Film Grain / Depth Of Field / Field Of View

83 replies to this topic

Poll: Interest Meter (345 member(s) have cast votes)

Film Grain

1. I am in favor of complete removal of Film Grain. (138 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I am in favor of optional removal of Film Grain. (207 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Depth of Field

1. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field off completely. (156 votes [45.22%])

Percentage of vote: 45.22%

2. I am in favor the option to turn Depth Of Field seperately to it's lowest allowed setting. (189 votes [54.78%])

Percentage of vote: 54.78%

Field Of View

1. I just want a Field Of View slider in the options menu. (223 votes [64.64%])

Percentage of vote: 64.64%

2. I would like to set the Field Of View per individual Mech Chassis. (122 votes [35.36%])

Percentage of vote: 35.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

It was asked for during beta and it was ignored. These devs clearly don't give a rat's *** about what the community requests.

If anything, here is a major reason they should remove film grain:

COLOR BLIND PLAYERS GET F***D BY FILM GRAIN.

In green-intensive maps makes the entire background scenery become like staring into a kaleidoscope while tripping on acid. On black/brown/night intensive maps the sky blurs with the entire background terrain.

Seriously PGI, would it break your bank to consult a g-damned optometrist on this subject?

#62 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

The thing that is terrible is that it's pretty trivial to just turn off this effect.. and since EVERYONE who plays the game hates it, I cannot understand why they haven't turned it off over the past two years, since it was pretty much instantly cited as garbage.

For a while, complaints about it died down, because we just removed it via essentially hacking the game.. but then they made it so you couldn't do that, and didn't give us a way to turn it off...

It's like they know everyone hates it, but they want to force it on everyone anyway.

#63 Dr Herbert West

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostRoland, on 20 January 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

It's like they know everyone hates it, but they want to force it on everyone anyway.

Isn't that, like, the summary of the recent history of this game?

CBT stock trial mech grind system

Coolant flush

Nerfed SRMs

Knockdowns removed

Ghost Heat

3PV

Gauss charge

The clans with $210 for a Twolf, $500 gold mechs, and no CW

Seriously, that statement covers so much that has happened within the last year or so of the game's development.

#64 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

I don't know that they want to force it on us per se. I think it's more likely they don't care and/or want to do anything about it at this time.

They weren't specifically targeting this in the patch that removed it, but instead trying to make the client more secure as a whole. Until DX11 is implemented I don't think they'll entertain any ideas pertaining to new graphical options.

#65 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

So with window glass effects in place can we remove the filmgrain now?

#66 Captain Katawa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

This is absolutely necessary.
Moreover, removal of these "features" will also increace FPS amd make it look better

#67 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

The thing that is terrible is that it's pretty trivial to just turn off this effect.. and since EVERYONE who plays the game hates it, I cannot understand why they haven't turned it off over the past two years, since it was pretty much instantly cited as garbage.

For a while, complaints about it died down, because we just removed it via essentially hacking the game.. but then they made it so you couldn't do that, and didn't give us a way to turn it off...

No, everyone doesn't hate it. Please stop saying that. There's absolutely no reason not to have an option to turn it off, but you aren't actually in a position to assert even whether a majority of players hate it.

#68 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

The thing that is terrible is that it's pretty trivial to just turn off this effect.. and since EVERYONE who plays the game hates it, I cannot understand why they haven't turned it off over the past two years, since it was pretty much instantly cited as garbage
If you think that a poll that only allows support for the OP's demands, then sure, I can see where this belief might stem from. :unsure:

#69 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Could care less. But add an Abstain please, as I don't care about FOV.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 24 January 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#70 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 22 January 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

No, everyone doesn't hate it. Please stop saying that. There's absolutely no reason not to have an option to turn it off, but you aren't actually in a position to assert even whether a majority of players hate it.

I'm pretty certain of my belief that a majority of players hate the film grain effect.

Honestly, why would anyone WANT it?

It adds literally nothing to the game.. it doesn't even add immersion, since why would your EYES have a film grain applied to them? You're not watching a movie of yourself piloting a mech.

Things like the glass effect.. fine. I hate it, but some folks obviously like it.

But the film grain? Who likes this? Why do they like it?

#71 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:20 PM

Film grain is needlessly blurry. I'm here to shoot things with big stompy robots... I don't need a vision "impairment" that doesn't actually have a place in this game (there's literally no logical reason, since a MW game is not a movie).

#72 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

I see no difference in the OPs pic.

#73 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostSug, on 24 January 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

I see no difference in the OPs pic.

It's hard to tell with that screenshot. I remember certain maps at one time not having film grain, like Terra Therma, and it was glorious. Essentially, it's like an environmental "blur" like effect that affects your overall vision.

On the other hand, the OP's pic is terrible.

Edited by Deathlike, 24 January 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#74 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 January 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

On the other hand, the OP's pic is terrible.

Well, it's not my pic...

There, I've changed to quoting Funky Bacon's post instead.

#75 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

I dunno if it's the new graphic setting reset or not, but I can't seem to get rid of blurry vision mode, aka: "Depth of Field", no matter what I change my graphic settings to. Like film grain and cockpit glass isn't enough already. Fu** this game and it's forced on settings! Seriously! it's not cool, guys.
My own vision is blurry enough as it is, I don't need games to force it on me and remind me of my bad vision as well!

#76 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

There are many games that have the option to turn this off, why don't we on this game. If this is a setting it's the first thing I turn off. +1

#77 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:50 AM

You know, one thing I really hate with the DoF, is that it makes EVERYTHING that is rendered against far away backgrounds or sky, blurry as heck. Lasers, missiles... everything looks like glowing smudge.

Are they firing from behind the rock... or in front of it... I dunno!! Maybe through it???
Posted Image

Oh, looks like Dropships flying off into orbit. No wait, those are just some missiles 300 meters away. Why can't I get a focus on them?
Posted Image

fear our wiggly wobbely blocky lazooorss!
Posted Image

Yeah, DoF makes everything look like ugly smudge. Okay, if they where rendered at 1000+ meters, I could understand it, but these are at around 500 meters or closer.

#78 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I can understand the argument for keeping everyone's visuals pretty standardized, as MWO markets itself as a simulation. However, if PGI wants blur effects to be standard for everyone, it should be motion blur and not depth of field.

#79 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Apparently a Film Grain (and Cockpit Glass) toggle is coming April 29th.

"user.cfg" is either now, or also on April 29th going to take precedent, so we should be able to tweak Depth of Field separately there.

As for a possible FoV slider...

View PostMatthew Craig, on 12 April 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

FoV is tweak able via user.cfg cl_fov = <value> note that values are clamped though I think between 45-90 anything larger than 90 we considered to be cheating. And yes there is potential for a slider in the future.

So it seems this thread has lived on long enough. To quote myself from another post... "I'll soon be a man without a sig... :) "

Edited by Grey Ghost, 19 April 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#80 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

Apparently the Film Grain & Depth of Field user.cfg tweaks we got no longer work. :angry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users