Holding Gauss Charge

143 replies to this topic

Poll: Make Gauss Charge Indefinate (596 member(s) have cast votes)

SHould you be able to hold Gauss charge indefinately?

1. Yes, at no penalty. (48 votes [8.05%])

Percentage of vote: 8.05%

2. Yes, with heat for sustaining charge. (1 or 2 heat per second.) (76 votes [12.75%])

Percentage of vote: 12.75%

3. Yes, with heat scaling up with length of time the charge is held (E.g., 1 heat for first second, 2 for second, 3.5 for third, etc.) (44 votes [7.38%])

Percentage of vote: 7.38%

4. Yes, but with some other penalty. (11 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

5. No, the way it is now is better. (122 votes [20.47%])

Percentage of vote: 20.47%

6. No, but the charge is currently too brief. (90 votes [15.10%])

Percentage of vote: 15.10%

7. No, I want the old Gauss back. (205 votes [34.40%])

Percentage of vote: 34.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostSilverfang22, on 04 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I like the ability to cancel shots, having that "small" window to fire it means if an opportunity goes away I can cancel it and save the ammo. I'd rather not have to hold down the mouse button until I find something to shoot at.

Plus that would make firing Gauss with PPCs easy. Not that it's easy to fire multiple PPCs due to heat now.

This.

My bigger concern is that snipers have a LOT to juggle. you need a second button for advanced zoom. you need to deal with gauss charge/recycle. Jumpjet shake.

Don't get me wrong - I am glad sniping is tough and a challenge. a single gauss feels right now, and a rethink is needed in mech builds - for the better certainly.

but something simple like making advanced zoom the 3rd "z" press or the replacement for the second level zoom would be very nice.

#22 Dr Smit

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

give us old gaus or make charge longer without CD beforу next charge start

Edited by Dr Smit, 10 September 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#23 Devils Advocate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

I think the short window is fine as long as they make it more obvious what's going on with sound effects. Maybe let us extend it with a super cheap module or something. Being able to hold it for too long would almost entirely defeat the purpose of making it have the charge to begin with since you'd just keep charging it up indefinitely waiting for somebody to come into view.

#24 Kell Commander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 537 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostSilverfang22, on 04 September 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

I like the ability to cancel shots, having that "small" window to fire it means if an opportunity goes away I can cancel it and save the ammo. I'd rather not have to hold down the mouse button until I find something to shoot at.

Plus that would make firing Gauss with PPCs easy. Not that it's easy to fire multiple PPCs due to heat now.

I agree with this 100%.

#25 Nekomimi2

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

This whole discussion is not needed. Gauss charging will be removed. PGI has no choice but to remove it because hackers have figured out how to sync the Gauss and PPC again. Eliminating most of the reason PGI did it in the first place. PGI fail.

#26 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

OK PGI I accept the charging penalty, it could be deemed as valid for this sort of weapon, however I would like something really important back in return; Range! The Gauss used to be the weapon of choice for any self respecting Sniper. At one time we had three versions of it, Light, Normal and Heavy. I propose that you give us the most important of these, at least as far as the Snipers are concerned, and that is the Light Gauss. In Mech 4 the Light Gauss had a Range of 1200m and a Damage output per round of 12; very useful.

#27 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

I think the current charge mechanic is well worth it for the increased projectile velocity.

Letting people hold shots indefinitely would just make it a better jump-sniping tool and makes it easier to synch with PPCs.

#28 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Poll kind of speaks for itself... I want the DPS of the old gauss back.

#29 Avarice1of2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 194 posts
  • LocationSitting in a the cockpit of a mech whose pilot is no longer with us with Bitching Betty telling me my loadout is not usable.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

I want the old gauss back. Why, because I was a damn good sniper, a gauss master, hell if a light closed in I would punish them. My cataphract's back up weapons are two medium lasers, and let me tell you they don't do {Scrap} against 2 or more lights up close. So now I'm having to tie up a team mate to watch over me should a light sneak up on me, when I used to beable to defend myself. Heck I can not even shot poptarts down, cause I can not get the timing on my twin gauss cataphract correct due to the charge.

#30 Arguss10

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationPerth , Western Australia

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

I voted for the old gauss back also, as Russ introduced 3rd Person view to help potential new comers ( When no one really wanted it ) , then introduce a gauss mechanism a couple of months later to make it hard for them ?. They ( PGI ), are potentially angering both experienced and newbies doing things like this , which is a shame, as it is a good game.

#31 B E E L Z E B U B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTopsy Turvy Town

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

i like the change with the gauss. i use a jagermech with 2 gauss guns. i like needing good skills inorder to use this gun because its very strong and the ammo does not expload giving it an edge over the ac20. plus range is much bigger.

i consider the gauss - BALANCED.

#32 B E E L Z E B U B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTopsy Turvy Town

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

74 people like to play cheese. whats wrong? cant handle a little charge. get some skills people! ^^

#33 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

Hmmm, I do enjoy how the GR is used today. I like GR the way it is NOW, compared to THEN!

I will say though, I would like to see the charge on GR hold 0.5 sec longer.
Right now once you charge GR, it holds charge for what... 1.25 secs? I think 1.75secs would be great.

#34 Chronicblazed

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think increasing the volume for the sound fx for the gauss might help when your brawling as its hard to hear when your getting pounded. Also ambeient cockpit lighting might help. green glow when it is ready to use. A yellow glow while it is charging. flashing red when its ready to fire, and solid red when its in cool down.

#35 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

Logic time.

So the Gauss explodes and causes catastrophic damage when it does. The Gauss relies on a capacitor to fire it's shot. A capacitor has to be charged. Now, listen carefully about how to enhance the Gauss without making it OP:
  • Toggle option for auto-charging: The Gauss rifle can auto charge, manually charge (and de-charge), and manually charge/lock/unlock the charge.
  • Exploding capacitor: If the capacitor is charged, then it should explode when destroyed. Otherwise the weapon has no reason to blow up.

#36 Dr Roshima

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

The Gauss is perfect now. Stop whinning.

#37 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

I had to vote for the old Gauss for only one reason -

Tremors cause bad aiming on something that needs to be charged with a very limited hold time.

#38 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

I think you should still have to charge it to fire, but you should be able to hold the charge longer. I don't think the charge should be held indefinitely, but it's too short the way it is now. Somewhere around 2-5 seconds would be good.

Also, the gauss rifle should only explode while the charge is being held. The massive charge being held in the capacitors is what cases a gauss rifle to explode. If there is no charge in the weapon until just before you fire it, then it's stupid that it's still able to explode.

#39 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:24 AM

I just need them to add a simple, sharp "BEEP" when charged, and "BOOP" when discharged that can be discerned in the middle of battle/taking AC2/LRM5's.

--billyM

#40 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users