Peefsmash's Light Video Guide For The Jr7-F, Jr7-D, Rvn-3L And Cda-3M (Aimed At Upper-Mid/high Level Players Who Want To Continue To Improve)

89 replies to this topic

#81 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Posttravelbug, on 26 October 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

i saw you take down a streakcat in the video.

in your opinion, is the streak-taro a legitimate threat to jenner f pilots that they should avoid? if not, how do you deal with them?

tia

They are a threat, but it depends on their health and mine whether I fight or not. If they are low health I don't mind fighting them because they will go down fast. Streaktaros are harder to fight than Streakcats because they're faster. If you have all the space and time in the world, you can try to fight them outside of the 270m range where they basically can't do anything...but like I said that's gonna take some time and some space.

#82 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

if i was a decent to good pug player and i wanted to make the jump to competition play, what major changes should i make to my game style?

#83 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

Find a team to work with. Dropping with the same group of players every time makes a world of difference. You get to know their tendencies (and they yours), so teamwork is pretty much automatic.

#84 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 26 October 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

Find a team to work with. Dropping with the same group of players every time makes a world of difference. You get to know their tendencies (and they yours), so teamwork is pretty much automatic.

yup i pretty much know this but i was asking about changes to personal gamestyle rather than specific group tactics. and yup i already have a group i run with.

#85 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

View Posttravelbug, on 27 October 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

yup i pretty much know this but i was asking about changes to personal gamestyle rather than specific group tactics. and yup i already have a group i run with.

I think the biggest differences in light play from pug to 12 man competitive is that you can't expect not to get hit, and that you have to win games with your legs and eyes, not with your guns. As far as getting hit is concerned, good players will smash you. You have to stay unseen or at least significantly out of range if you want to survive. That is the biggest single change. You try to remain as active as possible but you cannot make yourself a target or you will get one-shotted. Winning games with your legs+eyes means knowing when to go to cap, knowing when to fake going to cap, knowing when to commit to fights against other lights, knowing when to defend your base vs attacking theirs vs attacking the main force of the team, knowing when to be where to deflect attacks, knowing how to get the enemy lights to think there is an attack that needs to be defended, etc.

Lights are not all that powerful in any one place, but they are the most able to get to different places to present SOME power at least. Things like "picking off isolated mechs" is often trumpeted as a job of lights. This is true in pugs, but in 12 mans, it is the THREAT of getting picked off that is really powerful. The only things you will be picking off is other lights, and that isn't easy because they can run...It really is the threat of lights that is more powerful than the bite.

Here's an example. Let's say that I send my force of lights to the enemy base on good information that nothing is defending. Enemy team sends back 2 meds and 2 lights to fight my 4 lights, and we run. Then 2 minutes later, we send all 4 lights to base again, and again the enemy sends back the same force and we run. By now, lets say the base is half-capped. There are a ton of things you could do from here, but let me take one potential option. The next time another minute or two later, I send 1 light to base with the intention of being spotted by the enemy lights and meds which likely now are staying near their own base. I have that light report to me, and he says that the 2 meds and 2 lights are still on base, and that they are chasing him. At this point, I coordinate with the commander of the rest of our forces a full frontal push on the enemy main force, AND I send our 3 lights to be a part of this push, and they can because they didn't go to base this latest time. We just took a fight 11 mechs to 8, with our final light being able to get back and make it 12-8 before the enemy can even get their out-of-position lights and meds back to the battle. We should win that battle every time assuming equal skill, and we should win it a significant amount of the time EVEN IF the enemy is better at straight up fights... Now what did the lights do? Oh, only 200 damage each, touched cap but didn't finish it, and spent a bunch of time running away, but we won the game with our legs, not our guns. This kind of thing would not be possible in a pug match because of the lack of a centralized goal and centralized communication, but comes out quite nicely in 12s.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 27 October 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#86 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Great video PEEFsmash.
I mainly pilot mediums, and this video applies to mediums as well in terms of situational awareness, piloting techniques, build and general strategies.
Any plans to make a medium version of this or an appendix on how if anything in the video would be different for medium pilots?

#87 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostTiger Shark, on 27 October 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

Great video PEEFsmash.
I mainly pilot mediums, and this video applies to mediums as well in terms of situational awareness, piloting techniques, build and general strategies.
Any plans to make a medium version of this or an appendix on how if anything in the video would be different for medium pilots?

Right now I don't feel qualified to do such a thing. I don't really know if anyone is qualified to do so right now because nobody is having top competitive 12 man success in medium mechs. There isn't much in the way of medium strategies other than "go out there, soak up some damage when we push or when they push us, and....good luck!" If mediums ever become good, I might spend some effort learning them and seeing if they have a role, but right now they really don't. Streak Kintaros can be used to deflect lights...but at that point your job is literally to just sit around and wait for a light to show up.

I hate to paint such a grim picture of medium mechs, but they really aren't worth much to a team right now.

#88 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 27 October 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Right now I don't feel qualified to do such a thing. I don't really know if anyone is qualified to do so right now because nobody is having top competitive 12 man success in medium mechs. There isn't much in the way of medium strategies other than "go out there, soak up some damage when we push or when they push us, and....good luck!" If mediums ever become good, I might spend some effort learning them and seeing if they have a role, but right now they really don't. Streak Kintaros can be used to deflect lights...but at that point your job is literally to just sit around and wait for a light to show up.

I hate to paint such a grim picture of medium mechs, but they really aren't worth much to a team right now.

Thanks for the feedback PEEFsmash, great to get your perspective on things. I might dust off the Founder Jenner and Sarah Jenner I have in the mech bay now. I only play solo, so the medium situation isn't as dire and I don't think the compromised nature of mediums is truly exposed in PUG matches.
If I am honest with myself, I just don't have the hand and eye coordination to do well in a fast light in most cases. I am amazed at how inaccurate my aim is compared to some of the videos I have seen online of competitive matches as well as just simple mech control.
Looking forward to more of these videos in the future.

#89 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 24 October 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

Ah, Jenner-F vs Jenner-F is probably the highest skill fight in the game right now.

I do not go for legs initially, but I am open to the possibility of going for legs if by accident I hit leg quite a bit. Typically I want to go CT, and I don't go for diaper I just shoot at center mass of that huge boat of a CT. Shooting at the "grill" is often good.

One of the biggest things to remember in a duel is not to shut down. Honestly probably a third of jenner F duels someone shuts down and promptly loses. You have to know the percents that will shut you down and don't shoot until you are below them. Never turn your legs while firing, only torso. Position your legs before the shot so that you will be able to keep your full laser beam on them just by twisting your torso.

Excellent advice, and thanks! appreciate the community outreach here, good stuff. and great advice. see ya on the field of play.

#90 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

PEEF,
I got a question, what sort of mouse do you use and what settings (DPI / speed / accerlation, etc...)?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users