Can't You Just Macro The Gauss?

45 replies to this topic

#21 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Macro's get crazy, I'll admit that. And skill in crafting (or downloading them) shouldn't overcome skill at the game. However... you all do have to realize that, although there is lots of lostech, you are fighting in a 4 story, fusion powered, artificial automoton that moves bipedally using sophisticated timing relays for precise actuator movement and gyroscopic stabilization. I think some ******* can patch in a relay switch or timing control on the firing board with the simplest of tools.

#22 Mad Cow Jenkins

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostXeren KelDar, on 03 September 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

Speeds are closer in sync now than before the patch. There was a 800 m/s difference before, now it is 500 m/s.

just to put it into perspective 1 gauss, 1 ppc shot fired at the same time will arrive at 800m with a 0.1333333 second time difference.
In theory they could add 50-100 ms between each weapongroup and queue them up, which wouldn´t really be that noticeable but would make macros less usefull.

#23 Shakespeare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL USA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

you can sorta macro it - since the gauss doesn't fire (thank god) if you miss the charge window, you'd ideally want some way to avoid firing your PPCs too, to avoid the heat/possible friendly fire/giving away your position.
So, the macro would have to 'know' that if the button is held down for longer than [charge time + firing window], to NOT fire PPCs on release. Doable, but more complex than people make it out to be, and doesn't eliminate the charge delay or anything. it might actually be easier to just get used to rolling over those two buttons to 'alpha'.

either way, there's at least a delay on potshots for those of us who spend more time evading sniper fire than dishing it out.

#24 Caelroigh Blunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

Macros aren't the answer. The gauss rifle is completely worthless in it's present form. It's obvious the devs want to make the gauss rifle as unattractive as possible. A real shame and another step in the destruction of what was once a great game idea.

#25 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

It could be done, it seems like too much work for not enough gain though.

#26 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Have PGI stopped people from making new topics now in Patch feedback?
I can´t make a new topic here but i can make a new topic in other places.

Oh, and by the way the new firing mechanic for the Gauss Rifle is really bad and quite annoying making the gauss nearly useless.

#27 StealthAssassin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostDevils Advocate, on 03 September 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Also way less mech variants can equip dual Gauss, and the Cataphract almost doesn't even count because its arms are way low on his body and convergeance is bound to screw your Gauss rounds out of hitting their target at long distances.

His opinion will change when he realizes what Triple Gauss Ilya is capable of instantly killing with advanced zoom.

#28 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I've made a macro that plays for me. It's super good at giving me the illusion of being a skilled pilot.

Posted Image

#29 Raiden99

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I'm one who use the Gauss Rifle, I don't think the Gauss need to charge before I can shoot. It take a lot of time,time to reload and time to charge, beside I have to keep watch the indicator when i can shoot and also I have to keep watch my target in the same time. I really don't like the way that design to use the Gauss like this at all.

Edited by Raiden99, 05 September 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#30 Longblade

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

So, this whole topic is about how bad and unfair players are there, and about how they cannot play game without extra help from macros.
So for all you out there who whine and say "macros are neccesary":

Go play something else, people that have to macro a game to play it, should be encouraged to leave this game, and macro use should be stright out banned. You cannot count on fairness and sportmanship, it has to be regulated, see sports worldwide.

#31 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Or you could just be human and adapt to the way the gaame is designed and quit whining about it. Only people to blame are macro-using cheaters who try to circumvent the proper mechanics of the game cuz they are just too lazy to play the game the way it's meant to be played.

#32 BR0WN_H0RN3T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 701 posts
  • LocationElysium

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Or u can just use an AC20 instead.

#33 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

I just dropped the Gauss for an AC10, a bigger engine, and another heatsink. And the AC10 is far meaner to lights than the gauss was, with it's 2.5s cooldown.

#34 QuimMorius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

I use brainpower and finger precision... ;o)

#35 Mantazz

• PipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSW, Virginia.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

View PostCaine2112, on 05 September 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Or you could just be human and adapt to the way the gaame is designed and quit whining about it. Only people to blame are macro-using cheaters who try to circumvent the proper mechanics of the game cuz they are just too lazy to play the game the way it's meant to be played.

Not trolling, honest question here:
Do you actually believe that the current status of MWO = "The way it's meant to be played"? Or next month when they dumb down a few of your favorite weapon systems/features, then will it still be "The way it's meant to be played"?

Enough with nerfing every little whined about (supposed) advantage. Enough with tweaking this or that to appease the whiners. Each system is supposed to have it's own advantages and disadvantages, that's the point of having different systems. I am not looking forward to the day when MWO has 15 different weapons that are only distinguishable from each other by the pretty graphics and not by their utility or effectiveness in different situations. Please for the love of Pete, stop destroying the diversity in this game with "balancing tweaks" (thinly disguised appeasement of whiners). I am not saying you shouldn't listen to your community, far from it, seems to me that many here are feeling the same frustration as I with the constant changes that make a new meta king every other week by virtue of destroying the utility of last weeks favorite system...

TLDR: Quit changing the value and utility of systems in response to whining, give us cannon (or as close as you can get) ACs, PPCs, LRMs, and all the rest and let us work out effective strategies to defeat whichever tactic we are facing at that moment. Stop destroying tactics and add more options for the player to counter them instead of having them pre-countered by the game itself...

#36 Doomstryke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

I've said it before and like someone else said. If you want to fix people's alpa you gata make the projectile speeds different and a lot different. Right now PGI technically buffed the alpa of the ppc gauss builds because they made the firing speeds closer from to one another instead of further apart.

It used to be i believe ppc was 2000 and gauss was 1200. if you fired long range on moving target ppc's would hit gauss would sometimes miss

now its 2000 gauss and 1500 ppc. flip the values around but now they go closer to the same speeds. If you want a real fix make keep the ppc at 1500 but make gauss like 3500. If a mech is standing still alpha or chain fire won't make a difference. if the mech is walking you will have to chain your shots as the gauss round won't need you leading the target nearly as much as ppc.. This doesn't seem like a complicated thing.

#37 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Well, it would seem the fact that the heatnerf didn't hit some sniper builds (like my dual gauss+dual erppc firebrand) bothered some people at PGI, judging by this new Gauss nerf. Honestly pretty pleased by that nice projectile speed buff on the Gauss.

Definately going to make a macro though. I'm thinking a hold-to-fire along PPCs script, with corrective range increments for the projectile speed if I'm feeling not lazy, and just spreading the firing of all four weapons by about 1/10th of a second if I'm too lazy to make sure something will always hit.

#38 Maarve

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

If you need a macro to make gauss work now I pity you , but that's nothing new I pity a lot of the bottom feeders who grace this game .

#39 Maarve

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Im guessing the people crying about the nerf ones who cant use the audio que's to time there shots are the same ones who stood on ridge tops getting cored and crying about alpha strikes in the first place .

Edited by Maarvelous, 07 September 2013 - 02:56 AM.

#40 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

I don't NEED a macro to sync my shots. I just don't like silly gameplay changes that don't actually accomplish what they're trying to accomplish, and respond to them accordingly. Remember the 6AC2 builds when the Jager came out? People whined about the macro I was using... until everyone started using it and you needed one to run multii-ac2s competitively.

Just keep telling yourself you're a better player, Mr. Elitist, and I'll continue erasing your cockpit every chance I get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users