1105 replies to this topic

#81 A big brave boulder of meat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationOakdale, Minnesota

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

I don't know...I'm just feeling bad now after reading that and I feel like giving up now. I think I'm really wasting my time checking these forums because every time I'm told when to expect something, (Example: CW details in August similar to the UI 2.0 post)
that something never happens and we are told we need to wait or told something completely different than what we expected.

Bummer....

Edit*

Wanted to add I think it would be interesting for the developers to make a Developers video update. Kinda would like to see their emotions...See if they actually still have any enthusiasm at all. I'm just not feeling it with these responses they've been giving us. You would think they would try and boost out morale a bit more.

Edited by TrollvomiT, 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#82 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thank you. I have been thinking about buying the phoenix mechs nearly every day for some weeks now only holding back because I was not satisfied with some of the lates game and balancing developments.
This post finally made me realise that I am over it and will not regret not buying it.
With all it´s fautls you still have an awesomely facinating game and there are no real alternatives out there but i can not justify spending large amounts of money on a game whose developer asks me to trust him while he is telling me that his communications can not be trusted...

nonetheless you will probably see me in game - without my wallet though

Oh, and marketing is one thing, but calling a feature a great success that is only used by the ones not nowing how to deaktivate it and ocassinally the ones exploiting unintended sideeffects is not very smart, don´t you think?

#83 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostIgorius, on 27 August 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

[/font][/color]

Respectfully sir, having played several dozen matches since the modification to the economy, I'm finding myself exceedingly burned out on the grind. I realize how this decision makes some sense from a business point of view, but as a voice "from the trenches," I'm honestly having a hard time justifying the amount of time it takes for me to accumulate enough C-Bills to purchase a new chassis. Add in the unavoidable customization that each player does upon their chosen ride, and it seems to compound the issue presented even more so. Of course in the case of customization, I can understand the idea that I've got to "work" for all the upgrades I want. Still, I find myself wondering about the new player experience, once they've completed their cadet bonus time. Yes, they'll have enough C-Bills to buy a decent ride and start customizing it, but what about when they decide to buy a second and third variant as they move towards mastery?

I realize the C-Bill economy is set to such a level as to ultimately encourage the purchasing of MC for real currency, but I would also conjecture that this decision may impact long-term replayability for many who play the game and chose to be frugal with their in-game purchases.

I might also add that the later part of your post seems to be encouraging suiciding for those players wishing to grind C-Bills, which for those of us who witnessed such acts in closed beta might seem quite disheartening. The idea that the time I'm giving towards enjoying myself might be ruined by packs of players simply trying to up their C-Bill wallet definitely does not help the hesitation I already feel about my long-term play of the game.

This is a really good point. I've noticed I've been playing a lot less since the new c-bill earning went into effect. Granted, some of that might just be a general waning of interest and waiting for CW to go live, at which time I'll no doubt jump back in, but for now, it's taking so long to grind out funds that I find myself playing a match or two and then going and doing something else.

Maybe it's just me?

#84 Yuma

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

ahm, wasn' this the mechwarrior:online forum? i can't figure out what game this offical guy is talking about.

#85 Denninos

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Great if there are more people playing now splitted queues should be no problem.

Edited by 2NoOB4YoU, 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#86 IceCase88

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 689 posts
  • LocationDenzien of K-Town

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

ROFLMFAO! 3PV is a success? After one week? Player retention has increased and new registration is up? I am sure there were masses of players who would not commit to playing big, stompy robots until 3PV was implemented. Now that there is 3PV the floodgates holding back those players is open and players are flooding in. According to Bryan's statements 3PV is the savior of MWO. All hail 3PV! Does anyone see more than 1 or 2 players using 3PV per team per match? I sure as heck do not. The only positive thing to 3PV is it gives me something to do on the march to find the enemy. I enjoy shooting the drones. It does beg the question... why have a UAV consumable now?

#87 ObsidianSpectre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 27 August 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

This is super disappointing.

TL;DR:
  • Balance - HSR is coming.
  • Charity - We did Sarah's Jenner.
  • Economics - C-Bill nerf is working as intended.
  • Community - We listen and do what we think is best.
  • Policy - Stop making death threats.
  • Launch - It's happening.
It sounds to me like launch is just removing Beta from the game's name, getting panned by reviews, and telling us what to expect if the game makes it another six months. I had a lot of optimism for a long time, but it's dwindling every day.

Please tell us the new UI is going to be in at launch. Or that the new player experience is being fixed. Or something. Tell me this game isn't just waiting to be ripped apart by game critics funneled into the meatgrinder that is the new player experience.

( ._.)

Thanks for the summary, but you're missing what I think is the most important point:

The people who visit these forums are not the target demographic for this game.

Also interesting is that the lesson they took away from the 3PV debacle is that they communicate too much.

Edited by ObsidianSpectre, 27 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#88 EmCeeMendez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I was really happy when disconnect and suicide farmers were cracked down on back in the transition between Closed/Open Beta. Being one or more teammate down tended to lead to a steamroll, and after that pattern became apparent, you had a domino effect after one player suicided. The team would notice, 4 or 5 players would quickly leave because they knew it was going to be a loss, and you were left with 1 or 2 teammates vs 8 enemies.

"If your Mech is destroyed to a roaming band of Jenners early on, you can jump out of that match and into a new one right away – potentially doubling your C-Bills to 1.2 million per hour! This cuts down your time to purchase new Mechs and equipment."

That sounds like official approval to resume suicide farming. The player can now argue, "I wasn't suicide farming PGI! I made a tactical mistake and died early, a Jenner caught me by surprise. I'm just trying to earn 1.2 million C-bills an hour like the average player!"

I hope that is not the case.

#89 Blackfoot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 140 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have to ask, does anyone else that read that feel like a little kid that just got bitched at and has no idea what he did wrong?

I sure do.

The lack of information about any type of CW tells me one thing. Either a.)They have it super secret because they know it sucks and the playerbase will totally quit. Or its because b.) They will keep dangling that CW carrot as long as they can before people realize that it will never be implemented.

So phase 1 is supposed to start 3 weeks from now. All that really means is we can pick a unit and do the same thing we have been doing since the game went live. It will be several months after that before we get to do any actual fighting, and probably several months of PGI trying to fix all of the inevitable bugs that will come with CW. My moneys on Summer next year before we get anything resembling CW thats decent, if ever.

Why even make these updates if you're not going to have any real information in them?

Edited by Blackfoot, 27 August 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#90 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostBlackfoot, on 27 August 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I have to ask, does anyone else that read that feel like a little kid that just got bitched at and has no idea what he did wrong?

I sure do.

The lack of information about any type of CW tells me one thing. Either a.)They have it super secret because they know it sucks and the playerbase will totally quit. Or its because b.) They will keep dangling that CW carrot as long as they can before people realize that it will never be implemented.

So phase 1 is supposed to start 3 weeks from now. All that really means is we can pick a unit and do the same thing we have been doing since the game went live. It will be several months after that before we get to do any actual fighting, and probably several months of PGI trying to fix all of the inevitable bugs that will come with CW. My moneys on Summer next year before we get anything resembling CW thats decent.

Why even make these updates if you're not going to have any real information in them?

Phase 1 was supposed to start at the end of January....

The funny thing is, it probably will... just a year after originally proclaimed.

#91 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

So what's going to be in the launch? It seems like quite the omission.

#92 Ramblin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 27 August 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

September Creative Developer Update

. After releasing 3PV we saw an immediate improvement in our target demographic, with a good bump in new player retention!

[color=#CCCCCC]
[/color]

Im actually quite disappointed to find out, after ive already dumped a couple hundred bucks on this game, that im NOT their target demographic.... I have never spent that much on/for a game. I have never spent half that on a game and then been told I wasnt really the guy they where looking for...

ouch

#93 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

When your monthly Creative Developer Update post includes threats to call the cops, you know things are going great.

#94 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I've just requested a refund of my Overlord Package.

Not another penny from me Bryan.

#95 W A R L O R D

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 122 posts
  • LocationMy Direwolf

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostDemonRaziel, on 27 August 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

But this is also part of the problem and it can be said that PGI holds the franchise hostage, in a sense.

The hardcore fans, that want to keep the franchise alive, have no option, but to grind their teeth and bow to every whim of PGI they dislike. Because if they don't... well... there will be no 'Mech simulator any more for them to play. But if PGI pushes it one step too far, even the most hardcore of fans might decide that the game is now MW/BT in name only and give up on it... And for many people, it already is.

Agreed! But what choice do we have. Of course we can stop giving them money, but I'm having fun playing the game. I think folks are pissed off because there is TOO MUCH tinkering with the 'mechs which is creating a synthetic handicap for better players against those who don't take the time to learn how to pilot a 3-story machine of death. In my opinion they ARE doing their best. They didn't get involved with this franchise because they wanted to lose money and the faith of an ever-vigilant player-base. In the end I paid for the Phoenix Project (Overlord) because I want to keep playing the game. What else am I going to do, play Hawken...

#96 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

You can play everything as close to the chest as you like at this point, until you start to deliver on what this game was marketed as to me, my money is staying in my pocket. I do not want any more promises, you alread lost my confidence, so deliver some real metagame then we can talk again.

#97 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

What I took away.

C Bill nerf is here to stay.

The game is becoming a big success and the feedback from the core forum fans is becoming less important as they become a smaller percentage of the total player base.

With the introduction of coolant, the feedback from the forum made a difference. Consumables were rebalanced to avoid specific advantage for real money purchase.

With 3pv and the C Bill nerf, the developers can ignore forum uproar with impunity.

Whether you feel this is a good or bad thing depends upon your perspective.

Edited by Jabilo, 27 August 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#98 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

[color=#CCCCCC]We released some really big features in 12v12 and 3PV: Both have been a great success and delivered on our goals of adding more action, tactics, and deeper gameplay (12v12), while continuing to make the game appeal to a broader audience of gamers (3PV). After releasing 3PV we saw an immediate improvement in our target demographic, with a good bump in new player retention[/color]

Rose coloured glasses much?

#99 dangerzone

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a F14-Tomcat

Honestly, I'm not even upset since I've read this update. You guys are just looking at text on the screen and not reading context clues.

For example, they mention they've been paying attention to 3PV. You all can claim how people are leaving and how its killing the game...but guess what? You don't have the player registration data and telemetry in front of you, do you? You don't know how many people have joined for a 100% fact do you? So unless you work for PGI or somehow have illegally hacked their database to see the SAME data they are seeing. Shush.

They say how they have learned not to make things sound like promises as they too have realized that the community took it as a guarantee. They also said that they are keeping major additions to the game under wraps until they are happy with what they have.

For those that say they do not listen, check the UI 2.0 threads. When they say that was community lead and how the community helped make it good, they were not lying. PGI DID listen. I recall the community giving suggestions on showing the arm AND torso twist, pitch and yaw on the same little circle diagram (yellow = chest, orange = arm). They did that b/c the community wanted it.

If you all got what you wanted in this game, this game would be ruined.You'd have noobs getting unfair boosts, veterans would want nerfs across the board and more cbills. The game would become a damn arms race like MW4 was and that is EXACTLY what they are trying to prevent. MW4 and MW3 has HUGE issues with mediums and lights being viable. Everyone went for powerful assaults and madcats/timberwolfs. MWO is very different from that and I am glad they did not listen to the community on that...otherwise this would just be a modern F2P MW4. I wouldn't be playing the game right now if it was like that.

I happily support this game with both gaming hours AND MC purchases. I'm a legendary founder since June 2012, I've bought Overlord and not regretting it one bit. I play with a professional team of a bunch of really great guys. I tend to PUG a bit too so I see both sides of the spectrum. I get it. People are unhappy. People will always find things wrong with stuff. However, you all need to understand that what one or a few people think is wrong, many others may think it is fine.

The 3PV does have advantages. I see that. Yes, you can not always see your legs on mechs to help you orientate your torso to them...BUT you CAN see what direction you are going and that is just as good.

I know people are upset about them saying they would not add 3PV. Most of us are. Nobody likes being told one thing and then something else happens. However, as they said, this game is forever changing. Give it a month or two. I wouldn't be surpised if in that time 3PV gets updated or we get 1PV games (Hardcore). The queue option for Hardcore is in game, just not active. That right there tells you they will probably add it in at somepoint. They could be waiting for launch. You never know.

PGI does understand that we are not a community to be trifled with. If we feel we have been wronged, we are very sure to let them know. Perhaps if we all didn't claim the game is dead or how PGI and IGP ruined X and Y or even how the game is screwed or insult them, perhaps they could read these topics and get the good out of them. Rather than insult them and QQ, have you ever thought to make topics VOICING your opinions and ideas? There is a subforum for suggestions for a reason. Just because they may not respond to your topic does not mean they did not read it or do not care. If enough people make the same suggestion on something with GOOD reasons as to why it should be changed, I'm pretty sure PGI will get the message.

If you do not want to play anymore, that is fine. However, there is no need to stick around on the forums QQing about X and Y and how Z is broken, etc. All you are doing is bringing unwanted negative attention to the game. Either suggest ideas or don't post. Simple.

Ok I am done ranting. I thank any and all who just read my post.

Edited by dangerzone, 27 August 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#100 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

View PostScreech, on 27 August 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

When your monthly Creative Developer Update post includes threats to call the cops, you know things are going great.

Yeah, if you are going to do it, just do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users