77 replies to this topic

#1 James The Fox Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm going to give those that think by acting like children is the best way to achieve the results they want a crash course in etiquette. Thank ya Emily Post.

The Principles of Etiquette

Respect

Respecting other people means recognizing their value as human beings, regardless of their background, race, or creed. It's demonstrated in all your day-to-day relations - refraining from demeaning others for their ideas and opinions, refusing to laugh at racist or sexist jokes, putting prejudices aside, and staying open-minded. We show respect not just by what we refrain from doing but also by intentional acts, such as being on time, dressing appropriately, or giving our full attention to the person or people we're with.
Self-respect is just as important as respect for others. A person who respects herself isn't boastful or pushy but is secure in a way that inspries confidence in others. She values herself regardless of her physical attributes or individual talents, understanding that integrity and character are what really matter.
Consideration

The key to consideration is thoughtful behavior. Being thoughtful means thinking about what you can do for those around you and how your actions will affect them. Consideration leads us to help a friend or stranger in need, to bestow a token of appreciation, or to offer praise.
Honesty

Honesty ensures that we act sincerely and with integrity. It's the basis of tact: using empathy to find the positive truth and telling or acting on it, without causing embarrassment or pain.

#2 Nasty McBadman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationPhilly 'Burbs

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Perhaps the mode of communication is suffering the affect of extreme anger in the playerbase. If one looks at the situation from a viewpoint of empathy for the player, they may find that a large portion of the anger is justified.

#3 Further

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Swag: The way you carry yourself,good personal style and good attitude. You got swag if the world thinks you got a high level of class.

We players need more of these attributes

SJ
#S1k

#4 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostNasty McBadman, on 22 August 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Perhaps the mode of communication is suffering the affect of extreme anger in the playerbase. If one looks at the situation from a viewpoint of empathy for the player, they may find that a large portion of the anger is justified.

Yes, I can see that, but it's the mode of expressing their anger that leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the things I've read since 3PV, you definitely wouldn't say that to someone in their own house when you are a stranger without suffering repercussions. Maybe that is what PGI should be doing to people that totally and completely violate the rules of their house and removing those disrespecting people from their house.

#5 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostFurther, on 22 August 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Swag: The way you carry yourself,good personal style and good attitude. You got swag if the world thinks you got a high level of class.

We players need more of these attributes

SJ
#S1k

Isn't that the truth? I'm actually, for the first time, ashamed to be a part of this community due to the over the top antics of spoiled people that have no class.

#6 Rugarou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 429 posts
  • LocationDown da bayou...

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Need to send that to PGI James. Respect works both ways and PGI has not shown respect for the players/ beta testers since open beta started.

#7 Further

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

We in Lance SWAGThousand (#S1k) try to exemplify class and respect towards players and PGI, we understand that it is still in Beta and that PGI is getting paid to do a job that we most likely don't understand to teh fullest.

Just sit tight and trust in PGI to make balance decisions. In my opinion you have to have 3rd person released for the community to better understand how it works and how it can be balanced while being friendly to new users to increase our communities player base.

Edited by Further, 22 August 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#8 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostGeaux Tiger, on 22 August 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Need to send that to PGI James. Respect works both ways and PGI has not shown respect for the players/ beta testers since open beta started.

It needs to be sent to the community first. PGI respects those that give constructive and honest feedback done in a classy manner. Back in closed beta, the developers were very active on the forums because the player base practiced etiquette and respected the developers. Once open beta hit, we had an influx of players that just raged about everything and anything while not adhering to etiquette. Is it any wonder that PGI does not get involved on their own forums after the repeated verbal abuse they've had to endure?

#9 Rugarou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 429 posts
  • LocationDown da bayou...

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

It needs to be sent to the community first. PGI respects those that give constructive and honest feedback done in a classy manner. Back in closed beta, the developers were very active on the forums because the player base practiced etiquette and respected the developers. Once open beta hit, we had an influx of players that just raged about everything and anything while not adhering to etiquette. Is it any wonder that PGI does not get involved on their own forums after the repeated verbal abuse they've had to endure?

Actually no. PGI needs to respect US first. Without us there is no PGI/MWO, not the other way around. PGI doesn't respect its customers then the customers go find other games and dev studios that do respect them. Simple fact.

#10 Karazyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I do try and be polite to everyone on this forum, even though some make me want to reach though the internet and slap them

the anger due to 3pv is NOT justified.

'they liiiiiieeeeeddd to usssss' so? its a beta, they are entitled to add in whatever gameplay features they deem worthy, and in the long run it will attract more people to mwo, im sorry but your alpha neckbeard crying just makes you look utterly pathetic, you seem to forget its a game.

this is the most over emotional forum ive ever been on.

Edited by Derrpy, 22 August 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#11 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostGeaux Tiger, on 22 August 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Actually no. PGI needs to respect US first. Without us there is no PGI/MWO, not the other way around. PGI doesn't respect its customers then the customers go find other games and dev studios that do respect them. Simple fact.

PGI did respect us first, but the community was the first one to disrespect PGI. The community was the one that hurled verbal abuse and threw temper tantrums in PGI's own house (forums) over everything that they didn't like. PGI is under no obligation to respect those that have been disrespectful to them. That is a simple fact.

You want to make a point about some feature then post it in a classy manner, but do not do what I have seen over 3PV with the verbal abuse hurled at PGI.

I would like to point out this part of the first post as a direct counter to you.

Consideration

The key to consideration is thoughtful behavior. Being thoughtful means thinking about what you can do for those around you and how your actions will affect them. Consideration leads us to help a friend or stranger in need, to bestow a token of appreciation, or to offer praise.

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 22 August 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#12 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

How does Miss Manners suggest one responds to being lied to? Repeatedly, in order to get your money.

I honestly don't care 3PV. But I have had to deal with people, both personally and professionally, who are unable to tell the truth. Though the reasons can vary, rarely will a tiger change it's stripes in this regard.

I will have a hard time believing anything they say anymore as I would be a fool if I did. But that is me, some people love being lied to and will defend the lies because the lies are all they really have.

#13 Zultor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostGeaux Tiger, on 22 August 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

PGI did respect the community in fact the problem probably stems from them respecting us too much. They let slip what they were thinking in regards to 3pv before it was solidified. They should have kept quiet until the feature was polished, which unfortunately, is a lesson I'm sure they have learned now. Hope people enjoy the future where PGI doesn't talk openly and freely anymore.

A big distinction needs to be made between making a mistake and being disrespectful. It was the community who started throwing around the term "liar", "thieves", "snakes", etc. Not PGI. Heck they even apologized about how it was handled and admitted to doing it poorly. I haven't seen any players do the same.

#14 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

Ah etiquette, such an elusive beast. You get stars for this post James.

#15 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostScreech, on 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

How does Miss Manners suggest one responds to being lied to? Repeatedly, in order to get your money.

I honestly don't care 3PV. But I have had to deal with people, both personally and professionally, who are unable to tell the truth. Though the reasons can vary, rarely will a tiger change it's stripes in this regard.

I will have a hard time believing anything they say anymore as I would be a fool if I did. But that is me, some people love being lied to and will defend the lies because the lies are all they really have.

I would direct your attention to the Terms of Use that you agreed to that stipulates that PGI and IGP can withhold and alter things in the beta test at their discretion under Section 12 Subsection 4 & 5.

4. notwithstanding any Payment, you hereby acknowledge your understanding of the nature of beta testing, and understand that we do no guarantee that your access to any Beta Test will be uninterrupted, or that the Beta Test will continue to be available for any period of time;

5. we reserve the right to limit access to all or part of any Beta Test at any time, and for any duration of time, including indefinitely, if in our sole discretion, we determine that such limitation is necessary, advisable or expedient to the development or testing of the IGP Offerings which are the subject of the Beta Test;

They didn't lie to you. They told you upfront that aspects of the beta test would be withheld from you and you agreed to it.

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 22 August 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#16 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I dont see what this has to do with gameplay or balance?

#17 Pendraco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 469 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Are we in PGI's House? Or is PGI in the House we built? Either way Etiquette is a 2-way street. Your Emily Post would probably agree.

http://www.emilypost...iness-etiquette

Civility.

Relationship-building.

Customer Service.

Edited by Pendraco, 22 August 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#18 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 22 August 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yes, I can see that, but it's the mode of expressing their anger that leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the things I've read since 3PV, you definitely wouldn't say that to someone in their own house when you are a stranger without suffering repercussions. Maybe that is what PGI should be doing to people that totally and completely violate the rules of their house and removing those disrespecting people from their house.

Everything I have stated I would be perfectly OK with stating in, say, a meeting with my associates and/or managers at work.

And yes, that has gotten me fired before, but I was RIGHT, dammit! :D

#19 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostPendraco, on 22 August 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

Are we in PGI's House? Or is PGI in the House we built? Either way Etiquette is a 2-way street. Your Emily Post would probably agree.

http://www.emilypost...iness-etiquette

Civility.

Relationship-building.

Customer Service.

This website was put up and the forums made before the founders, so this is PGI's house. You try any of the antics at a normal store and you'd be arrested. Very telling don't you think?

Let's see has PGI been civil? Yes they have.

Have they been working on building relationships? Why yes they have.

What about Customer Service? Wow they have been providing customer service.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Honesty

Ironically, you are advocating the importance of honesty, after PGI lied to us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users