I Just Uninstalled Today

61 replies to this topic

#1 VertigoHC

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

I uninstalled Mechwarrior Online today. Not because I don't like the Mechwarrior franchise nor because I hate PGI or IGP. I uninstalled because the game is just not fun or interesting. The core game play is at its worse insipid and dull at best. The negative press I've been reading really turned me away from spending my money and more of my time here. There are better products made by companies I trust with my money that I would rather be playing.

I've been a fan of the Mechwarrior franchise since Mechwarrior 2. I've played just about every Mechwarrior game that was released, yes, even Mechassault. I remember the first time I heard that MWO was being worked on. I was interested since it had been awhile since a Mechwarrior game had been released, and on the PC as well. I lost track of MWO for awhile and only recently got wind of it again, through 4chan.

Mind you I am the kind of person that likes to watch things burn down for his own amusement. I like to read 4chan because of the amount of bile and vitriol it generates. It's a bit like a train wreck in progress that you get to watch endlessly. I laughed at 4chan's take on the "success" of Diablo 3, but when MWO was getting the same treatment it made me curious as to what they were talking about and whether they were justified in saying what they were. I installed MWO recently to see what all the fuss was about. I am disappointed.

I am not taking the effort to write this for my sake. I love Mechwarrior games and it has been awhile since one has been made. I want this project to succeed. This isn't a Mechwarrior game you've made PGI. I haven't been playing long enough to get caught up in the betrayal and the broken promises. I have been playing long enough to see how shallow your project is at this point. The bad press isn't going to help future endeavors.

‌I got my cadet bonus and after my first day of play time I managed to score a Hunchback. Because who doesn't love a giant cannon in their chest? It then took me another 1 million Cbills to outfit my new mech to be a bit faster, better even. Probably closer to 3 million since I had to play around with some builds to see what worked. Most of my experiments resulted in failure and wasted playtime. Switching out the AC20 for an AC10 gave me more range and weight savings but less damage. I couldn't do much with the addition weight savings since the Hunchback I bought only allowed specific weapons to be installed in specific slots. If I wanted another type of Hunchback I would have to save up Cbills or spend real money. I wasn't convinced that MWO should get my money at this point. I learned my lesson buying Sword of the Stars 2 on launch day, never again!

After a couple of days of playing I managed to unlock all basic skills for my Hunchback. I was disgusted when I figured out how much play time I would have to invest if I wanted master skills. Three variants of the Hunchback chassis and their basic skills for master skills? It took me all my cadet bonus and 3 million Cbills just to get the current Hunchback into fighting shape! Never mind all the EXP I had to earn just to unlock those basic skills. Then I read that PGI recommend suicide grinding to earn more Cbills. At least I am playing a Mechwarrior game, right?

As I kept playing I had a very familiar experience. One that I get from most FPS I play. The world was resolute in its defiance and stubbornly immobile. It ignored my attempts to interact with it. No matter how much firepower I poured into a building; it ignored me. Walking into a small box would stop my 50 ton mech. The maps were deserts, no matter the tile set I was playing. Walking from point A to point B to either get kills or get killed. Battlefield 3, Call of Duty, and Planetside 2 have the same system of spawn, die, spawn at least they get it over quickly. That's my problem. Mechwarrior Online doesn't feel like a Mechwarrior game. It's like a slower paced Call of Duty. You even have called in air strikes in the game!

The more I read and hear about PGI the more I am convinced they are an amateur developer trying to break into the market. Who lets their 11 year old influence game play design decisions or at least admits to it in a press release? That's embarrassing. Never mind past promises broken and being glassed over as "that was stance at the time" will my purchases be relevant in the future? Or will things change and be adjusted and then glossed over as being the "stance at that time"? Planetside 2 does this to me. Invalidating my real money purchases because other people decide things need to change. I don't need another F2P game to do that to me.

I like Mechwarrior. I want this game to succeed simply because there really isn't much Mechwarrior happening at the moment. There really isn't a point in my walking away from something I want to like without giving some feed back on what I thought was wrong.

TL:DR

Leaving because:

1) Boring gameplay
2) grind
3) amature devs
4) bad press

#2 Kushko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Member Since 26 Aug 2013?

Thats a hell of an opinion to have after 2 days lol. I dont disagree that MWO doesnt have many many problems right now (the main being dev that are so out of touch with their community/reality it hurts my brain to even think about it), but that being said i dont think 2 days are enough to form a propper opinion and you are either just randomly jumping on the hate/complain wagon without actually giving yourself enough time to form a propper opinion or you are posting on an alt account just to spread discontent. Either way sir, i wish you did not stoop this low.

#3 Dapper_

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAtlas Mech

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:56 PM

And we care why?

#4 Time at the Position

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just wait 30-90 days im sure it will get better
You just watch in 30-90 days this game will be great just give it time

#5 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think your error was in reading reviews and 4chan instead of reading the forums and learning how to get thru the grind and gameplay. if your so swayed by opinions, your in for a bad time no matter what game you choose to play.

#6 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Ignoring the fact that he read stuff on 4chan and such, this doesn't bode well for the future of this game if new people continue to come in and are disillusioned by the game after only a few days of play.

The game DOES get boring unfortunately. And I've been sticking with it for over a year now! It's nothing but a deathmatch at this point, and I doubt it's gonna get any better after launch.

#7 sandshrew

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostRoji, on 27 August 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

And we care why?

This is a very common, but very interesting reaction to these sort of posts. Of course, why would long-time players care about a guy that only played for two days? That describes the vast majority of people that even try MWO: play a few matches, uninstall, never touch it again. Maybe "we" don't care about them, they're just more names we see in a pub stomp.

But you know who does care about them? PGI.

This is a typical outcome of the game's 'new player experience'. And even if you don't care if he never plays again, the words "I wasn't convinced that MWO should get my money at this point." are absolute poison to PGI. New players are allegedly the reason we have 3pv. Remember that thing that has an almost(over?) 300 page thread on the forum that people are angry about? That has players, long-standing and money-invested players, up in arms and abandoning the game? PGI is banking heavily on the idea MWO is going to have new players, and that these new players are going to drop money on the game.

If you're going to dismiss these sorts of reactions out of hand (and this thread is far from the only example), you are being incredibly short-sighted.

#8 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

View Posttorgian, on 27 August 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Ignoring the fact that he read stuff on 4chan and such, this doesn't bode well for the future of this game if new people continue to come in and are disillusioned by the game after only a few days of play.

The game DOES get boring unfortunately. And I've been sticking with it for over a year now! It's nothing but a deathmatch at this point, and I doubt it's gonna get any better after launch.

Yeah... all that glory of PVE aspects and asymmetric battles couldn't come any sooner. It still pains me that they're still working on HSR. They make clear indication how imperative it is that it be up and running 100% before launch. But the only started implementing it at March, and we're 2-3 weeks away from launch and it's still not up to snuff, and they're waiting for it to get fixed before they start testing weapon balance changes? yeeks! Not to mention a pile of other stuff...
But like other people say... and Like Vertigo.. it's pretty shallow. Unless you're a story kind of person, or have personal feelings with a certain house, Community Warfare won't bring much.

it's funny because they just mentioned today that new player retention is up because of 3PV. But 3PV has only been live for a week... so that seems fishy. That post seems like it should have been delayed a couple weeks to make some time sensitive points a little more valid.

Anyways. yeah. There's soooo much that this game needs that isn't even out yet. They've had the same game for 12 months. And it has not changed much....

Ohhhhh wellll.......

Take care VertigoHC. Glad you stopped in to try the game. Hopefully you come back after the new year and try it out again... Or come back on Launch day to see Phase 1 of CW and a new shiny interface.

#9 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

View PostKushko, on 27 August 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Thats a hell of an opinion to have after 2 days lol. I dont disagree that MWO doesnt have many many problems right now (the main being dev that are so out of touch with their community/reality it hurts my brain to even think about it), but that being said i dont think 2 days are enough to form a propper opinion and you are either just randomly jumping on the hate/complain wagon without actually giving yourself enough time to form a propper opinion or you are posting on an alt account just to spread discontent. Either way sir, i wish you did not stoop this low.

most likely an alt account for
Posted Image

#10 RapierE01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Have you ever played a Game longer than a week? I dont think so. But hey have fun and cya

#11 VertigoHC

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

"I think your error was in reading reviews and 4chan instead of reading the forums"

I have been reading 4chan, Reddit, and these forums and they are all on fire about PGI and the direction the game has gone in. Some message boards allow more naughty words than others when discussing a topic. Again, I haven't been playing long enough to get heavily invested in this game, but I don't like the way PGI has responded to most of its critics. If I don't trust a company to hold its word then I wont spend my money there, plain and simple. And again, PGI feels like an amateur developer. They seem to be making mistakes in the marketing and public relations departments as well as the development side of things. They have some growth to do in my eyes. I don't think MWO is dead; just not for me right now.

"but that being said i dont think 2 days are enough to form a propper opinion"

First impressions mean allot. If you cannot convince someone that you have a better product or service than your competitor how do you expect to survive? I have over 450 hours in Planetside 2 and have spent easily 120 USD on that game. Why do I want to spend my money here? If I choose not to spend money, I have to grind, which means all the different mechs and variants are locked away from me. The different mechs is what makes battletech, the variants, the combinations of unique weapons and equipment that give it flavor. I was penalized for experimenting on a F2P account. I wonder what would have happened if I spent money on a fundamentally broken mech? Would PGI given me a refund, or would they have just ignored me, or just say that they are going to fix that mech in 30-90 days after release?

#12 Navy Sixes

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

VertigoHC! You still here? Thought you were leaving...

#13 ricardox

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostKushko, on 27 August 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Apparently not long enough to know Gameplay Balance is not the correct forum for this topic...

#14 TheAtomiser

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Good riddance. One less whingy cryer everybody has to deal with when playing or reading the forums. I'll be playing this game for as long as it's out.

#15 Airu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

People who say "who cares..." what new players think, don't understand that new players are required for an f2p game to continue to receive support from the developer, if PGI would see that there are no new players coming to the game, they might just abandon the project. Same thing happend to tribes ascend... A small player base consisting only of vets with all mechs already bought would not be able to sustain an f2p game for long.

#16 Igorius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationA place beyond your dreams

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

View Posttorgian, on 27 August 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

This has been one of my worries for a while now, honestly. I can't say whether the OP is sincere or not, but the sentiment offered is genuine nonetheless. I've brought in almost a dozen friends to try the game out since going to open beta, and not a one of them made it more than two months before getting bored/frustrated and leaving. Adding in the new C-Bill grind reality, I can totally understand people getting burned out on this game quickly. Which is a shame.

And as an aside, what's with the shame game thrown at the OP for his post? I don't enjoy reading the doom and gloom posts any more than the rest of you, but treating someone's observations on the game so dismissively will only further fracture the already decimated nature of the community. Bah, but what do I care? You know what they say about opinions, after all.

#17 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostTime at the Position, on 27 August 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Just wait 30-90 days im sure it will get better
You just watch in 30-90 days this game will be great just give it time

Spoken like a true white knight. I just don't play anymore because apparently both very high and low settings deserve 15~25 FPS

#18 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

guys for christ sake :STOP USING FAKE ACCOUNTS IT SUCKS !

and if the OP isnt a fake then he should ask his dad why he never gave him any attention when he was a little boy .

#19 sandshrew

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostIgorius, on 27 August 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

And as an aside, what's with the shame game thrown at the OP for his post?

Seems to be a common theme on this forum, part of why my post count is so low. People are more than willing to ignore legitimate points by attacking the poster directly, even through logically questionable means.

As for your attempts to bring your friends in, my own efforts were mostly the same.

#20 VertigoHC

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

"Take care VertigoHC. Glad you stopped in to try the game. Hopefully you come back after the new year and try it out again... Or come back on Launch day to see Phase 1 of CW and a new shiny interface."

I will probably come back after awhile for a second look. I really do hope that this game doesn't go the way of Tribes: Ascend.

"VertigoHC! You still here? Thought you were leaving..."

I'll stick around long enough to respond to everything I feel warrants a response. The whole purpose of me starting this thread was to give reasons why I uninstalled and hopeful give PGI some feedback. I never said I was leaving forever anyways.

"How is PS2? I left it for the same reasons MWO is losing appeal in my eyes. Higby lying out his teeth and selling balance with weekly deals instead of just fixing obvious weapon metrics."

F2P games seem to be rubbing me the wrong ways these days. They have become an uncomfortably popular business model that likes to put the politics of money right in my face. Not that I have enough of that at work. PS2 still has its moments but I am in hibernation as of right now. Playing it on and off as I fancy.

"Apparently not long enough to know Gameplay Balance is not the correct forum for this topic..."

I wish I knew where I was supposed to put this thread. Maybe a mod would be kind enough to move it. I would have put it in Comstar Focus Group by the description of the board that would have been the most appropriate place for my thread but I cant start threads in there.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users