No Guts No Galaxy: Bryan Ekman Interview Trilogy Part 3 Notes

47 replies to this topic

#21 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well I wanted to wait till part 3 came out.

What a load of {Scrap}.

Every time I start to waffle on purchasing Phoenix/Sabre/Protector I read the bull spewed from Bryan or Russ' mouth and put my credit card away.

There is nothing good coming for us. It's all going to be mundane {Scrap}.

I might spend another 10 bucks during the next MC sale just to get some more mechbays, but they lost out on 20 to 30 times that amount from my "fun" budget.

These guys are completely inept. I wish I didn't grow up loving Mechwarrior and Battletech.

#22 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Appears from what was said in the podcast is that some gameplay features might only be unlocked for those that have a premium account.
I want to particpate in planetary capture CW, but I am not gonna pay cash to play it.

Edited by Ripper X, 08 September 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#23 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostRipper X, on 08 September 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

Appears from what was said in the podcast is that some gameplay features might only be unlocked for those that have a premium account.
I want to particpate in planetary capture CW, but I am not gonna pay cash to play it.

They've said this before, and the boards freaked and they backtracked. So this is just more of their lies.

I knew they were going to force us to pay for real lobbies.

#24 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

A Premium Account eh?
They can stick that one where the sun don't shine.
By then Star Citizen Alpha should be on track to keep me occupied until that one busts out. Right now I am sour, very sour on the whole crowdsourcing.

#25 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

<-- will never ever spend another dime on any "F2P" vaporware. Lesson learned.

#26 TOGSolid

• 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 08 September 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

vaporware.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

View PostHammerhai, on 08 September 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

A Premium Account eh?
They can stick that one where the sun don't shine.
By then Star Citizen Alpha should be on track to keep me occupied until that one busts out. Right now I am sour, very sour on the whole crowdsourcing.

******* lol.

I feel really bad for Chris that he has to put up with all the shitlords from this community.

Edited by TOGSolid, 08 September 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#27 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostPeiper, on 07 September 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

[in TT, inner sphere mechs cannot be changed at all, unlike in MWO where we can change a great deal.]

Oh great, yet another poor lost soul who doesn't quite know what they're talking about. Every time someone says this it goes to show how many players we have who only think they know how this works.
Oh course you could alter / customize an IS battlemech. You could change anything you wanted on it, but there were rules in place:

--------------THE FOLLOWING IS SUBJECT TO THE SCENARIO / CAMPAIGN BEING PLAYED-------------------------

Cost, above all else: You'd need the cash not just to purchase the item in question, but cash to pay for the alteration.

Availability: Doesn't matter how rich you are, if you can't find what you want, or the equipment needed to make the change, you're out of luck.

Time: Just like real life, a lot of refits and alterations take time. If you were playing a long campaign, based on a timeline, you may not even be able to do without the mech you wanted to customize.

Location: When you're on an enemy world, light years from base, with only mobile field bases to call home, you're going to have a tough time replacing broken armor, to say nothing of (as an example) gutting a mech, yanking it's engine out, custom-fabricating new hardware, changing a weapon system, and rewiring the whole thing. A lot of work had to wait until your unit was somewhere with a base/factory.

Ownership: most mechwarriors are hired/military soldiers. They don't own their mechs, they are assigned to them. Doesn't matter how cool mechwarrior Bob Smith thinks it would be to swap his two flamers for an extra medium laser, it's his CO's decision.

Hell, I've got some old TRO's around here that have blank load sheets in the back, for writing in what mech in your little army has what loadout.

I don't get what's so hard about this for everyone to understand, it's just like every other tabletop game ever made. You start off with a simple, crappy character, do a bunch of adventures, and **** yourself out in the spoils of war. You don't think someone makes a level 1 Elven archer, with leather clothes, no magic, no skills, and a simple hunting bow, and plans on playing the entire quest / lifetime of the character like that?!
Hell no! You's slap on that orkish armor you found in the futtbucker caves, You buy and equip that +20 sniper's bow, you'd get magical training from some creepy old dude in the middle of a swamp or some ****.
Or maybe you'd create a character pre-loaded with swag, because that's what the scenario called for.

Every time someone claims you couldn't customize an IS battlemech in TT, An angel gets it's wings ripped-off, rolled, and smoked by a hippie.
Please, please think of the angels.

#28 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostMajorfatboy, on 08 September 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Oh great, yet another poor lost soul who doesn't quite know what they're talking about. Every time someone says this it goes to show how many players we have who only think they know how this works.
Oh course you could alter / customize an IS battlemech. You could change anything you wanted on it, but there were rules in place:

--------------THE FOLLOWING IS SUBJECT TO THE SCENARIO / CAMPAIGN BEING PLAYED-------------------------

Cost, above all else: You'd need the cash not just to purchase the item in question, but cash to pay for the alteration.

Availability: Doesn't matter how rich you are, if you can't find what you want, or the equipment needed to make the change, you're out of luck.

Time: Just like real life, a lot of refits and alterations take time. If you were playing a long campaign, based on a timeline, you may not even be able to do without the mech you wanted to customize.

Location: When you're on an enemy world, light years from base, with only mobile field bases to call home, you're going to have a tough time replacing broken armor, to say nothing of (as an example) gutting a mech, yanking it's engine out, custom-fabricating new hardware, changing a weapon system, and rewiring the whole thing. A lot of work had to wait until your unit was somewhere with a base/factory.

Ownership: most mechwarriors are hired/military soldiers. They don't own their mechs, they are assigned to them. Doesn't matter how cool mechwarrior Bob Smith thinks it would be to swap his two flamers for an extra medium laser, it's his CO's decision.

Hell, I've got some old TRO's around here that have blank load sheets in the back, for writing in what mech in your little army has what loadout.

I don't get what's so hard about this for everyone to understand, it's just like every other tabletop game ever made. You start off with a simple, crappy character, do a bunch of adventures, and **** yourself out in the spoils of war. You don't think someone makes a level 1 Elven archer, with leather clothes, no magic, no skills, and a simple hunting bow, and plans on playing the entire quest / lifetime of the character like that?!
Hell no! You's slap on that orkish armor you found in the futtbucker caves, You buy and equip that +20 sniper's bow, you'd get magical training from some creepy old dude in the middle of a swamp or some ****.
Or maybe you'd create a character pre-loaded with swag, because that's what the scenario called for.

Every time someone claims you couldn't customize an IS battlemech in TT, An angel gets it's wings ripped-off, rolled, and smoked by a hippie.
Please, please think of the angels.

What is so hard to understand that the reasons you listed MADE it almost completly impossible and impractical to customize your mech in the IS?

Battletech lore has a diminishing low amount of custom mechs for very very few famous people. They where not a thing, they where not common and hell not a come along ******* of a mercanary would have custom rides.

Customisation as you yourselfe have listed up was a HUGE and IMPRACTICAL thing! Unlike common believe you could not just rip off the PPCs from a Calliope defense turret and use them to replace the guns on an awesome. You would have to remodel the entire gun hardpoint to fit a different PPC, including wiring, armor etc.

Thats like ripping out the graphics card/chip from a MAC and trying to make it work with your PC. Or running an emulator on your PC to play console games. Its technically "possible" but you will never get the performance you would get if you used the original device. (until years after the original console isnt even in production anymore... like happens now with the PsP)

Furthermore custom builds would need custom replacement parts wich if you used custom builds on a larger scheme would skyrocket your repair costs beyond good and evil.

In short: While customisation rules where fine and dandy for your little in house campaigns where you can decide to use addendum rules in official and most unoficial tournamanets custom builds where banned for reasons of balance breaking custom builds. Now i wonder why they would ban custom builds if it was so a-okay to have them... oh right.. because they completly rediciulus in an instant

So if someone says that Battlemechs where not customisable what he really means is that it never really happened in lore and that the handfull of custom mechs are the exemption of the rule.

Heck even friggin house lords most often used standard build mechs and did NOT have custom builds.

You know where you saw custom builds? In solaris.. where being flashy was more important then anything else and you never had to worry about repair costs and availability of custom parts if you where backed up by a major company. The bloodpit broke *** solaris pilots thought... they also never had custom builds. They couldnt afford them.

So while it is technically possible to own your own custom ride in the battletech universe it is not a thing.. it is unpractical, way to expensive, takes to much time and the military value gained is neglectable at best and hazardous for your unit at worst because if your custom ride gets damaged on an enemy world and operations are negatively impacted because you need to spend an extra week on repairing your fancy custom build do not expect anyone to hire you again, or survive long enough to make a name for yourselfe.

So again.. technically possible.. never really happened in lore.. only happened in mechwarrior games because they where single player focused and came out at a time where multyplayer was not really a thing and only an afterthought, so no one cared for balance.

And really.. comparing a multi million cbills expensive war machine of such complexity that almost 90% of the planets in the inner sphere dont even have the necesary facilities to properly repair a mech and "equipping a +20 bow to your elven archer"?

Heres a tip: One is a hand carried weapon for a roughly human sized person... and one is a warmachine with a HARDpoint. Hm.. i wonder where the difference is?

Edited by Riptor, 08 September 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#29 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

View PostMajorfatboy, on 08 September 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

While I appreciate the humor, I DO know what I'm talking about. And, yes, in TT, you could make any mech you wanted to. I did not go into detail what I meant because I was taking notes, rather than arguing trivia.

I meant that before dropping onto a world, a clanner could order his omnimech configured to the battle at hand, where an inner sphere pilot didn't have that option. He took what he had. In other words, omnimechs could be modified in the field (in a dropship), while standard mechs were typically configured only at the factory or at a base. What I am curious about, is whether Omnimechs will follow the set-list of configurations available in the TRO's, or if they'll be frankenmechs like what we have now in MWO? But don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about because I didn't explain it all.

#30 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Finally heard the pod cast, and everything sounds great except he didnt outright say that the scourge of invulnerable, all seeing, hideous, 3rd person view would be removed.

Or at least lowered to ankle height so that it really is a vanity cam and shows the size of the mechs and paint and so on, and removes the unrealistic and magical piloting ability.

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 September 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#31 Rasako

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

sounds like a ****** move to only allow people with premium accounts to setup private match functionality but whatever

#32 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Premium Account sounds alot like "Rent a Server" in Battlefield Online.
http://cdn.battlefie...free.com/en/rsp
I do not mind that terribly, pro guilds who want to create their own gaming environment and rules can have at it.

Regional server is always an issue.
If IGP sub-license the game to a region publisher, the new publisher will want to protect their investment.
This usually mean IP Block, but on the plus side you can expect MC rate and price to be lower to match that region's spending.
Example, $30 of MC is equivalent to 1 1/2 tank of petrol for my car(Suzuki Swift) in my country, that is quite high an entry barrier for people without a disposable income, ie: college student, teenager.

#33 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

MC rate can be lower or higher, depending on the region.

I DO HOPE that PGI doesn't take the greedy route and do a 1 USD : 1 EUR currency conversion for MC pricing in the EU.

While there are some high average income countries in the EU you also have a lot of lower income ones which get shafted by many publishers who do 1:1 currency conversions.

But, still good news that at least something is happening regarding regional servers.

#34 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostOpCentar, on 10 September 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

MC rate can be lower or higher, depending on the region.

I DO HOPE that PGI doesn't take the greedy route and do a 1 USD : 1 EUR currency conversion for MC pricing in the EU.

While there are some high average income countries in the EU you also have a lot of lower income ones which get shafted by many publishers who do 1:1 currency conversions.

But, still good news that at least something is happening regarding regional servers.

Yeah, it depends on the strength of the local currency vs the US Dollar.

Usually it is the local publisher that sets the MC rate and price, and they will want to make it accessible as wide an income group as possible.
Over here in Asia/Oceanic, the AUD$ is almost 1:1 to US$, but the other countries in the region are at a much lower exchange rate. US$1 is RM3.2 for me and even worst for Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Philippines.
If the local publisher choose to lower the MC rate to match the lower currency of most of the country in the region, Australian players might suddenly find themselves rich in MC in the game.

#35 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

thank you for posting this. great interview, nice to quickly read it.

and to all you guys whining and complaining and doomsaying...

if it's so bad, why are you still here?

#36 Vercinaigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 11 September 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

thank you for posting this. great interview, nice to quickly read it.

and to all you guys whining and complaining and doomsaying...

That is such a flawed attitude....keep saying that and one day rather than fixing problems, you'll be the only person here, talking to yourself...wonder how much fun waiting in que for 5 hours to get a game will be....very selfish thought process.

#37 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

How do hardpoints compare with omnimech design? Omnimechs in TT have things that can be changed about them, and things that are set, like engine size, armor value and type, etc... [in TT, inner sphere mechs cannot be changed at all, unlike in MWO where we can change a great deal.] In MWO (this is not final) its easy to adjust/set engine size, but they're more concerned about firepower and balancing that with the metagame.
This is kinda untrue.

A state run military cannot change their Weapon load out because they are streamlining their Supply costs and issue the Mechs you will use. But a Merc command can and does have more flexibility that that. Right now, We are Mercs, So "Da Rulez" are different.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 11 September 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#38 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 11 September 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

To say what is bad, to explain why it's bad, and to suggest how it could be improved.

I could also ask you - if it's so great, why bother with the forums? Just play.

#39 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

This is kinda untrue.

A state run military cannot change their Weapon load out because they are streamlining their Supply costs and issue the Mechs you will use. But a Merc command can and does have more flexibility that that. Right now, We are Mercs, So "Da Rulez" are different.

Right. Custom 'mechs aren't impossible, but the way we're used to customization in MWO right now, we basically already have OmniMechs in-game. I think the key constraint to non-Omni customization is time (and of course, you need the parts to replace). Depending on the amount of customizations it should take varying amounts of time to trick out your 'mech. It might take a few hours to replace a weapon system, but several days to do a complete overhaul (including swapping the internal structure and engine types) on it. That's several days where that 'mech is unavailable while the techs are working on it. (Good thing in MWO, every pilot can have a battalion of 'mechs available to them, not including a lance of trial 'mechs!)

The laws of supply and demand kind of go out the window without repair/reload too. There is no reason for anyone to not take their most expensive, equipment-laden 'mechs without the fear of facing the repercussion of having to deal with what happens when you mishandle that expensive equipment. Is that too much for new players to deal with? They probably shouldn't run with the most expensive gear until they can afford to maintain it (not just own it), but I'm not sure how to communicate something like that other than letting them see what happens when they break out the expensive toys they're not ready for yet. Perhaps a warning if they don't have enough funds to replace that 'mech if it gets completely destroyed.

Perhaps change the CBill payout with a 'base' amount derived from the value of the 'mech they're bringing to the field. That way if your 'mech gets completely obliterated (that is, every item and armor/structure point gone), but if your team still wins the match, you can still cover the cost of replacing that 'mech (plus any other bonuses).The more expensive the 'mech, the more expensive the payout, but they have to pay the damages to their own 'mech too. Cheaper 'mechs = lower risk/reward. Expensive 'mechs = higher risk/reward.

#40 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostRiptor, on 07 September 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

Serious? SERIOUS?

They are sooooooooooooooooooo freaking busy that NOT A SINGLE PERSON was able to get 5 minutes off to inform the forum pre patch that they dropped 1st person view only mode?

For how obliviously stupid do they take us to believe that nonsense?

You cant just say on one hand that ONE guy in THREE WEEKS shook 3rd person view out of his sleeve and on the other tell us that no one was able to get on the forum and tell people that you dropped the 1st person view que because YOURE TO BUSY BECAUSE YOU HAVE A JOB?

Its not like we didnt have 3rd person view on the test servers.. no sir.. never happened. Its not like the devs had 2 to 3 weeks of time to inform the community about their decision.. aparantly it was a last second decision that was made moments before the patch went life so there was no time to tell us because everyone was soooooo busy.

I... I dont even... WHAT?

Vacations! everyone is on vacation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users