- - - - -

Arbitrary Hidden Rules: Lrm Combined Fire

10 replies to this topic

#1 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

o/

there are alot of arbitrary things in the game, mostly due to lack of ingame item description. One of those things I recently have trouble with is how missiles work concerning heat (stacking malus) and how they are launched. And I hope you can help me understand, because the game gives me no info at all.

I have a Stalker with 2x10 tubes (arms) and 2x6 tubes (side torsos). I got that info from the smurfy web-builder.
Now I put 2 LRM 20 on the arms and get two salvos. Looks right. Then I take them off and put two LRM 10 in the tosos, again I get two salvos.
Now I mount all of them and fire them together, and suddenly I get 3 salvos. How the hell does that happen?
What I want: two salvos, as big as possible.

Also, the heat issue. I understand that boating is getting harcountered by the stacking malus. What I don't get is how LRM launchers work there, because I try different combinations of different launchers in smurfy, and get weird results. I'm not that bad at logic, but I seriously couldn't figure out the system, because it's neither the amount of launchers, nor the amount of LRMs that define the "limit". It's probably some weird combination of both, which looks totally random and confuses the hell out of me. So again, I need your help to tell me the magic runes.

Overall, the lack of transparency is a big reason for newbies to not play the game.

#2 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

Have you opened the missile bay doors? The default button is / (forward slash). You need to hit that once to open the doors. If you don't then there will be a short delay between you pressing the fire button, and the arm-mounted LRMs firing. There is no door that I am aware of on the torso - and so those will fire straight away.

There used to be a little yellow light on one of the window frames that went green when the door was open. But it recently broke.

Perhaps 3PV can be used to check whether the bay doors are open? (Contraversial :))

I'm a bit fuzzy on ghost heat too. My interpretation is that if you have lots (3 or more) of (20, 15 or 10 tube) launchers and fire them all at once (or very close together - within 0.5 seconds), then you get a heat penalty based on a multiple (2.8) of the largest launcher's heat generation.

http://mwomercs.com/...cale-the-maths/

I can't disagree with you on the lack of clarity. Game launch (and surely a great new player tutorial!) is coming real soon now ™.

(By the way - a STK-3H has 20 tubes in the arms, making it a great LRM platform. Try 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM5 - one 50 missile salvo and neatly dodges ghost heat at the moment)

Edited by Dalziel Hasek Davion, 02 September 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

two LRM 20s in the arms: fire simultaneously because both LRM20s are behind a missile bay door.

two lrm10s in the side torsos, fire simultaneously because both are in open ports (no bay door).

Firing LRMs from the arms and side torsos at the same time will fire one salvo from the torsos, a smaller secondsalvo from the torso, the first salvo from the arms, and the second salvo from the arms at different times. Open the missile bay doors with the / key.

I don't reccomend firing that many LRMs all at the same time, because you will incur heat penalties. A small delay of merely .5 of a second will prevent high-alpha-heat-penalties.

note that the missile bay doors, when closed, give you a 10% reduction to oncoming damage to the front of your arms (not that the front of a Stalker's arms receives much direct fire, if you're losing an arms it's usually due to fire from the side)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 02 September 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#4 k0sh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think he's asking how to make cloud of lrm's in one button. I do noticed when I was firing 2x 10 lrm's from stalker I see one "batch" and another one 1-2 seconds after so it seems like I fired 5 each and another 5 after 1-2 seconds and it will stay like that with bays open or closed. Bug or intended?

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

For heat penalties, scroll down on the weapon/mech stats page: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#6 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for your replies, that helps alot. I didn't even know the Stalker has missile bay doors. As I said, the game isn't exactly clear about what's going on. An no, it can't be seen in 3rd person view, because I can only watch the Mech from behind.

What I want is in fact a big LRM volley (or two in this case). I'm running around with 2x LRM20 and 2x LRM15 currently, but want to shoot two salvos instead of three.

Edited by Denolven, 02 September 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postk0sh, on 02 September 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I think he's asking how to make cloud of lrm's in one button. I do noticed when I was firing 2x 10 lrm's from stalker I see one "batch" and another one 1-2 seconds after so it seems like I fired 5 each and another 5 after 1-2 seconds and it will stay like that with bays open or closed. Bug or intended?

His 'batch' is limited by number of missile tubes. The lowest number of batches he can get is two batches, but he was seeing three. Unfortunately making a bigger batch means running into heat penalties.

#8 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure Stalker's missile bay doors open downward (since the energy points on the arms are at the top), so they shouldn't be visible from the 3rd person camera.

#9 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

That's a shame, Professor. I had hoped I'd found a use for 3PV given the "bomb bay doors" light is broken. Never mind. Nothing to see here.

If you want to fire in two volleys, assuming you are not in a STK-3H and you have the arm missile doors open, then you would need LRM20s in the arms (would fire in two salvos of 10) and a maximum of LRM-10s in the torso (would fire in two salvos 6, then 4). So you would get a salvo of 32, and then a salvo of 28. Unfortunately you would generate an amount of "bonus" heat equal to firing 4 LRM20s at the same time

(2x6) + (2x4) = 20 base heat
(6 x (0.18 x 2.8)) + (6 x (0.3 x 2.8)) = 3.024 + 5.04 = 8.064 extra heat
= 28 heat total

An STK-3H firing a 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM5 generates 14 heat.

#10 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postk0sh, on 02 September 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

I do noticed when I was firing 2x 10 lrm's from stalker I see one "batch" and another one 1-2 seconds after so it seems like I fired 5 each and another 5 after 1-2 seconds and it will stay like that with bays open or closed. Bug or intended?

If you mount an LRM10 in the side torso, that only has six tubes and no missile bay doors, so you will get two salvos, one of six missiles, and then the remaining four missiles. If you move the LRM10 to the 10-tube arm hardpoint with bay doors, then you get one salvo of 10 missiles which is slightly delayed if the doors are closed when you press fire. This is as intended and is not a bug.

#11 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostDalziel Hasek Davion, on 02 September 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

That's a shame, Professor. I had hoped I'd found a use for 3PV given the "bomb bay doors" light is broken. Never mind. Nothing to see here.

Does work for the Catapult though - I think that is the only mech with MBDs that it works on though...

Centurion... tiny doors - opens sideways
Stalker... medium sized doors - opens downwards
Catapult... Monster sized doors - opens upwards

... any other mechs with bay doors?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users