- - - - -

Looking For Builds

8 replies to this topic

#1 xxxRocketxxx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

I was hoping someone could link a website that lists the builds by performance so I can see how people are doing burst and sustained dps with what builds.

I have a misery that does 36 max, 8.87 sustained, and 150 damage in 10-13 seconds dependent on if you put three med lasers in addition to the build for occasional use. So I would also like to post that.

Edited by Dr Baja, 03 September 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

mechspecs.com is a community for compiling builds, but I'm not aware of any database or forum that attempts to "rate" builds or sort them by any criteria.

Different players will perform very differently in different builds, and a build that is cutting edge one week may be old news the next week, made obsolete or made OP by weapon buffs.

The Ultra AC5 buff made the UAC5 much more powerful, so suddenly any build with a UAC got a lot better. Does any website track builds with enough detail to follow these weekly changes, new mechs, etc? I don't think so. Raw numbers also do not always reflect the actual usefulness of a build because there are too many other factors.

Also competitive groups may have their own internal top tier lists, but that's going to depend on who built them and who's playing with them, and they probably won't be sharing.

#3 xxxRocketxxx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Mechspecs organizes by the random weapons people put on mechs. I was hoping for something performance based. It doesn't matter for me anymore though.

The gauss won't fire for me now. It was pretty devastating that my build was destroyed by a patch. I expect that will happen a bunch since it happened once. Not sure if I will get the farming simulator 2013 or try to find another build for this.

Edited by Dr Baja, 03 September 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#4 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

Firepower and DPS stats can be extremely misleading as many of the weapons have nuances in the way they are used that can have an in-game impact, but is hard to model with a single number. Just considering weapon range, for example. Firepower numbers and DPS do not take effective range into account and that will have a massive impact on in-game performance on many maps, and drags positioning and speed into any consideration of performance.

Performance is a function of build, map, pilot and enemy. I am finding it hard to understand why the change to the gauss rifle has upset you so much. I dropped a moment ago and tried a few matches with the new GR mechanics and they're fine - easy to adjust to and, in no way affected my ability to kill enemies or score damage.

So - you're right. If this change has disturbed you - Paul's post suggests he will be looking at other weapons and trying to make changes that create niche behaviours/roles for each weapon type. Some - like the Gauss Rifle - will be very specific in function - others may end up more generic. You will see this again as the game continue to develop.

mechspecs.com is the right forum to post your build and have it rated by others. Use Smurfy's mechlab to create the build and you can see DPS, firepower, heat efficiency and all of the build stats you seem to enjoy.

However - if farming simulator 2013 is what you're after. I think it's quite good - particularly the 10-player online mode. I would have preferred a wider range of animals, however. But it's very peaceful and the community is very supportive (which is useful - because something is shares with MWO is that it's tricky for new-comers to get going and find their way around).

#5 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

The problem you're going to run into is that almost any build is going to largely depend on the pilot. Some people can make bizarre things work, and even vanilla utilitarian builds depend largely on the pilot as to whether they can work at a high level (e.g. the 8xML HBK-4P). So even if there was a site that compiled all the data for what builds are being used and their comparative success--I would not covet the person who had to write the subroutine to collate all that--it would generate such niche results that the only ones that would really stand out would be what has been called the "flavor of the week" builds (like, the 2xERPPC + Gauss build that reigned supreme until the latest patch).

Probably not that helpful, but it really comes down to just looking at the guides section, tweaking things on smurfy, and just trying things out.

#6 xxxRocketxxx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

I didn't see any mention of websites that let you sort by dps.

#7 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

because DPS is a meaningless stat?

Seriously - you can throw smurfy's dps calculator right out the window: it INCREASES your sustained dps when you take out a weapon, and replace it with nothing. The same can be achieved in the field, by simply not firing the weapon.

Also, damage dealt to something that doesn't destroy the mech is largely meaningless. Getting a good hit on the head is almost like a miss, because head hits are rather difficult to reproduce. Damaging an arm, or a side torso, when the enemy dies to CT coring is like doing no damage at all.

All that damage only becomes meaningful, when you disarm your opponent making it very difficult foor hm to defend himself, or you leg him making him an easy target. Targetting XL engines is also good.

The new GR is actually a better weapon, because it lets you cancel your shots if they would miss (this is largely dependent on skill), but the "ultimate loadout" of 2 PPC+gauss now has two distinct weaknesses - low damage up close, or high heat, forcing you to accept that, or look for alternatives.

For example gauss+ERPPC+LL or LPL. Not the "stay hidden and damage them bots" weapon, but still largely effective.

Or switch to pure damage weapons, like 2xUAC5+PPC combo - weighs about the same as 2PPC+gauss,and works equally well.

#8 xxxRocketxxx

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

View Postqki, on 05 September 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

because DPS is a meaningless stat?

Seriously - you can throw smurfy's dps calculator right out the window: it INCREASES your sustained dps when you take out a weapon, and replace it with nothing. The same can be achieved in the field, by simply not firing the weapon.

DPS is not a useful stat for everyone, for sure. Obviously not for you, as you stated.

It is good for me though. I consider it important to know how much damage weapons can perform in which situation. So I put in the weapons that I want to know the dps of, like for a given range, then I swap them out for guns I want to use in another range.

If there are some overlapping ranges, I check the dps of those guns to judge if that is a distance to maintain or avoid.

This method is often called superposition in mathematics. So while it paints a bad picture if you put in guns willy nilly, you can extract useful dps data in snapshots.

Or at least I can extract useful dps info by taking snapshots of the weaponry dps in different configs.

Edited by Dr Baja, 06 October 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostDr Baja, on 03 September 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

The gauss won't fire for me now. It was pretty devastating that my build was destroyed by a patch.

Did you read the patch notes for the patch that "killed" your Gauss build? The Gauss Rifle was recently changed to require charging before you can fire. You cannot simply tap the fire button like other weapons. I hope somebody in-game has explained this to you by now.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users