- - - - -

Catapult Cplt-K2 Possibly The Biggest Fail Build Ever?

18 replies to this topic

#1 IR_Quinn

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

Well I managed to save up around 9.5 million and I took the plunge and bought my very own mech. I had decided for my first mech I had already decided I wanted something that could do massive damage and medium/long range whilst trading off some mobility.

I decided to go with the CPLT-K2 and the standard build wasn't too shabby, the twin PPC put out decent damage. I decided to play around a little and sacrifice movement speed for that insane burst sniper damage I wanted.

Anyway I ended up with this;
Posted Image

Now my mech shuts down from heat after each volley, after three volleys my mech explodes from heat damage.

#2 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

Do two ppc and two large lasers, or pulse lasers. Can also fit big xl, once you get cash.

#3 RedThirteen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRockets

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

Get the DHS upgrade. NOW. I had more heatsinks in my 2x ppc Cn9-AL build :|

#4 MichaelAAF

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

Yeah 4 ppc = at least 40 heat in a shot with only 16 heat sinks you pop. Go for 2 and get a engine. You could go "double heat" sinks but thats still only 24 heat.

#5 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

4xPPC/ERPPC is actually a viable sniper build on the K2, but with an XL engine, Endo Steel, and Double Heatsinks (i.e. another couple million credits). Until you get the heat situation under control, I recommend some Gauss Rifles or big Autocannons supported by medium lasers.

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

1 ) Install the original engine
2 ) Buy Double Strength Heat Sinks you do not have anywhere near enough Heat Sinks (1.5m)
3 ) Remove Ferro-Fibrous (you will have to pay to do that about 170k). Only lights and some mediums can get away with using FF everything else runs out of space.
4 ) Buy Endo Steel Structure saves 3 tons weight at the cost of 14 crit locations (650K)
5 ) Sell that 130 Engine you bought and don't ever try the pillbox stunt again :wub:

CPLT-K2 For Now

CPLT-K2 For Later

EDIT: Forgot... ummmm yeah I can not off the top of my head think of any other New Player posting such horrific fail which violates everything we know about Mech Design. (/sarcasm)

Edited by scJazz, 31 August 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#7 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostscJazz, on 31 August 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

1 ) Install the original engine
2 ) Buy Double Strength Heat Sinks you do not have anywhere near enough Heat Sinks (1.5m)
3 ) Remove Ferro-Fibrous (you will have to pay to do that about 170k). Only lights and some mediums can get away with using FF everything else runs out of space.
4 ) Buy Endo Steel Structure saves 3 tons weight at the cost of 14 crit locations (650K)
5 ) Sell that 130 Engine you bought and don't ever try the pillbox stunt again :wub:

CPLT-K2 For Now

CPLT-K2 For Later

EDIT: Its ok, we all make mistakes

fixed.....

#8 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

Hey OP,

We all make mistakes, that's how we learn. Good advice already given. I would only add maybe try the 2xPPC/2xUAC5 build, once you get Dual Heat Sinks (DHS's) and put in a much bigger engine. XL 300 is a great engine, and you can swap it into many different chassis as you buy more mechs. But, it's really expensive. I would look at a mech in a chassis you like that has one in it and buy the whole mech, pull the engine and let that mech sit until you're ready to jump in it.

You will eventually have several "spare" engines you can play around with once you get some c-bills flowing. The c-bill grind is terrible right now, and I hope PGI adds some more buff to the earnings. Grinding for new mechs is pretty bad right now.

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostRyanUNDEAD, on 31 August 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

*Recoils in horror* WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?

That abomination aside you can also try a simpler setup using a stock K2 and simply upgrading its heatsinkgs to DHS, fairly cheap and affords you a much greater cooling capacity. CPLT-K2 Upgraded

For newer players I tend to suggest simple and fairly coolrunning builds, relatively cheap (you just pay for the DHS upgrade and the actual extra heatsinks) and make a note that machineguns use hitscan like lasers so you can bind the medium lasers with the mguns so you only need to deal with two weapon groups.

Once you get around to affording a XL engine you can pretty much pack whatever feels right into your mech,though its up to you if you want to get a XL before you get to working on other catapults (for the efficiency unlocks) or the other cats first then the XL.

#10 VIPER2207

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 565 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

this is the build i run with my K2... performs well at any range and is quite cool

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d6d52e3b5d6cc1d

#11 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Well I managed to save up around 9.5 million and I took the plunge and bought my very own mech. I had decided for my first mech I had already decided I wanted something that could do massive damage and medium/long range whilst trading off some mobility.

I decided to go with the CPLT-K2 and the standard build wasn't too shabby, the twin PPC put out decent damage. I decided to play around a little and sacrifice movement speed for that insane burst sniper damage I wanted.

Posted Image

Now my mech shuts down from heat after each volley, after three volleys my mech explodes from heat damage.

This is also because of Ghost Heat. After two PPC's, you start generating exponentially more heat per additional one fired.

One PPC: 9 heat.
Two PPC's: 18 heat.
Three PPC's: 38 heat.
Four PPC's: 66 heat.

So if you take 4 PPC's, fire them in pairs at least half a second apart. If you do that, you can fire all four for 36 heat (still a lot!)

I'd recommend 2 PPC's and 2 Large Lasers, though, because you can fire them all together without additional heat penalties. Use the 4 tons freed up to put on more heat sinks.

But, the biggest thing here is DHS. Double Heat Sinks are pretty much a mandatory upgrade for everyone. They're expensive, but they make an ENORMOUS difference. Basically everything that was said above.

#12 k0sh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

Use Chainfire or change modules.

#13 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Posted Image
:wub: But seriously, I know its been said before, but Heavies should go about 60-70kph to be survivable. With the "ghost" heat scale, that much PPCage is due to wreck your insides before you can fire off a few shots. Drop two of the PPCs for Large lasers or something. Or if you are looking for long distance build, go Gauss or twin AC2s. Yeah, the AC2s don't do a lot of damage, but the constant face wrecking and cockpit shake is enough to put the enemy back in their hole while you wait for your PPCs to cycle back up. Something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d8410cf or this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a064ce6 Of note too, is the XL engine. Catapults make perfect candidates for XL engines because of their small side torso hit boxes. You can get an XL 285 for about 5mil and swap it out of every catapult you buy. I only own 2 XL 285s and an XL 300 that I share between 10 mechs :)

Edited by MnDragon, 31 August 2013 - 08:51 AM.

#14 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

The advantage the K2 has is its mobility!

I see so many new players buy a K2 without knowing it's the easiest mech in the game to kill :wub:
Catapults have a massive head hitbox, and it's mobility (i.e. keep moving and torso twisting) that keeps it alive. Jump jets are the Catapults best friend, combined with speed. unfortunately the K2 doesn't get JJ's.

You will die to headshots a lot. Even the ct is hard to miss, and if the shot misses it more than likely hits the head anyway.

My K2 (it's actually a K3) has 2xERPPC's, 2xML's, and 2xMG's, 300XL engine, and 20DHS. In the current meta it's okay-ish for long range and terrible for brawling.

#15 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Posted Image

Too many PPC. How about go with 2 PPC, 2 Larger Lasers, 2 Machine gun for hitting internal. Use 265 XL engine. Have fun :)

Edited by Sheraf, 31 August 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#16 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

fun sniper build

XL315
2 x ERPPC
2 x AC2
2 x Med Lazors
Endo / DHS

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

If you're new...follow one of those links to Smurfy, set up an account and mess with designs there, paying special attention to the "Cooling Efficiency" number. I can't pretend to tell you a target for it (varies by play style among other things and I'm only an ok-no-longer-brand-new player), but I don't like to mess around with anything under about 33, and higher is better.

S

#18 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

2 gauss rifles.

hell on wheels.

#19 Modo44