Peefsmash's Light Video Guide For The Jr7-F, Jr7-D, Rvn-3L And Cda-3M (Aimed At Upper-Mid/high Level Players Who Want To Continue To Improve)

89 replies to this topic

#41 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postohtochooseaname, on 19 September 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

In a light or fast medium, it stops and starts much, much faster than throttle decay or even holding down the button does.

False. Your way is no faster. Throttle decay has 3 modes. 100% aka max throttle (pressing w), 0% aka hard brake (letting off of w), and -100% aka inverted throttle. There are no imbetweens on throttle decay, except manual tapping or feathering of the throttle which amounts to bouncing between 100% and 0%. By pressing down on W, you are engaging max throttle (check the little green arrow that points somewhere on your speed bar). When you let go of W, you are engaging hard brake aka setting the little green arrow to 0% instantly. There is no faster way to do it, including your way. Your way is just and overly complicated and clunky version of throttle decay.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 19 September 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#42 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 19 September 2013 - 02:15 PM, said:

False. Your way is no faster. Throttle decay has 3 modes. 100% aka max throttle (pressing w), 0% aka hard brake (letting off of w), and -100% aka inverted throttle. There are no imbetweens on throttle decay, except manual tapping or feathering of the throttle which amounts to bouncing between 100% and 0%. By pressing down on W, you are engaging max throttle (check the little green arrow that points somewhere on your speed bar). When you let go of W, you are engaging hard brake aka setting the little green arrow to 0% instantly. There is no faster way to do it, including your way. Your way is just and overly complicated and clunky version of throttle decay.

I'll have to check it out again. I found it fairly annoying when trying it before, mostly because I find that trying to feather it at mid-speeds is obnoxious. I use less than max speed frequently depending on the circumstances.

#43 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Postohtochooseaname, on 19 September 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'll have to check it out again. I found it fairly annoying when trying it before, mostly because I find that trying to feather it at mid-speeds is obnoxious. I use less than max speed frequently depending on the circumstances.

Go ahead and check it out. The only point to be made here is that not everyone finds the feathering natrual, but keep in mind the goal isn't to maintain an exact speed, but to stay behind something. I don't even really feather, I just press for a second, then release for a second, or press for half a second release for half a second, or press for 2 seconds release for a second, whatever I have to do. Sometimes I pulse it more quickly. The key is that you don't have to maintain a smooth speed behind someone, in fact, that isn't typically optimal. If someone is turning and I'm trying to stay behind, I will run really quickly then stop, shoot (during that throttle release time), then run really quickly again to keep myself out of his FOV. I will only do this kind of thing if I am fighting an isolated heavy/assault. Trying to stick behind someone during a full-out brawl is total suicide because you are moving way too slow and will just get 1-shotted.

#44 RunGunn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

Do you have a build list for the JR7-F(C) that you would be willing to share? I reconstructed everything else from the vid you posted, but couldn't get the armor to work...

#45 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostRunGunn, on 20 September 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Do you have a build list for the JR7-F© that you would be willing to share? I reconstructed everything else from the vid you posted, but couldn't get the armor to work...

Make sure, in the upgrades tab when you're changing your mech loadout, that you have endo-steel and double heatsinks (but not ferro-fibrous for his build).

#46 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Do you 12 man?

#47 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostSyllogy, on 20 September 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Do you 12 man?

I 12 man every day. Last night I RHoDed then 12 manned for 3 hours. You can stop responding to every one of my posts with something like that.

View PostRunGunn, on 20 September 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Do you have a build list for the JR7-F© that you would be willing to share? I reconstructed everything else from the vid you posted, but couldn't get the armor to work...

Strip head armor down to 5, and strip side torso and arm armor as necessary. On the first page I explained my exact armor.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 20 September 2013 - 09:17 AM.

#48 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 20 September 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

I 12 man every day. Last night I RHoDed then 12 manned for 3 hours. You can stop responding to every one of my posts with something like that.

Really? When was the last time that DV8 fielded a full 12man team?

#49 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Nice vid, Peef. I'm amused at the start with your 'Not completely sober' statement and your location being IUB...considering we're technically a 'dry' campus. Makes me grin every time ;)

#50 Drehl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

nice thread.
watched some parts time of the vid.
tactic wise there wasn't anything new for me. nevertheless nice light footage. I didn't expect you to play THAT defensive (much more than myself).

the mechlab part was far more usefull for me and caused me to do some minor tweaks to my jenner (armor and HS distribution).

#51 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Happens fairly often and I am not even on that much, although we do not always find games. On that note though I spent over an hour earlier searching without managing to find a single game in 4mans so meh.

Video is worth watching if you are new, good general tips. Explains what needs to be explained.

On the throttle decay I prefer to not use it as I adjust and leave my speed adjusted for a large number of maneuvering reasons and I am skilled enough at pressing x that I can do it at the same time as i let go of my W(although I do not really hold it much as I am lazy) so it does not give me a speed increase. It helps that I use left handed mouse though for ease of access on the keyboard.

Edited by Wispsy, 24 September 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#52 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

With throttle decay, I'd actually prefer if you could increment up/down the throttle in a user configurable way. I'd pick 50% increments and call it good. Anyone know if that's in the config files?

#53 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 24 September 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Did you not read the post? I said "yesterday" which was the day before you asked.

View PostGhost Badger, on 24 September 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

Nice vid, Peef. I'm amused at the start with your 'Not completely sober' statement and your location being IUB...considering we're technically a 'dry' campus. Makes me grin every time :)

IUB is a dry campus only in the sense that alch isn't SOLD on campus. You can have it on campus, we even have dorms that allow alch. We also allocate specific areas of campus for drinking before football games. They even bring a DJ and stuff and 5k people are out there every weekend getting publicly wasted.

#54 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostWispsy, on 24 September 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Happens fairly often and I am not even on that much, although we do not always find games. On that note though I spent over an hour earlier searching without managing to find a single game in 4mans so meh.

Video is worth watching if you are new, good general tips. Explains what needs to be explained.

On the throttle decay I prefer to not use it as I adjust and leave my speed adjusted for a large number of maneuvering reasons and I am skilled enough at pressing x that I can do it at the same time as i let go of my W(although I do not really hold it much as I am lazy) so it does not give me a speed increase. It helps that I use left handed mouse though for ease of access on the keyboard.

Wispy and Peef - two of the best Jenner aces out there!

I'm like Wisp. I don't use throttle decay. I rebound X to V and have 5 bound to 50% throttle. These allow me to quickly use my index finger to tap these important keys. I also use my third finger for map - 3 - throttle decay would affect my viewing while maintains speed.

I also use ESDF rather than WASD. Matches my normal typing hand position and gives me extra keys to the left of the movement keys. Blame my formative quake years for this setup.

Frankly, most games I'm lazy and my hands are slow to do all the fine movements plus torso-twisting... I often set my throttle and get food at the beginner of a match. :)

Edited by MavRCK, 24 September 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#55 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Thanks for the video, I picked up quite a few things from it, it seems I am far too aggressive with my lights ;)

I was floored when I saw that you play with mouse and keyboard. Any particular reason you use the keyboard over a left handed joystick?

#56 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostMogney, on 25 September 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Thanks for the video, I picked up quite a few things from it, it seems I am far too aggressive with my lights :)

I was floored when I saw that you play with mouse and keyboard. Any particular reason you use the keyboard over a left handed joystick?

Always have used keyboard, and I don't feel limited in the slightest. So far as I can tell, all of the top players use keyboard.

#57 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 24 September 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Did you not read the post? I said "yesterday" which was the day before you asked.

IUB is a dry campus only in the sense that alch isn't SOLD on campus. You can have it on campus, we even have dorms that allow alch. We also allocate specific areas of campus for drinking before football games. They even bring a DJ and stuff and 5k people are out there every weekend getting publicly wasted.

It's there for the parents, lol.

#58 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostWispsy, on 24 September 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

KK, how exactly do you mean "it helps that I use a left handed mouse though for ease of access on the keyboard" ? please bear with me here, are you using a left handed mouse with your right hand or have you flat out flipped the keyboard to suit a left handed play style?

and to others. lol yes DV8 plays often enough to be seen :blink: much to most peoples chagrin.....why, we saw them just the other day :)
<S> Wipsy and Peef, MaV

#59 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

View Postlpmagic, on 18 October 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

and to others. lol yes DV8 plays often enough to be seen :blink: much to most peoples chagrin.....why, we saw them just the other day :)
<S> Wipsy and Peef, MaV

Wispsy, Mav and myself are no longer associated with DV8. I don't think DV8 plays or attempts to play 12 mans anymore after the breakup.

#60 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

View Postlpmagic, on 18 October 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

KK, how exactly do you mean &quot;it helps that I use a left handed mouse though for ease of access on the keyboard&quot; ? please bear with me here, are you using a left handed mouse with your right hand or have you flat out flipped the keyboard to suit a left handed play style?

&lt;S&gt; Wipsy and Peef, MaV

Ah well since that post I have left DV8! Lol :P I do still very much like to play 12s though.

I am ambidextrous. I use mouse with left hand. This gives the right hand resting on wasd more easy options. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users