- - - - -

Seismic Sensor Module; Worth It?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Moromillas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationSecret **** moon base

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

250 metres? Most weapons can fire well past 250 metres. What's to stop you from getting shot in the back well before the sensor picks up on it. Is this just a module to detect flamer builds?

Basically, I'm trying to think of what would be useful as a 3rd module, for LRM support. Something that isn't Target Decay or Sensor Range.

Is this the right place to ask such a question?

#2 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

This is the right place to ask.

Yes! I think seismic sensor is the first module you should get. Opinions will vary, but it's very useful. It sucks that PGI nerfed the range on it, but it still comes in real handy. Too many cry babies.

250 meters sounds short, and it is, but if an enemy mech is trying to sneak around on you, they're using cover anyway, so likely cannot fire on you until they get in position. I can't count the number of times I've seen the blip on the other side of the building, or rock pile, or whatever that's let me know a back stabbing coward is there. :wub: It's great fun to be able to pivot around quickly and set up waiting for them to turn the corner, then BAM, full alpha to the face of some vermin.

Pure lolz.

Think of it as most useful in heavy cover areas, like city streets, or the large rock piles on Tourmaline or Terra. Nice to get that little "heads up" that something is around that corner.

#3 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

It is the number one most useful module and sits alongside with Target Decay and Sensor Range in my Catapult.

#4 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Cool Shot 9 (by 9 upgrade) (+20%)
(Advanced) Target Decay
(Advanced) Seismic Sensor

All three upgraded provided for stupidly good Modules. The cool shot is basically a crit free, tonnage free, Coolant pod. Which if you know what that is or have played past MechWarrior games know how brokenly good coolant is.

Target Decay will allow your taget box to stick over the target for an additional 3 seconds after it leaves your cone of vision or line of sight. From jump sniping, light mech dog fighting, and ESPECIALLY missile locks, this one is just too good.

Seismic Sensor : Back before they nerfed it, it was essentially 360 radar. Not that you could target the little red bleeps, but simply knowing that mechs were sneaking up to flank you or getting ready for an attack is just far, far too good to not have.

#5 k0sh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostMoromillas, on 31 August 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

250 metres? Most weapons can fire well past 250 metres. What's to stop you from getting shot in the back well before the sensor picks up on it. Is this just a module to detect flamer builds?

Basically, I'm trying to think of what would be useful as a 3rd module, for LRM support. Something that isn't Target Decay or Sensor Range.

Is this the right place to ask such a question?

Seismic sensor is absolute must to any MW player!
It will help you get more kills.
It will stop get you killed from behind.

#6 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

Its still the number one module to have in any mech and might one of the few modules players buy two of.

Scouts, brawlers, lrm boats, its good for every mech out there and i have never regretted buying mine and maxing it out.

#7 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

Even with the nerf sensor module is incredibly useful, I dont have one only because im poor and holding only my money for a Orion.

That aside being able to detect when someone is on the other side of a building, hill, or comming up behind you can mean all the difference between taking a ac20 to the back or turning around in time to take it in the front. (Yesterday actually I had a spider sneak up behind me in the frozen city tunnel but his ECM gave him away before he could fire and I gave him a face full of lasers :wub:) Once im sitting pretty in my orion i'll likely get seismic as my first module.

#8 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

If you're being shot in the back unexpectedly from range, your mistakes have already been made and no module can fix them.

Seismic is awesome but that's not what it's for.

#9 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

View Postcleghorn6, on 31 August 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

If you're being shot in the back unexpectedly from range, your mistakes have already been made and no module can fix them.

Seismic is awesome but that's not what it's for.

This, absolutely.

Seismic warns you when you're entering a confined area that there's enemy mechs around the corner. You see one or two, but seismic warns you about the other two behind a rock.

3PV gives a view angle advantage, but isn't magical viewjuice. It doesn't let you see through buildings and rocks. Knowing there's three enemy mechs on the other side of a rock spire in Tourmaline that you're circling is life saving information.

Seismic gives you time to not make mistakes that would likely kill you.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Not so useful for watching your back, but think about corners, structures, ridges. What's on the other side of that rock? How many mechs are in the TUNNEL without having to go inside? It has a lot of uses and I almost always have one on unless I'm using LRMs

#11 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Right place - forums are confusing and mixed up.. I think the seismic module is really strong -- OP even...

Here's a repost of my module ranking from my tier list( I don't know why it's not listed as 1 to 10!?!):

Module Ranking##
  • 1. Seismic module - still required, OP!
  • 2. Coolant flush - needed to maximize your damage (more in tournament play than solo queue)
  • 3 Advanced sensor range - see things farther away!
  • 4 Target decay - i think this is more useful than 360 when chasing one on one, but it's a personal preference
  • 5 Capture accelerator - cap quicker, really depends on how many modules you have and what tactics your team uses
  • 6 360 decay - useful following lights but if you're a light you might find target decay works well enough
  • 7 Target info gathering - get information sooner - important on light assassins ** I play with this one A LOT in solo queue / 4 mans.. but in competitive matches there are other modules I would choose....! I love this module on my Spider 5d which allows me to focus damaged mechs.**
  • 8 Advanced zoom - limitations of the engine cause this to be grainy, highly personal, rarely used
  • 9 Artillery - Airstrikes - just not doing enough damage, cool smoke though
  • 10 UAV - really not 10th as in bad, but as in usefulness in competitive play is limited.

Edited by MavRCK, 31 August 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#12 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

Seismic is #2 in my mechs modules list,
#1 is coolshot 9by9 (I use it rarely, like 1 in 10-15 matches when it's necessary to get the upper hand),
#3 is target info gathering whenever I have a third module slot available.
#4 is advanced sensor range (in those rare 4-slots mechs). When I snipe on my cicada i swap this instead of the seismic.

#13 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

I use, in order of preference, and available module slots: (all modules are max rank, if applicable)

Brawler Mech:
1 - Seismic rank 2
2 - Target Info Gathering (loads the enemy paper doll faster, with their loadout)
3 - Advanced Sensor Range

LRM Boat:
1 - Target Decay (holds lock a hair longer, which many times, is just enough)
2 - Advanced Sensor Range
3 - Seismic (to prevent getting ninja'd. If no 3rd slot, no Seismic. I get more mileage from Range and Decay)

I avoid all consumables, as to me, none are worth an empty module slot once used, and all of them, again, to me, are lol.

#14 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:40 AM

Its a excellent module that works wonderfully, and incidentally invalidates lots of forum arguments over third person view. How you ask?.. Well see below:

"3pv gives you an advantage with peaking around corners" cried the forums, "Ban it now its way too overpowered!"
"But guys" says I, "Haven't seismic sensors been doing exactly this - but better - for ages now?"
Silence descends..... "Before a voice says "That is different.. we all like Seismic Sensors, we don't like 3pv!"
"But none of you liked Seismic when it first came in either???"
"We don't care, 3pv is too powerful"

So as you can see Seismic sensors are so good it can solve epic forum rage too.

#15 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

View PostMavRCK, on 31 August 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Right place - forums are confusing and mixed up.. I think the seismic module is really strong -- OP even...

Here's a repost of my module ranking from my tier list( I don't know why it's not listed as 1 to 10!?!):

Module Ranking##
  • 1. Seismic module - still required, OP!
  • 2. Coolant flush - needed to maximize your damage (more in tournament play than solo queue)
  • 3 Advanced sensor range - see things farther away!
  • 4 Target decay - i think this is more useful than 360 when chasing one on one, but it's a personal preference
  • 5 Capture accelerator - cap quicker, really depends on how many modules you have and what tactics your team uses
  • 6 360 decay - useful following lights but if you're a light you might find target decay works well enough
  • 7 Target info gathering - get information sooner - important on light assassins ** I play with this one A LOT in solo queue / 4 mans.. but in competitive matches there are other modules I would choose....! I love this module on my Spider 5d which allows me to focus damaged mechs.**
  • 8 Advanced zoom - limitations of the engine cause this to be grainy, highly personal, rarely used
  • 9 Artillery - Airstrikes - just not doing enough damage, cool smoke though
  • 10 UAV - really not 10th as in bad, but as in usefulness in competitive play is limited.

This is a really wrong list.

1) Seismic Sensor: This part is right. Must have. Period.
2) Capture Accelerator: The only module that can win or lose the entire game. A must unless you are doing assault in an assault, and even then..
3) Coolant 9 by 9: Great for extra shock damage. Well worth it.
3A) Target Decay: If you have a missile boat, get this. Otherwise it's unimportant.
4) UAV: The only other useful consumable, but is niche. It's great if you're working with a team, however, in particular to counter ECM in brawls for 'mechs outside of their range.

The rest are all varying degrees of sub-par or bad, with Artillery/Air Strikes being at the bottom along with Adv. Zoom.

Things like Extended sensor range are really not a big deal. How often would a weapons lock outside of 1000m really help you? People keep taking this one and thinking it's effective, but it really does not much of anything for you in practice.) Likewise, why would you really need 360 targeting when your teammates can hold your lock in a brawl, and seismic keep their positions in smaller engagements?

They really are just not very good past that.

Edited by Victor Morson, 02 September 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#16 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

A must have for mechs on my team. I would be really, really glad if I ever encountered a team that didn't have this on any mechs. Also, if you are trying to be sneaky and an unseen enemy shows up on seismic, watch how they move. This will usually tell you whether they have seismic as well.

#17 TyrEol

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

You can see the siesmic sensor in action and get a feel for how people use it if you spectate your team mates after you die in a match.

You may find that one of them has a siesmic sensor installed. You can recognise it from the flashing red dots on thier mini map.

Look at thier mini maps and see how your team mate is moving around buildings / changing thier path based on the flashing red dots (rather than little red arrows which are mechs you can see with normal sensors).

Spectating is almost always educational in one form or another.

[edit]Typo[/edit]

Edited by TyrEol, 02 September 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#18 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 02 September 2013 - 02:55 AM, said:

1) Seismic Sensor: This part is right. Must have. Period.
2) Capture Accelerator: The only module that can win or lose the entire game. A must unless you are doing assault in an assault, and even then..
3) Coolant 9 by 9: Great for extra shock damage. Well worth it.
3A) Target Decay: If you have a missile boat, get this. Otherwise it's unimportant.
4) UAV: The only other useful consumable, but is niche. It's great if you're working with a team, however, in particular to counter ECM in brawls for 'mechs outside of their range.

The rest are all varying degrees of sub-par or bad, with Artillery/Air Strikes being at the bottom along with Adv. Zoom.

Things like Extended sensor range are really not a big deal. How often would a weapons lock outside of 1000m really help you? People keep taking this one and thinking it's effective, but it really does not much of anything for you in practice.) Likewise, why would you really need 360 targeting when your teammates can hold your lock in a brawl, and seismic keep their positions in smaller engagements?

They really are just not very good past that.

As with nearly everything, these sort of lists are highly subjective to the mech which has the modules installed.

My personal one would be

1. Seismic (although not really needed for an LRM Mech as they are 4th line Mechs and any mech which can sneak up to you has had to go past the sensors of your scouts, brawlers and snipers... which means your team messd up at some point).

2. Capture accelerator (although not for LRM mechs or slow Assault mechs... only really useful on Scouts and brawlers/strikers)

3. Cool shots (a must have for snipers and brawlers. good to put in on other mechs, but fire controll is better if you dont have the slots for additional modules)

4. Info gathering ( a must have for scouts, brawlers and snipers... not so interresting for LRM mechs as you cant aim the LRMs to hit a certain area which is already critical)

5. Target decay (absolutely needed for LRMs... but be careful as the decaying target is probably already behind cover. its nice to use so that you can see where the mech is headed to once they have reached cover)

6. UAV ( a must have for scouts if you have an LRM mech on your team as they can streak through the enemy blob and shoot up the UAV to give stable locks)

7. Extended sensor range (great for Scouts good for snipers, OK for LRM mechs and useless for Brawlers)

8. Artillery Strike (nice if you have the free slots, especially to crit the enemy lights capping Theta at the start of any conquest match as they usually hug the cap point center and cant see the smoke on top of it)

9. Air Strikes (much like Artillery Strikes, just not as effective as the effects are easier to see)

10 - 99. random modules in the game or yet to be added.

100. Advanced Zoom (If I wanted to play a game that looked like this, then I would be playing Minecraft).

Back to the topic though, Id say that the best ones for an LRM mech would be Advanced Target decay, Advanced Sensor range and then either Cool shot 9 by 9 or Seismic.

#19 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

Seismic sensor = PGI sanctioned wallhack

What´s not to like ?

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

If Seismic sensor worked as a seismic sensor and not a motion detector, I'd say its worth is debatable. However since it's a motion sensor completely unimpeded by your own movement, all you need is that sound effect from the aliens movie.

"They're coming through the walls man! They're coming through the walls!"

Edited by Koniving, 02 September 2013 - 09:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users