For Crying Out Loud, Nerf The Centurion.

80 replies to this topic

#1 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

Every single ****ing game I see these scrubs running around, cored to the max, no arms and they STILL keep on going.

I just got smashed as a Highlander by a centurion. Must have landed about 15 UAC5 shots and at least 4-6 burst of ERLL when he was cored and he still didnt go down.

Most OP mech in the game by a coutry mile.

#2 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

QQ did your virtual mech get pew pewed by another virtual mech QQ?

#3 MizarPanzer

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 23 August 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Every single ****ing game I see these scrubs running around, cored to the max, no arms and they STILL keep on going.

Shoot the legs?

#4 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

it's a known issue that cents don't reg ****, but you haven't seen it all till you try SRMs on em.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

Assault mech pilots can tolerate being killed by heavy mechs, from time to time. Granted, they still think the assault mech should win, but accidents do happen. If assault mech pilots get killed by a medium mech, there's definitely something wrong. That's more than any normal man can take.

Now, if a light mech destroy an assault mech, it's a complete outrage and one can expect a 200 page thread where everyone cries on each other's shoulders about the tyranny of light mech packs.

Centurion isn't OP. It just seems OP because all other medium mechs are so bad by comparison. When teams of medium mechs dominate the same way as teams of assault mechs, give me a call.

#6 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

A simple and quick fix - reduce damage reduction on transfer to 25%.

Centurions are still badly scaled mechs, with no damage reduction they would be sitting ducks like they used to be. But it's not right to keep a mech "balanced" by exploiting a badly designed game mechanic.

edit: To people not getting "it":

A Centurion is durable only because his arm stumps and broken torsos give 50% damage reduction on hit. If you shoot off the arm, a large arm stump remains in place and every shot through that location does only 50% to its side torso.

When the sides torso goes off, every shot going through the massive arm stump does only 25% damage to CT, because it is transfered twice. And if it lands directly on the broken side torso, it is still reduced by 50%.

Every mech in the game does the same thing but Centurion is the only one with ruined parts large enough to use them as effective shields.

It's not really a bug. It's just dumb design, an unintended feature boosting one medium mech above others.

Edited by Kitane, 23 August 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#7 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

Of course this hit box / damage transfer issue is problematic, but of course if this was fixed and nothing substantive was done to make Mediums worthwhile, the end result would just be that you would have fought an Heavy or Assault in the same situation.

Basically, the situation is so screwed that I don't know where it would be better to start...

#8 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

The Centurion has almost perfect hitboxes to survive a hell of a beating: Large arm debris left over when an arm is shot off, big side torsos that protect a skinny little center torso. If you're not careful with your aim, you WILL hit the arm debris (transferring only 25% of your damage to CT) or side torso (transferring only 50% of your damage to the CT).

The easiest way to kill one is to go for the legs, as MizarPanzer pointed out; it'll require a hell of a lot less damage than to try to go for a CT kill.

And before anyone claims otherwise: The damage transfer mechanic is the same for all 'mechs (hello Spider, the Centurion of lights).

#9 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

Seriously? Centurion is OP? I mean maybe if this was like 6 months ago and SRMs were still way overpowered I might agree. But Centurions are pretty tame nowadays compared to how they used to be.

#10 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

Centurions are an example of great 'mech design. Frankly, I'd love it if other 'mechs had similar unique niches. The Centurion is one of the few 'mechs which absolutely demands a Standard engine.

And seriously, you're complaining about their withering 2 ML package if you've taken out their side torsos?

The Centurion's gigantic arm gets blown off easily, it's body is huge, the fact that it can be a "zombie" is its only redeeming feature.

#11 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

I have been running Centurions a lot lately (never ran them for a long while, was mastering out other models). I have found them to be extremely durable and effective if you use a standard engine, but not OP. There are numerous times I've been frustratingly cored out after 30 seconds or so of combat. Other times I am nigh invulnerable. I survived a match when it said I was at 15% health. You can imagine what remained of the mech, but I got the final kill nonetheless dragging my right leg behind me. Love those CT hardpoints! No, the Centurion is better than other mediums overall IMO, but not OP.

#12 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

LEGS.

END
OF.

#13 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostMr Blonde, on 23 August 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

I survived a match when it said I was at 15% health.

I recently spectated one of my team-mates fighting against a 7% Centurion after said Centurion had killed me while having a few percentage points more health :)

They're seriously durable, but once the right arm/left torso is gone, they're only armed with 2xML (or in some cases a single LL), which isn't very threatening - although I have gotten quite a number of kills in my Centurions with both arms and side torsos blown off.

#14 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:37 AM

Repeat after me.

I, ______, will leg all centurions and not complain if I die because I chose to shoot through it's broken arm and torso.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

Actually legging is a great way to stop any medium mech from getting away. I leg hunchbacks and blackjacks too. A legged medium is so dead its not even funny (ok it kindve is lol).

#16 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

IMO they should buff all Mediums to the Centurion level.

#17 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 August 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Assault mech pilots can tolerate being killed by heavy mechs, from time to time. Granted, they still think the assault mech should win, but accidents do happen. If assault mech pilots get killed by a medium mech, there's definitely something wrong. That's more than any normal man can take.

Now, if a light mech destroy an assault mech, it's a complete outrage and one can expect a 200 page thread where everyone cries on each other's shoulders about the tyranny of light mech packs.

Centurion isn't OP. It just seems OP because all other medium mechs are so bad by comparison. When teams of medium mechs dominate the same way as teams of assault mechs, give me a call.

Did that two weeks ago now. Team of 4 2 Cents, a Hunchback and an Ilya. We took an 0-4 deficit vs assaults of all stripes and WON.

#18 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

LOL!

Another An assault mech should never sucumb to a medium or light whail of indignation. :)

Your account of the engagement leaves out some pertinent details... Like what state of damage were you? Was he out maneuvering you and plinking away with his 2xMlas at your unarmoured back? Poking at your exposed XL? Sticking it to you when you shut-down from overheating?

#19 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

...wait wait wait.

..post-SRM nerf Centurion is the most OP mech in the game?

Says the Highlander pilot?!

I have officially heard it all...

--billyM

Edited by BillyM, 23 August 2013 - 05:19 AM.

#20 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostBillyM, on 23 August 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

...wait wait wait.

..post-SRM nerf Centurion is the most OP mech in the game?

Like the country mile the OP alludes to, I do believe it's a bit of an exaggeration.

The Cent is hard to kill, yes, and it's a threat until it's actually dead, yes, but once the right arm and left torso is gone (which usually happens rather fast), it's got less firepower than a MG Spider.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users