'mech Bay Loading Time?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Boyinleaves

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hey guys, couldn't find an answer to this with a quick search, nor was I sure where to post this but here's a question for y'all:

I have 33 'Mechs, and I have noticed recently that the load time for my client when I log in or after I finish a game is getting longer and longer, especially compared to my friends who only have a couple of 'Mechs. I'm guessing that the reason is a longer load time from the database, but possibly there could be another reason?

Does anyone else have this issue, is that the cause, and is there anything I can do about it? The time it takes to load after a match is probably over 30 seconds now. It's not a major drama, but I'm holding off buying anything more as it is getting irritating.

Thanks.

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

Yeah I seem to be getting longer loading times myself though I only have 18 mechs.

It might be some backend stuff that has to do with U.I. 2.0 though since we should be seeing that interface here in a couple weeks.

#3 Boyinleaves

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 26 August 2013 - 02:41 AM, said:

Yeah I seem to be getting longer loading times myself though I only have 18 mechs.

It might be some backend stuff that has to do with U.I. 2.0 though since we should be seeing that interface here in a couple weeks.

I admire your optimism sir, and thanks for the response. Pretty sure it is to do with more 'Mechs. Just started a new account and it loads in a flash.

#4 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:36 AM

Yeah it is bcuz of mechs.I have 74 mechs and friends with less mechs I play with are rdy for next match when I am not even loaded into mechbay

#5 Boyinleaves

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 26 August 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

Yeah it is bcuz of mechs.I have 74 mechs and friends with less mechs I play with are rdy for next match when I am not even loaded into mechbay

Cheers, Judge! Thanks for the confirmation.

#6 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

I also have the issue. It has annoyed me for a while, and I guess now I know why.

Thanks for posting this.

#7 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hope UI 2.0 solves this.

#8 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostDarkDevilDancer, on 26 August 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Hope UI 2.0 solves this.

Alternatively it will triple loading times due to increased complexity and inadequate optimisation. It will probably be a ramsink as well.

#9 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

29 mechs and loadign mechbay takes ages

#10 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

I had reported this issue a month or so ago, as the server verifies every mech you own for legality.

They have since then decreased the load times, but they are still working on it. =)

For reference when I reported the issue I had 88 mechs, I have the same amount of mechs but the load time has decreased by half for me.

Give them time. =)

#11 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ah, that is interesting. 35 mechs here and loading times are slooooow.

Hope they get it sorted.

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Huh: I thought it was a SSD vs. HDD issue …

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

The issue is primarily that after the initial download of the data, it is actually very inefficient in attempting to save mech configs and whatnot when you have more mechs in your mechbays.

One of ways to optimize this is to solely update the mech config in question and only report back updates to the cfg. Considering that the mechbay designs limit you from jumping around the mechbay areas (from cfg to modules and then to camo etc), it should not be trying to "update everything" as that is not necessary.

Also, the "persistence" involved with updating the data is usually minimal. It is rare that multiple mechs get locked in a match but usually a queue is implemented to resolve those states and process them as needed.

The thing is, MWO keeps updating stuff (perhaps as minimal as possible), but then requires another "full redownload" of every freaking mech you have instead of a simple update to what you were working on. That is may what unfortunately causes the slow access.

It can be orders of magnitudes worse if the database for your entire profile is not optimized. Database access can be a premium depending on how the database is optimized (when optimized poorly, it'll be troublesome and problematic).

I hope this helps explains this phenomenon.

#14 Boyinleaves

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Deathlike, appreciate the overview. I've gone through the process of optimizing a database for a parts website that I used to run, and it wasn't terribly fun. I've no doubt that reducing the effects of this phenomenon will take a while.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users