Calling All Qkd Pros

8 replies to this topic

#1 KapnKrump

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

I am torn between two 5k builds and CANNOT for the life of me decide which one works better overall.

Each are very similar in design and truthfully have evolved from each other.

Both with their pro's and con's I've come to decide which build the community thinks is a better fighter on the battlefield.

Standard Lasers - QKD-5K
Alpha - 38
Heat - 40%
Time On Target - 1.00 Second
Speed - 101 KPH (Tweaked)

Pulse Lasers - QKD-5K
Alpha - 33
Heat - 35%
Time on Target - 0.60 Seconds
Speed - 98 KPH (Tweaked)

I currently have a 2.5 K/D with my 5K bouncing back and forth between these two set ups but I'm ready to settle down for one and really hone my skills..

So take a look and give me opinions.

TL;DR: Discuss!

Edited by KapnKrump, 05 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Symbiodinium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm not a QKD expert, but I would consider splitting the difference and pairing large lasers with 4 med pulse lasers while dropping 2 JJs for 2 heat sinks. That way you have some range with the large lasers and a good pinpoint attack with the med pulses, even against light mechs. QKD-5K

Edit: Playing around a little more, depending on your heat levels it might be worth it to drop the engine to a 320XL and shave enough leg armor (down to 40/56) so you can add 2 more DHS.

Edited by Symbiodinium, 05 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#3 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

I don't know if you would accept it, but I would advise you to use this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...461418df9fae37a

Both of your builds have serious weaknesses, these are:
1) Too few heatsinks
2) Bad armor distribution
3) Wasted crit spaces (2nd build)

#4 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I used both versions quite a bit when I was playing quickdraws, I tend to lean towards standard lasers more due to the added range though I ripped a firebrand in half with the pulse version before (he paid dearly for his XL)

I was running a build thread but its seriously out of date as I lost interest in the chassy still might have some points worth reading http://mwomercs.com/...kderps-for-you/

Any questions i'll try to dig around in my terribad memory for hopefully helpful answers.

#5 KapnKrump

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 05 September 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

I don't know if you would accept it, but I would advise you to use this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...461418df9fae37a

Both of your builds have serious weaknesses, these are:
1) Too few heatsinks
2) Bad armor distribution
3) Wasted crit spaces (2nd build)

1. 17 and 15 DHS are too few? This seems odd considering so many assaults/ballistics only rock the minimum 10.
2. Beings 2 points shy of max armor is poor distribution? Unless you mean Front/back Ratio. In that case I use a more frontal armor load In-game these are just smurfys stock armor distribution from the "max armor" button
3. Elaborate?

My normal armor Front/Back is much closer to what you linked. Although I find even with max leg armor I seem to be legged more often than anything else. This may be from torso twisting or qkd's having oversized upper legs.

#6 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Ofc. I can explain: It's too few heatsinks, because you are running only lasers (aka "Laserboat"). To maximize your damage you need to stack as many as virtually possible, i.e. in your case balance speed+heatsinks as good as you can. If you compare yourself with assault laserboats such as Stalker or Awesome, these run 20+ DHS with their (SRMs+) Lasers, e.g. STK-3F with 4 LL and 24 DHS or 3PPC-AWS with 22 DHS. So the 15 you were running are extremely meager causing you to frequently slow your rate of fire. It's not like 17, 18, 19 will completey nullify it, but it will guarantee you a higher DPS over time.

If you find yourself legged so frequently you can strip from the arms and rearrange to the legs. You probably lose lots of leg armor while jumping. You can also sack a JJ to maximize the armor, I just don't know what your habits/needs in your playstyle are (hence mine is just a suggestion).

Assaults only use the minimum heatsinks, when they use ballistics or LRMs, because these only generate comparatively small amounts of heat.

The only thing I can guarantee you, is that with higher front armor and more heatsinks your score will be higher. I don't think you will notice if you're running 96kph or 98kph. I would start with an engine rating that is a multiple of 25 and only as a last optimization step (and after many in-game tests) consider as a last resort a weird engine rating like 330 or 340.

Edited by Autobot9000, 05 September 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#7 KapnKrump

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 05 September 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Ofc. I can explain: It's too few heatsinks, because you are running only lasers (aka "Laserboat"). To maximize your damage you need to stack as many as virtually possible, i.e. in your case balance speed+heatsinks as good as you can. If you compare yourself with assault laserboats such as Stalker or Awesome, these run 20+ DHS with their (SRMs+) Lasers, e.g. STK-3F with 4 LL and 24 DHS or 3PPC-AWS with 22 DHS. So the 15 you were running are extremely meager causing you to frequently slow your rate of fire. It's not like 17, 18, 19 will completey nullify it, but it will guarantee you a higher DPS over time.

How would you rearrange this to use pulse lasers over the 6 boat?

My attempt: QKD-5K

I really enjoy having pulses for obvious reasons and have found that with the 38 damage alpha the target usually moves or does something to spread what would be the last 5 or 6 damage of the 'beam' to another area on the mech?

Do you think using the pulses is worth the sacrifice in heatsinks/damage? Even though mathematically 2 Large pulse lasers are more effecient than 4 Medium standard lasers

Edited by KapnKrump, 05 September 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#8 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yeah in that last build I would change the MPLs to standard medium lasers for three reasons:

1) The "wub wub wub" of LPLs is probably the most fun / psychologically benefitting effect you're going for
2) MLs and LPLs have almost matching ranges, where MPLs simply don't.
3) MLs are more efficient than MPLs

I would then invest into 2 more heat sinks or 2 more MLs or 2 JJs, depending on whether you think you're more often constantly brawling or more alpha striking or find, that jumping is vital to your mech.

#9 KapnKrump

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Wanted to follow up with this thread and show the build I'm currently running and feel very comfortable in..

QKD-5K

Cheers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users