#41 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostMajorfatboy, on 08 September 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Oh great, yet another poor lost soul who doesn't quite know what they're talking about. Every time someone says this it goes to show how many players we have who only think they know how this works.
Oh course you could alter / customize an IS battlemech. You could change anything you wanted on it, but there were rules in place:

--------------THE FOLLOWING IS SUBJECT TO THE SCENARIO / CAMPAIGN BEING PLAYED-------------------------

Cost, above all else: You'd need the cash not just to purchase the item in question, but cash to pay for the alteration.

Availability: Doesn't matter how rich you are, if you can't find what you want, or the equipment needed to make the change, you're out of luck.

Time: Just like real life, a lot of refits and alterations take time. If you were playing a long campaign, based on a timeline, you may not even be able to do without the mech you wanted to customize.

Location: When you're on an enemy world, light years from base, with only mobile field bases to call home, you're going to have a tough time replacing broken armor, to say nothing of (as an example) gutting a mech, yanking it's engine out, custom-fabricating new hardware, changing a weapon system, and rewiring the whole thing. A lot of work had to wait until your unit was somewhere with a base/factory.

Ownership: most mechwarriors are hired/military soldiers. They don't own their mechs, they are assigned to them. Doesn't matter how cool mechwarrior Bob Smith thinks it would be to swap his two flamers for an extra medium laser, it's his CO's decision.

Hell, I've got some old TRO's around here that have blank load sheets in the back, for writing in what mech in your little army has what loadout.

I don't get what's so hard about this for everyone to understand, it's just like every other tabletop game ever made. You start off with a simple, crappy character, do a bunch of adventures, and **** yourself out in the spoils of war. You don't think someone makes a level 1 Elven archer, with leather clothes, no magic, no skills, and a simple hunting bow, and plans on playing the entire quest / lifetime of the character like that?!
Hell no! You's slap on that orkish armor you found in the futtbucker caves, You buy and equip that +20 sniper's bow, you'd get magical training from some creepy old dude in the middle of a swamp or some ****.
Or maybe you'd create a character pre-loaded with swag, because that's what the scenario called for.

Every time someone claims you couldn't customize an IS battlemech in TT, An angel gets it's wings ripped-off, rolled, and smoked by a hippie.
Please, please think of the angels.

I've been saying this for months, glad someone else also recognizes. The only real exception in my mind is Endo Steel, you should never really be able to switch out your mech's structure.The difference is like removing your car door and replacing it, or a new windshield. Inconvenient but a tech can easily accomplish it. Removing the engine and putting in a new one? A little harder. Endo Steel would be like stripping everything off the frame, getting a new frame made of different material and reattaching all the parts. Not easy, and certainly expensive.

I especially agree with charging C-bills and down time for changing equipment.

#42 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 11 September 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

thank you for posting this. great interview, nice to quickly read it.

and to all you guys whining and complaining and doomsaying...

if it's so bad, why are you still here?

What's your definition of here? It's been two patches since I've logged in. It's been over 6 months since I've spent money on the game.

If by here you mean, why do I still post on the boards? Because the Jets/Pats game hasn't started, and I've run out of other things to read about.

Since Mechwarrior/Battletech is a hobby I still come here hoping to god PGI will figure it out.

Hasn't happened yet.

#43 sgt scout

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

View Postsgt scout, on 07 September 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

So are there people out there that still belive all this BS ? Its September, lets see if we even get news on DX11 let alone actualy seeing it. I doubt it.
Out of the list of goodies on the horizen DX11 is the closest thing to todays date they say will be implemented. Lets see if they deliver.

They wont knowing PGI and in my mind that invalidates every other "shiny" thing on that list.

Its like waving a carrot on a string and donkeys are still chacing that thing. Ha !

So i hear DX11 got pushed back from the test servers ................

Here guys, chase the carrot, come on, you can get it, keep chasing it, dont give up, we neeed you to belive in the carrot !!!

#44 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

Thanks Peiper for summing up the huge amount of info!

View Postsgt scout, on 15 September 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Here guys, chase the carrot, come on, you can get it, keep chasing it, dont give up, we neeed you to belive in the carrot !!!

Do you know the state of DX11 development?
NO?
What if you would only see purple elephants with yellow stars instead of mechs, because its bugged?
Would you go to the PTS and test it more than 10 seconds and risking your eyes pop out? :D
If it's not ready, they cant give us anything.
Even if they would tell us, "next week", you wouldn't believe them anyway, would you?

Edited by Reno Blade, 15 September 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#45 DragonsFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

View Postsgt scout, on 15 September 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Perhaps for some perspective; if they release too early with a known defect that they have found internally then they get slammed for 'rushing the patch and not testing'. If they delay release to correct internally discovered and verified defects, then they get slammed for 'here's the carrot and the stick, some people will believe anything, etc'.

So it doesn't really matter when they release a feature because some folks are going to give them grief regardless. Having experienced some of the defects that came about when DX11 was last pushed, I much prefer that they take their time and correct the issues they are seeing internally before pushing it out to the masses for large scale testing.

Edited by DragonsFire, 15 September 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#46 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Everytime I hear : <Feature> is in development and coming soon, I immediately think of LAST October when Bryan said we were going to get Dx11 next patch!

One year later, same exact story. Ignore everything they plan on putting in game unless its in the patch notes.

#47 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't understand the people who say "You're unhappy with the game but you're still here so stop whining." There are PLENTY of players that absolutely despise the direction, implementation, delays, deception, and overall state of this game that still play. Those that use that as a defense of the game never seem to take into account that just because a player logs on, posts in the forums, and even plays a game now and then is a HUGE difference than that same player whom, several months and even 2 years ago, wasn't just playing and posting, but more importantly SPENDING. It's a free game. I can log on and play from time to time but pgi makes ZERO money from me.

#48 StoneMason

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 92 posts
  • LocationKathil

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

Not to speak for other people but myself and a few of the most active guys in my unit are taking a bit of a break. It's a real shame, especially at launch time. On average they'd put in at least 4-6 hours a week, just for organised play. If we had basic community tools and lobbies, the average game time would only go up a little, maybe an hour but the overall time spent on MWO would go up exponentially.

We'd have people arranging faction battles in the absence of Community Warfare, competitive matches, live feeds and video being produced, more people in training, more conversation. An engaged Battlemech Battalion is a pretty efficient machine, especially when it's properly supported.

At some point with every f2p game you've got to make compromises between monetisation and player generated content. I think we've hit a bit of a brick wall here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users