Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Oh god... don't touch the UAC's :)

#23 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

After a few trips out with the gauss, I think this is a mechanic that needed to be in the game. I don't know if it needed to be on the gauss or the PPC, but whatever the case, it adds some good variety to shot mechanics and it does effectively deal with some of the high, pinpoint sniper alphas.

#24 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I sincerely appreciate the candidness and timeliness.

Paul. Please do this more. That's all anyone asks deep down.

#25 Revorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Taking a look for the Ligths sounds good to me.

In many Matches i see Ligths scoring 800 dmg and 3-4 Kills, Uhmm... Maybe they are verry talentet and skillfully Pilots, but it looks somewhat wrong to me. Imho.

#26 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

Gauss:
Lower the CD in proportion to the ghost-CD (charge up).

UAC:
The UAC already fills the unique role its intended to by your own post Paul. Its a high risk-high reward close range weapon. It requires great skill to not get killed with if you cook them the wrong time in the wrong place.

Edited by Chavette, 03 September 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#27 TheSteelRhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 03 September 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

The charge mechanic added to the gauss rifle did absolutely nothing. All I have to do is lift my middle finger while pressing my index finger. It's a simple finger rolling action. My ERPPCs and Gauss are still firing together, just as they always have. Basically, it did NOTHING to uncouple them aside from make me prep for targets by a fraction of a second instead of twitch shooting with them. If anything it helped me take a split second the get my lead right for targets at range, making my 2xERPPC / Gauss build even more accurate. It didn't even affect my jump sniping. Charge on the way up, let off the jump jets, then the gauss trigger.

Foolish and ineffective change, same as always. At least your track record is untarnished in that respect...

Perhaps you are just a better player than some? So if the number of jump snipers on the field is reduced due to a timing change on gauss, ppc/erppc heat, and ppc min range is it still ineffective?

Try thinking about overall impact and not just within your personal bubble and maybe there will be an overall difference that you see in drop. But with your signature I doubt you are unbiased in your opinion. Just sayin'

Then again I never thought jump snipers were particularly effective. It was the sheer number of folks in atlases, highlanders (jump jets or no) and all the armour. But weight limits will deal with that. Jump snipers are easy kills when you have a good squad.

#28 Tsunamisan

• 1,568 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Allot of people i talked to think the Gauss should of remained the same and the PPC's should be the weapon that needs the charge up to fire.

I was thinking allong th lines of buff th Gauss HP leave it as it is and make it if the gauss is crit it explodes causing an emp effect shutting the mech down temporarily afterall what it is is just big charged magnet.

#29 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Paul's post espouses the correct attitude and hints at following a sensible methodology. Could this be the start of something good? We'll have to see how long it takes to get that new info on the UAC/5 and just what that information is.

I really do want to have hope for MWO. The recent patch was, confusingly, not bad. We still have a lot of bad, unwarranted, unwanted mechanics but it was a step in the right direction. The nose dive has halted. Are the engines on again, or did somebody just yank the stick back finally?

#30 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Good enough for me.

Bringing skill back to the game is much appreciated.

#31 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

I've had people in the MGA say they really like the changes to the Gauss. I still personally think PPCs would have been a better choice for a charge up weapon though.

#32 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostNiko Snow, on 03 September 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Hello everyone,

We are eager to see your feedback on the Dev Team's latest Command Chair update. Thanks!

Spoiler

Why not just add a min range to the guass like the playerbase has been requesting since ohhh I don't know...CLOSED/EARLY OPEN BETA!?!?

#33 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostTexAss, on 03 September 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

please tell us, when is the change for the pulse lasers coming? You said you are tweaking those. At the moment they really are nowhere...

My personal opinion: they should fire pulses constantly as long as you hold the trigger, like a machine gun. This would make them differ enough from the typical laser weapons. Basically no cooldown but same HPS and DPS as before.

Make the wubwubwubwubwub viable again please

Yes please!

Edited by Fut, 03 September 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#34 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I've got to say, nice job on this patch. Having played it, and being the sort of player I am, I was able to play around the Gauss change, while noticing nuanced changes that it caused to how I was playing:

Gauss is faster, and thus almost always lands. However, the fact it takes a charge made me miss several opportunities for a hit while I was jump sniping. I had to pay closer attention to when I charged and when I jumped so that my descent would line up with my capability to fire (and thus not fly wide due to shake).

The heat on ERPPCs has made my 12 DHS mastered Cataphract 3D be able to only fire the duo of ERPPCs twice before nearly overheating. This is in contrast to last patch where I could pull off 3 firings of the two ERPPCs.

These changes have caused my ERPPCs and Gauss to swap as main weapons. I fire the Gauss rifle more often because it has a better chance of hitting, and the ERPPC less often. Thanks to the slower PPC bolts, I have a harder time jump sniping with them. Thanks to the Gauss charge up, its also harder to jump snipe. So over all, the Gauss is a stronger weapon for snipers if you time it properly or aren't jump sniping, but you have to pay much more attention with it. The ERPPCs are downright worse for sniping in general, but only by a small margin.

What really changes is the brawling. The Gauss is still fine at close range, but you must time your shots properly. The ERPPC is still fine as well, however, the large heat generated means I can't fire nearly as often as a could. These changes make me more vulnerable close up, but only marginally so.

Overall, snipers are not dead as some claim. In fact, I find them just as strong as before, but they are more vulnerable to cover based tactics, more vulnerable to close range combat, and take more effort and attention to play.

So in this case, I think the changes were all good. They don't kill sniping, as I said, but they make it harder, require more effort, and overall balance it more. That's a goal I think a lot of folks can get behind.

Edited by Orzorn, 03 September 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#35 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm fine with the Gauss rifle change... except that unless you're really at long range, you're getting the short hand of the stick vs other ballistics. You need to have 2 to make the charge worthwhile, because firing one + managing the charge + cooldown is not very rewarding.

#36 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

I like the changes to the gauss, but please increase the sound of the gauss charging or give me a slider to raise the sound myself. I cannot hear the charging sound unless I crank up the noise level of the game overall, and once I did that, I couldn't hear any of my team members on teamspeak over the game sounds. The sound should be at least as loud as the PCC recharge noise, and personally, I'd prefer if it were even louder at the end.

Great job with the last patch. The game is playing totally different, and in a good way.

#37 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 457 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Wow, a lot of PGI {Noble MechWarriors} with 0 loyalty to the games history/cannon. Also a lot with no skill vs snipers, so they are happy to qq and then rejoice when a necessary mode of battlefield warfare is destroyed. Sniper mechs including the 9M and 8Q are now pretty much DOA on the battlefield. The guass is at the moment unusable against lights in close and worthless for targets moving in and out of cover. OH, wait guys, I need to charge my gauss rifle(s). GENIUS! Wait, what? A capacitor that doesn't hold its charge? Doubly genius! I think I'll take a break. I'm out for now. No more $ till' things look better. If ever they do. Right now I feel PGI has thrown us old school fans of MechWarrior under the bus.

#38 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

BTW Mouse 3 for Zoom doesnt work again.

#39 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

I am not a fan of the gauss desync process where it loses it charge, I would just rather the MOTHER Blew up if you inisist on holding down the button.. now THAT would be funny!

The sound needs changing, sounds very annoying.
I can now use the gauss better in brawling now then sniping.. Guess I live in back to front world?

#40 Morderian

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

well the Gauss mechani is in my opinion Useless:

1: macros already knock it out which makes the whole purpose of desyncing the Gauss and PPC to nothing

2: you can no longer bind it to keyboard thx to hold to charge because some keyboards dont like pressing mor then 3 buttons the same time

3: you can no longer shot light mechs and people who know how to use cover due to charge up becaue they will be in cover BEFORE your Gauss is loaded if you use the Gauss in an non Alphapinpoint build but rather as an Support weapon to you Brawling equip

4: if you cant use the gauss for alpha Pinpoint longrange there is still the AC10 which give the same for a little bit less damage but more heatsinks or more speed

5. on most fast mechs like the Dragon it ist useless because moving at 100kmh and holding an wepon for charging is annoying and making the Gauss worthless for such makes so the Gauss is still the best for high alpha pinpoint and not an longrange weapon for mechs that can not carry an PPC or other highheat Longrange weapons due to them beign to hot so dening them weapons which gave them an viability over heavyer mechs

6: the Changes are making Dualgauss build more often now so its just an change of places fromm PPC/Gauss to dual Gauss is happening if people dont want to use makros which have now disadvantage cause the gauss chare there Charge so there is no diffrence in aiming for slow heavy mechs

EDIT: 7: there is also the other Players that are now more in your way now cause in that short time you need to charge they tend to run before your guns when you aimed at an enemy often resulting in the Charging beign wasted without the charging you cold aim that you shot at an enemy hit him and no teammate was in the risk of beign Shot in the Back now you aim Charge and always get someone jumping in your way or doing something that makes all your aiming for nothing pretty anoying and getting somewhere where your "Allys" are not in your Way is also not an option Cuase when you can shot your enemy he can shoot you tonn and well an Mech on an lonely hill is an really easy Target especially if the other Guy is using an weapon that has no Charging time and enough Range to put holes in your mech the he will hit you and be in Cover before you can fire

how can we make an better approach on the Gauss then this new mechanic: dont allow the Player to fire the Gauss for 0,5 seconds if an PPC or another Gauss was fired in that time, if the Player alphas 2 Gauss or PPC and Gauss then the Gauss fires 0,5 seconds later

Edited by Morderian, 03 September 2013 - 04:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users