For Crying Out Loud, Nerf The Centurion.

80 replies to this topic

#21 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

If you insist on not shooting the legs, then shoot the crotch, full damage to CT for crotch shots.

#22 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Nerf it, what are you crazy? You already can't even reliably use a projectile on the centurion because its going to get shot off extremely soon since that arm is so freakin huge (I know this because I do this all the time when I face a centurion with ballistics). All it really has going for it then is its ability to survive.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 23 August 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#23 Blackadder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

Mediums in general are in a horrible place at the moment, and you want to make the best chassis in the class into junk. Lets just remove them from the game all together, it would be easier, that way we could all just run around in jagermechs phracts, highlanders and stalkers.

You were killed by a pilot that has more mobility, and because you did not bother to aim at the mechs weak points, lifes tough. Learn to play is the phrase most people would use. Personally i wish more mechs were like centurions and had individual quirks, it would make piloting different chassis far more enjoyable.

#24 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

All the medium mechs have an upside, and a downside to them, in my opinion.

Centurion= durability, even with an XL. Downside? Your primary weapon can be shot off so easily that a Steiner could do it.

Hunchback= Mount many small weapons, but has the capacity to mount a standard engine. Downside, you can shoot off the "hump" and declaw him pretty easily.

Trebuchet= Ah... well.... I'm sure they don't suck much. Can't speak for the strong points.

Blackjack= Ability to mount a heavy ballistic (usually) and have JumpJets. Downside, you really should mount an XL for maximum usability.

I don't believe that they should tweak them much, or they'd lose their unique-ness.

Edited by DegeneratePervert, 23 August 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#25 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

i shouldn´t be able to kill a Highlander one on one but i did ... in my SPIDAHHH!

and for the records ... i also managed 6 kills in my Wang last night, the last 2 while standing on one leg while my victims still tried to shoot my ct ... those kids today :)

but it was in pug hell so it doesn´t count.

Edited by LordDante, 23 August 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#26 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostDeadlyNerd, on 23 August 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

it's a known issue that cents don't reg ****, but you haven't seen it all till you try SRMs on em.

The hits do register. It's just this:

http://cloud-2.steam...DB809488AD37D7/

The entire red area is the Left and Right Torso and the Center Torso. The arm stumps are HUGE. Unless you can hit the CT reliably, anything hitting the side torsos gets damage transfer to those arm stumps. The picture doesn't lie.

#27 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 23 August 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Every single ****ing game I see these scrubs running around, cored to the max, no arms and they STILL keep on going.

I just got smashed as a Highlander by a centurion. Must have landed about 15 UAC5 shots and at least 4-6 burst of ERLL when he was cored and he still didnt go down.

Most OP mech in the game by a coutry mile.

Given that you're "151st Light Horse Regiment", I have a question for you: How do you stop a cavalry charge of horsemen?

View PostLordDante, on 23 August 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

i shouldn´t be able to kill a Highlander one on one but i did ... in my SPIDAHHH!

and for the records ... i also managed 6 kills in my Wang last night, the last 2 while standing on one leg while my victims still tried to shoot my ct ... those kids today :)

but it was in pug hell so it doesn´t count.

I think you meant "PUG heaven" given that you seem to have enjoyed yourself. Of course, if you were speaking from your victims' POV ... :ph34r:

Edited by Mystere, 23 August 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#28 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 23 August 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Every single ****ing game I see these scrubs running around, cored to the max, no arms and they STILL keep on going.

I just got smashed as a Highlander by a centurion. Must have landed about 15 UAC5 shots and at least 4-6 burst of ERLL when he was cored and he still didnt go down.

Most OP mech in the game by a coutry mile.

No offense intended by you died to a Centurion, not because of the Cent's design flaws (they are flawed but that doesn't really matter), but because you failed to compensate for your target's strengths. A knowledgable pilot would have taken the legs out instead of trying to burn through multiple torsos and thus being affected by the damage transference reduction.

#29 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

Scan OP's name... run "OP script":

if(target == "Impossible to kill")
spam("Hey guys, *insert mech's name that killed you* is OP. Please nerf it. I don't know how to shoot and/or kill it. /whine");
else (target == "Impossible to use")
spam("Hey guys, *insert mech's name that you have a hard time driving* sucks. Please buff it. I don't know how to build a good design to make it useful. /whine");

That's pretty much the OP's gripe posts in a nutshell.

Edited by Deathlike, 23 August 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#30 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostKitane, on 23 August 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

A simple and quick fix - reduce damage reduction on transfer to 25%.

Centurions are still badly scaled mechs, with no damage reduction they would be sitting ducks like they used to be. But it's not right to keep a mech "balanced" by exploiting a badly designed game mechanic.

edit: To people not getting "it":

A Centurion is durable only because his arm stumps and broken torsos give 50% damage reduction on hit. If you shoot off the arm, a large arm stump remains in place and every shot through that location does only 50% to its side torso.

When the sides torso goes off, every shot going through the massive arm stump does only 25% damage to CT, because it is transfered twice. And if it lands directly on the broken side torso, it is still reduced by 50%.

Every mech in the game does the same thing but Centurion is the only one with ruined parts large enough to use them as effective shields.

It's not really a bug. It's just dumb design, an unintended feature boosting one medium mech above others.

While I would say you are right (and I disagree with Alistair Winter that it's just QQ but actually bad design or worse - broken bugged hitboxes) I still can't stop to ask: Why isn't it working on a Stalker like that?

Because stalkers have kind of the opposite bug, as soon as a side torso is off, the thing is dead. Its like they just seize to exist and transfer full 100% even if you shoot through the hitbox where their arms should be.

So in other words: Either the centurion is bugged because it keeps its arms hitboxes, although they should vanish completely when the side torso is off - OR the Stalker is bugged because it loses his arm hitboxes completely as soon as the side torso is gone.

So no matter how you look at it, something is wrong or bugged.

Edited by TexAss, 23 August 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#31 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

If the normal slow Centurion generates this level of QQ then my lagshielded CN9-D zombie must make ppl ragequit.

#32 Donnie Silveray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

I believe the durability of the Centurion is it's primary redeeming feature above all else, really. Compared to the potential firepower of a Hunchback and the speed of a Trebuchet, the Centurion fits nicely as a tank of the medium class.

In my YLW I have developed various tactics for taking advantage of my durability if/when my arm is blown off. I'd often use my mech as a flesh shield and an irritant on enemies while my allies attack him. It has worked on so many occations that I dare say zombie hugging in a cent is very effective in team battles. Enemies are too distracted by the 'easy kill' snuggling their torsos than the Assaults raining fire on them. Of course, the 2mls can build up over time :)

#33 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostDonnie Silveray, on 23 August 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I believe the durability of the Centurion is it's primary redeeming feature above all else, really. Compared to the potential firepower of a Hunchback and the speed of a Trebuchet, the Centurion fits nicely as a tank of the medium class.

In my YLW I have developed various tactics for taking advantage of my durability if/when my arm is blown off. I'd often use my mech as a flesh shield and an irritant on enemies while my allies attack him. It has worked on so many occations that I dare say zombie hugging in a cent is very effective in team battles. Enemies are too distracted by the 'easy kill' snuggling their torsos than the Assaults raining fire on them. Of course, the 2mls can build up over time :)

But it only works because it is a bug.

You are basing your tactic on false assumptions.

#34 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

A Centurion beat you in a fight, so they must be OP?

#35 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

So now Centurions are OP and must be nerfed?

At least you are consistent...

"I'LL BE BACK IN A FEW MONTHS WHEN THEY NERF LRM'S.":
http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 21 June 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

OP is OP.

*quits game*

"LIGHTS ARE DESTROYING THIS GAME.":
http://mwomercs.com/...ying-this-game/

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 28 April 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

It's the primary reason i want to punch my screen nearly every time i play.

I hate lights. ECM, excessive speed, and in the right setup, a good array of weapons.

Remember that youtube video of dozens of tiny bees swarming all over those huge *** killer hornet wasps? That's basically what this game is every single time.

A classic example was just now on frozen city. Playing a jager and some commando scrub just ran round the back of me at 135kph and popped my back armour. He can run quicker than i can turn, and because of the buildings i got stuck. Dead in 20 seconds.

Matchmaking, screw you. Give me the option of playing against only heavies or assaults please.

inb4 lrn2play, lightsrox, ujustsuxlolz

#36 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Everybody just shoots the Centurion's (right) gun arm off, it's only 32 armor points max. Why didn't you? Basically you are asking to nerf a medium mech that has just a few small weapon slots and a gun arm. Centurion is a good mech, but hardly OP, Highlander.

#37 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostTexAss, on 23 August 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

But it only works because it is a bug.

It's not a bug; the devs have stated the damage transfer mechanic is working the way they want it to work.

It works the same way on every 'mech, the only difference is in the size of the arm debris, the side torsos, and the centre torso of different 'mechs.

Oh, and people's ability to actually hit the CT, of course, instead of the arm debris and side torso. I suspect this is the most OP part of the Centurion; people's (in)ability to aim.

Again, to finish a Cent off quickly just leg it.

#38 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

They're just much easier to kill via the legs. I usually peel off the right arm (especially on wang!) then the legs, unless I'm fighting at distance - then it's straight to legs.

#39 Donnie Silveray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

View Poststjobe, on 23 August 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

It's not a bug; the devs have stated the damage transfer mechanic is working the way they want it to work.

It works the same way on every 'mech, the only difference is in the size of the arm debris, the side torsos, and the centre torso of different 'mechs.

Oh, and people's ability to actually hit the CT, of course, instead of the arm debris and side torso. I suspect this is the most OP part of the Centurion; people's (in)ability to aim.

Again, to finish a Cent off quickly just leg it.

^^

More mechs should generally be designed somewhat with the centurion's lesson in mind, size aside.

Design follows functon.

A Centurion is a durable mech, or at least meant to be one, not a glass cannon or a speed junkie and thus its hitboxes and proportions are made to emphasize that. Like compare the Raven to something like the commando. The Raven has an extremely small forward profile, it can likely be poking its head over a hill and tagging you without you knowing while a Commando or Spider will have to expose their whole torso to get a tag out. The Raven's design compliments its role in the field.

#40 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:03 AM

Let's not forget these golden nuggets:

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 28 April 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

Sorry, what the hell is ELO?

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 30 April 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

Ban lights.

This is the only balance the game needs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users