- - - - -

New To Mwo! Some Questions And Search For A "mentor"

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sanjuru

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

As the title says, im new to MwO! Already played a bunch of rounds, bought the first Mech and played a bit with the equipment ( dont know if its good or bad what i did to my poor CPLT-K2)

So first question :

Is the Mech okay? And to buy a heavy one as a new player?

So as i said, i already played around with the equipment ( got rid of the machine guns, changed the structure to endo-steel, swapped to the armor type and installed the anti-missile-system), is that okay too? ;P

And im looking for someone who already knows a bunch of things. Would be nice if that person is german ( my native language ), english is fine too, but dont expect a good english. ;P

So jeah, thats everything!

You can add me ingame ofc if you want to help out! :P

Sorry if my English sucks to hard... =(

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Here is the German language forum

http://mwomercs.com/...eutsches-forum/

You can get lots of help there.

There are other choices I would have made for a first mech but the K2 isn't horrible.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

scJazz posted as I was typing, my post will elaborate, but probably want to follow his as well

I wouldn't worry to much about grammar - (American) English is my first language and I do not have an overly good grasp of it myself :D
...but that would be me talking. (I am working on learning German, {Deustch?} but it is not going overly well :P)

As for the mech - the K2 was one of THE recommended new player mechs for a rather long time, so no, you did not chose poorly with it - just be aware that most if not all Jagermechs do about the same thing. - and some of them I am told do it better
-not much personal experience with either chassis, I usually pilot medium weight mechs

For your upgrades... Endo was a good choice I believe, Ferro, maybe not so much - general order of desire-ability for upgrades is usually - Double HeatSinks > Endo >>>>> Ferro.

DHS because they improve your heat at the same weight (with a larger engine you dont even have to pay the bulk-penalty)
Endo because it saves weight, and far more than ferro
Endo cuts your internal structure (mech skeleton) weight in half, ferro adds a few more points of armor per ton (same armor cap)

AMS is almost always a good choice - knocks a good number of missiles out of the air, whether targeted at you or a friendly teammate

#4 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

I think you made a mistake with the ferro-fibrous armor. Sorry to say, but it takes up too much room for a heavy mech. You will want the critical space for double heatsinks. Double heatsinks are a must for the K2.

#5 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

CPTL-K2 is a good starter mech. You can fit a good amount of builds in it and it's friendly small and hard to hit side torsos give you the option to install an XL engine.

You can install anything you want with the mech. Just try to build it so that you can still hold your own in battle.

Koniving has a lot of awesome videos and he's a frequent poster in the newcomer forums. He's the one that taught many new players, including me, and helped ease the learning curve of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Koniving

Before you go any further into building you mech, I highly encourage you to play around building different loadouts in this website:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

I also have the CPTL-K2 mech as well. I enjoy it immensely. I built my mech as a support sniper mech that deals damage from behind friendly front lines. I'm not completely vulnerable in close combat though as I have some MGs and Large Lasers :P

Here is my CPTL-K2 build: CPLT-K2

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

This is a basic, low-cost K2 upgrade compared to the original K2. It has an anti-missile system installed, a CASE in the right torso to protect you from ammunition detonation.

It is equipped with 2 Medium Pulse Lasers, which deal their damage in 0.6 seconds of "laser beam" time instead of 1.0 seconds. They recharge faster, deal more damage, but heat up more so make those shots count. Do not fire unless the target is within 180 meters. You still have the machine guns which are good out to 220 meters. I highly recommend that you treat the machine guns like lasers. Point at the target. Do not lead the bullets. The "bullets you see" do not exist, they are just particles. The machine gun bullets travel instantly to the target.

Regular PPCs have a minimum range of 90 meters. Try not to use the PPCs when enemies are too close. They can fire out to twice their stated range in the bottom right corner of the screen, but at that range they deal 0 damage.

Your left side is sacrificial; if you are going to lose part of your body make certain to lose your left side and protect your right side.

---------

My personal design at the moment is this: Kon's Dagger. It's made to swiftly come in from the side, tear through your weakened armor and briskly make an exit. I've been having some fun with this and if my luck keeps up I'll be doing a video with it.

Edit: Forgot to update the build to reflect my Dagger's armor allocation.

Edited by Koniving, 30 August 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

The k2 is just fine. Two builds I like are 4 large lasers or 2 ultra ac/5 plus 4 medium lasers.

Note that four large lasers needs to be broken up into two groups of two to avoid heat penalties but its still a fun mech for both long and close range.

#8 Sanjuru

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Thanks to everybody! :) It helped alot!

#9 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Read your fellow german's post at the top of the newbie forum - Wadde did an amazing job!

K2 is an okay mech, it's a tier 2 mech and used to be the sniper mech of choice.. you can build it a lot of different ways and it's still a beast!

Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users