycle time needs to be increased markedly... Enough to render them useless inside brawl range. This would by default encourage / reinvigorate the usage of middling weapons, reviatize brawling and brawling configurations and bring Mediums back to their jack-of-all status.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users