Weighting New Maps Is Bad!

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you agree with the post? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree PGI should stop weighting maps to come up more then any other?

1. Yes (28 votes [70.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (7 votes [17.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

3. PGI IS GREAT! (1 votes [2.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

4. PGI SUCKS! (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

PGI PLEASE STOP THIS PRACTICE!!

Make all maps equal so that we don't get burned out on the new map in the span of a few hours. It was kinda funny with Tourmaline as I knew the map better then anyone I was dropping with that evening from playing it a few hours before and getting it 5 freakin times in a row, then took a break only to get it 3 more times before it switch map. This practice is indicative of your failed broken ways of doing things, please for the love of god stop weighting new maps or any maps to come up more then any other! You have no valid reason to do this, it comes up enough in the rotation when evenly weighted against the other maps for any of us, and with the thousands of people that play MWO you should get enough data!

STOP THE INSANITY!

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

kinda lame if they are going to sap all the excitement of a new map by making us play it over and over and over again.

it doesn't feel like a new map anymore.

#3 Solkar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 08 August 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Make all maps equal so that we don't get burned out on the new map in the span of a few hours.

Just so you know, the devs that readthis stuff, and even the ones that read bug reports and feedback reports are told that there is NO weighting. I even showed a screenshot of my map counts with a map that was 2 days old having more drops than the original maps, but they (logically) believe the programmers who tell them there is no weighting.

I think the problem is that someone added it at some point, maybe it was supposed to be removed, so they think it is removed, but that change either never happened, or was rolled back by accident.

So please, yes, keep giving them feedback about it, but don't get pissy when they swear up and down that it isn't happening. They are being told that by the people who write the code.

#4 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

View PostSolkar, on 08 August 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Just so you know, the devs that readthis stuff, and even the ones that read bug reports and feedback reports are told that there is NO weighting. I even showed a screenshot of my map counts with a map that was 2 days old having more drops than the original maps, but they (logically) believe the programmers who tell them there is no weighting.

I think the problem is that someone added it at some point, maybe it was supposed to be removed, so they think it is removed, but that change either never happened, or was rolled back by accident.

So please, yes, keep giving them feedback about it, but don't get pissy when they swear up and down that it isn't happening. They are being told that by the people who write the code.

Actually when Alpine first came out, it almost never showed up and people complained because if you played for 3 hours a night, you MIGHT get it once a night. So to make it so people actually get to play the new map, they modified the servers to favor it. Unfortunately they over did it and just need to cut it back a bit.

They also need to not let this happen on spawn
EDIT: was supposed to be a screen shot of me stuck floating above crates at spawn point in terra therma but not sure how to post it...

Edited by Kell Commander, 08 August 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Renthrak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostWerewolf486, on 08 August 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

You have no valid reason to do this, it comes up enough in the rotation when evenly weighted against the other maps for any of us, and with the thousands of people that play MWO you should get enough data!

To begin with, remember that this is still beta. That means we are testing incomplete versions of the game. It also means that the priority is to focus on refining the game. If it is necessary to temporarily inconvenience the players for the sake of improving MWO, then doing so is only natural.

There is a perfectly logical reason to have the newest map appear more often in the rotation. Existing maps have been accumulating data for weeks or months, and have benefited from the changes that such a large volume of information makes possible. When a new map is released, it starts from zero. If all maps appeared with the same frequency, then the rate of data accumulation would progress evenly for new and old maps. In this case, the data gap will never be filled.

None of that matters to players. What does matter, is the experience of playing on the maps. Getting stuck, falling through terrain, walking into invisible obstacles, shots hitting what looks like empty space, exploitable locations that can grant an unfair advantage, map quirks that cause unanticipated problems, FPS drops, etc. The only possible way to maintain quality between newer and older maps is to get more data on newer maps than older ones, until the gap is reasonably closed. With so many players now compared to last year, it is apparently only necessary to do this for a month (at which point a new map is added). Otherwise, I doubt it would be practical at all.

The alternative: anyone can tell which map is newest, because it has the most bugs, for the life of the game.

#6 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

I am fine with this for the first week, or first patch cycle but at this point I am missing great maps like caustic valley and river city for as many times as tourmaline comes up.

#7 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Terra-mother-duckhunting-shoot-me-in-the-back-why-don't-you-cause-pugs-are-too-stupid-to-spread-out-in-a-box-canyon-THERMA.

Yeah. Enough weighting already.

#8 Kattspya

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'd accept weighting for for a week so you get a decent chance to play a new map. But not as heavily as has been done in the past and not as long.

I'd also like the MM to not give me the same map three to five times in a row.

#9 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

I got canyon 8 times in a row today then river city then canyon anonthe five. It weird. Some days just change the names of the map and it happens there. I think the bigger issue is seeing the same premades over and over too. Happens more often than the maps it seems even if you break the cycle by dropping out or waiting to drop again.

#10 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

Consider this - if they *don't* weight the new maps more heavily, then bugs on said maps are going to last a lot longer.

#11 All24Cans

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I'm so sick of getting maps I don't want to play, and according to my stats, I get Tourmaline Desert 19% of the time; and that map hasn't been out all that long. I'd rather just be able to pick the map I want to play. I'd even spend MC's to be able to play the map I choose.

#12 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Consider this - if they *don't* weight the new maps more heavily, then bugs on said maps are going to last a lot longer.

Reasonable in the short term. But how long has Terra Therma and Tourmaline been out now?

#13 Gaan Cathal

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

That would be a valid argument if, say, we were in Beta.

#14 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Play map, find bugs, report bugs. Seems like people are complaining more than doing anything else.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 24 September 2013 - 07:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users