Holding A Entrance/exit, Basic How To.

7 replies to this topic

#1 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

1 way to hold a entrance.

--your teams forces: brawlers, tanks, anything with direct fire.

how this works: Enemy is clustered together and most likely in each others firing line. This will reduce the effectiveness of their firepower. Front line enemy is also a stationary target, easy to single out.
your team will not be in each others firing line and also be moving targets that will move in and out of cover. chances of you being singled out is far less likely due to movement, interchanging places with mechs and cover.

weakness:
if the enemy has arrived at the entrance before your team can assemble, A strong collective push with front line tanks can unorganize your team.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by King Arthur IV, 30 September 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#2 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

2. Alternatively your team can scatter around the entrance, preferably with the most heavily armored towards the middle.
As you can clearly see the enemy is in each others firing lines.

Posted Image

update:
how not to hold a choke point.

As you can clearly see, I can not shoot past my team.
Posted Image

Edited by King Arthur IV, 10 November 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#3 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

LOL... I was in the Terra Therma match this morning that prompted this update :P

#4 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Also, note that with both direct fire or indirect fire, if the enemy is bunched up in the entrance with ECM, it doesn't matter so much whether you have a target lock. For direct fire, simply fire into the entrance and for lrms always remember that you can dumb fire those bad boys.

#5 Macbrea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Tera Therma is extremely bad for play style of timid players. What happens is the entire force rushes up to the entrance then does this back and forth dance. It only really causes them to lose the front mechs to random incoming fire.

The best method I have found on Tera Therma if you're going to run to the center and brawl it out is to not stop at all at the entrance. Simply keep moving at full speed and go in to the left or right. If you arrive there fast enough, you can continue your assault around the circle and end up at the right or left side of the other sides entrance. At this point, you control the opening.

If their timid players do the back and forth shuffle at that point, you will pick them off. If they charge in one at a time, they will be destroyed pretty easily. The only response to mechs on both sides of that entrance is a full out rush. Any other will get your team whittled down quickly.

Edited by Macbrea, 30 September 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#6 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Spoiler

I can not stress how crucial this point is. A good LRM boat will find a way to get their own line of sight or just be able to dumb fire into the enemy.

Spoiler

Another very good point. Although is is hotter in the center, some forget that the heat is applied across the board for enemy and friendly alike.
Acquiring the thunder dome allows your team to better position themselves, in a manner that will allow them to fire freely upon the enemy instead of into each others backs.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 30 September 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#7 Tyrnea Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Another couple of tactics based off the OP. (I am assuming your a average pug, and not a crazy collection of 6 lights and 4 fast mediums and 2 atlai - which has happened to me more than once in Terra Therma)

Your the slow team.

You know the team that took 15 seconds to get going.

The team that followed the lead mech the long way around that first hill on the march to the volcano.

And now not only are the other team in the sweet spot spread out around the interior of the volcano, but the idiots your with seem interested in standing in the doorway to see just how many shots to the gut their mechs can take before dying.

Now that you are the silver medalist team in the sprint to center, I highly recommend one of 2 techniques to win, or at least be competitive and avoid the 12 - 2 or 12 - 0 pug stomp.

Option #1: Stop on the slope looking towards the entrance to the volcano. Spread-out so you each have open-ish fields of fire to the doorway. If you can get say 1 or 2 mechs (each flank) to keep lookout to the 2 flanks to avoid being blindsided, all the better. Stay down low enough that those inside the volcano area must come out to the doorway to lookout and try and see you. Once one or more of them highlight themselves in that doorway, fire for effect. Once you have softened up or killed 2 or 3 of them, (or after a few back and forth volleys, followed by nothing - they have stopped coming) coordinate a rush into the center. EVERYBODY MOVES INTO CENTER. once your in there, secure and find which doorway they left by/kill the targets in the volcano. The drawback to this is it requires patience in your team (yes I know its like herding cats) and gives the opposing team enough time to get a guy to your base.

IF the base cap starts before you rush the center, you as a group withdraw back to base and kill the cappers (basically you just turned into a base defense mission - only press if your down in points once you deal with the base cap attempt, if your leading, fortify the base and wait, they have no choice but to press the fight or they lose)

IF the cap starts after you have made the push into center, complete that, either hold center with heavies/assaults and send the fast mechs of your team to return to base, or plan as a team to return to base. A alterative depending on team conditions/match score is to send the fasts back alone, while the heavies/assaults push the other team hard toward their base, killing any opposition they meet.

Option #2: 4 of your slowest/heaviest mechs stay to hold the doorway (in the manner described in option 1 on the slopes) while the rest of the team moves quickly to flank their way to another doorway. Once in position a simple chat command of attack/push tell both groups to push into center, splitting the interior defenders to which way to shoot (most of the time I see the interior defenders coordination breakdown significantly - and its down to who has the best heat thresholds/accuracy), or you encounter the red team on the sides of the volcano as you flank and press the battle there. When that happens you generally are catching 1 to 3 soloers and your 5 to 8 mechs should be able to handle them. The battle/tactics off of option 2 will evolve organically from that point, you can either continue on to the doorway, or keep flanking around the volcano picking off groups/single mechs as they are encountered. Or you can go push toward their base, ect.

Point is in both options you will have significantly better chances of either winning, or at least being in a good fight, rather than standing in a doorway while your picked off one by one as your stomped.

#8 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

updated with in game screen pic.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users