Locked At 60Fps... No Vsync Enabled Anywhere...

14 replies to this topic

#1 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

System specs
Core i7 3770k @ 4.8ghz
16gb Corsair ddr3
2x HiS radeon 7850 Boost cards in crossfire
2x 240gb ssd's
Futuremark screenshot below

Posted Image

I cannot for the life of me break 60fps. I've confirmed vsync is off in mwo, it's off in the amd stuff. No other program is affected by the 60fps cap, but MWO sits right at 60-62fps on ultra. Drop resolution, turn down detail, still 60-62fps. Different monitor, same thing. Any thoughts? Tested with far cry 3 and a bunch of other games that came with the video cards and it's cranking out huge FPS in other games... any input is welcomed - I was away from PC gaming for many years until MWO came out but I work in IT so I'm extremely savvy. I checked to make sure nothing's clocking down due to temperature, there's adequate power under full load, cpu temp never crosses 66c even after hours of prime95 (corsair h110 cooler). I have removed/cleaned the ATI drivers off the system, then I reloaded the OS - no change. Help? Thoughts? I installed sweetfx and the ultra extreme high config files - game looked great.. still 60-62 fps :grrrrrr:

#2 Bitslizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Just a double check, make sure the game is not in Full screen WINDOW mode or window mode, must be in normal full screen mode,

and if not already done force V-sync off in catalyst control panel and if your monitor accept a refresh rate faster than 60hz set it to the max refresh rate your monitor will accept

#3 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reminder :D

I alt+entered it a few times. I saw on a few twitch streams that the FPS would jump when switching from windowed to full screen, and that it was also affected by the HUD being turned on/off - I did both and it made no difference. Catalyst has vsync forced off... argh! It's just MWO! :)

I know it's not crossfire optimized, but dropping rez to the lowest it'll go with everything turned off/low still locked it at 60fps.

#4 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

If I remember right there was a variable you could add to your user.cfg that would limit FPS. I do remember a discussion on this earlier (probably at/over a year ago).

I beleive the line was
sys_MaxFPS = (what you want as max)

I found this in an old post about modded user.cfg's that were needed at the time for low end systems
I have no idea if this will fix your problem or not.

Edit:

from Tweak Guide Crysis3
Spoiler

Edit:

Tested it will limit (set it to 40 fps on myself and it worked) unknown if it will remove completely, not sure if I would want to do that with the way the mechlab spikes the gpu.

Edited by StainlessSR, 20 August 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#5 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

Are you using HDMI cable? I am and am pretty much stuck at 60 Frames with any game. I am running 2 GTX 670's in SLI mode, total of 8 gigs of video memory between the 2 cards. Everyone tells me to run DVI if I want better frames.

#6 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostWoopass, on 20 August 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Are you using HDMI cable? I am and am pretty much stuck at 60 Frames with any game. I am running 2 GTX 670's in SLI mode, total of 8 gigs of video memory between the 2 cards. Everyone tells me to run DVI if I want better frames.

With Vsync off, it shouldn't matter... but good idea! I'll try with a DVI cable when I get home - have a box of 'em somewhere. HDMi has been the constant between all the displays I tried (even multiple hdmi cables) but didn't try DVI. Thanks - will try and post back here.

#7 The Gunman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationLow Orbit

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

Are you playing in "Full Screen", "Full Window" or "Windowed" mode?

#8 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostThe Gunman, on 20 August 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Are you playing in "Full Screen", "Full Window" or "Windowed" mode?

full screen :P

#9 rdmx

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

The game limits itself to your refresh rate. I'm running a 120hz monitor, and the game will cap out at 120fps. When I run at a 60hz refresh rate, it limits itself to 60fps. Not sure if there's anyway to force it unfortunately.

#10 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postrdmx, on 20 August 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

The game limits itself to your refresh rate. I'm running a 120hz monitor, and the game will cap out at 120fps. When I run at a 60hz refresh rate, it limits itself to 60fps. Not sure if there's anyway to force it unfortunately.

yeah - turning off vsync is supposed to disable that, at the expense of tearing. I tried connecting it to a 240hz display and it made no difference :shrug: still working on it

#11 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

what sort of display you are using?

so far only Dual Link DVI and Display port supports beyond 60Hz

HDMI is still stuck at 60Hz

#12 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

i'm aware the hdmi port can't actually push in excess of 60fps, but with vysnc off it should be able to crank much more fps, while still only displaying 60. Vsync is only there to prevent tearing by fixing the framerate at 60fps, but it also causes input lag. I'm trying to get rid of some nasty input lag.

#13 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've resolved this issue - it was due to having a second monitor connected. With the second display connected to either the same radeon card or the onboard intel video, it dropped my FPS to exactly 60. Disconnect the second screen mid-game, it immediately jumped to 120+. Strange.

#14 frag85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 28 August 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I've resolved this issue - it was due to having a second monitor connected. With the second display connected to either the same radeon card or the onboard intel video, it dropped my FPS to exactly 60. Disconnect the second screen mid-game, it immediately jumped to 120+. Strange.

I just changed from Nvidia to ATI and am getting this issue now. It did not do this when I was using my nvidia cards. Playing in Surround/Eyefinity with another monitor on my onboard.

Woopass- You do know that video cards do not combine in total ram right? 2-4GB cards is still only 4GB of vmem. This game doesn't even come close to that anyways. Also, I get the same frame rates using VGA, DVI, HDMI or miniDP. If anything it probably has to do with converting the signal to HDMI.

#15 Hurz

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

I have an nvidia as well and faced the same problem. disconnecting the 2nd monitor did result in a fps count that (sometimes) goes over 60. So this is not limited to ati cards only.

What i still have is a low fps rate at all, or a lower rate as i expect it. I have the following specs:

i7 950 (Bloomfield)
760 GTX
12 GB RAM
Win7 and MWO on my SSD
drivers are up to date
Game in fullscreen vsync off (global in nvidia settings), high settings

When i run the game on high settings i still get fps below 40, sometimes even around 30. Good enough but i see streamers that have 120+ fps. My 4 CPU cores are at 20% to 30% an there is enough RAM left, so there should be room for more ... where do i miss something?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users