- - - - -

Advice From A Vet For The New Player

9 replies to this topic

#1 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Greetings new warriors, and welcome to Mech Warrior Online. I am Summer Gleeson, a reporter for the MCN (Merc Net News). If you choose to follow the forums you may see me here and there reporting on various things but today it is about the greenhorn.

Fresh out of the academy you now find yourself on the horizon of entering a world shaped by battle and war. Though there is honour among us rest assured there will certainly be very little mercy shown, and you in turn will show little. You were born for this, bred for this. You are hungry and must now be fed with the blood of your enemies and the sounds of your weapons scraping metal in your wake.

You are a Mechwarrior now, so where do you begin?

Ultimately that is up to you Warrior. If you are resourceful you will read much and learn much from the community and as a result will not be brutally overwhelmed on your first few sorties and learn quick. If you are impatient however and have already taken your war machine to the front you have no doubt been sent to an early grave and your mech a scrap yard.

Sincerely, don't feel bad if that is the case, many before and after you will do the same and I actually rank among that number. I can tell you from my own experience however that it does get easier, and before long you will find that glory you are looking for.

The MCN news wishes to take the liberty of offering some helpful advice from one of our own. A Veteran of the game whom has been playing since it's closed beta days. This is not to say that he is the best of the best, nor is there anything you read from him that should be taken as undisputed or set in stone, it is merely some advise from one who has found success. Many have their opinions and different ideas but at the end of the day warriors, we find our own paths all by ourselves. Whether we find our niche by ourselves through heart and determination, or through the advise of those before us the choices we make 100% spell our future.

Every little bit helps however and I hope the MCN news and our Veteran player Levi Porphyrogenitus can help you in your Rise to Power.

First off I would like to thank Levi for joining us and taking the time to help with our effort here. I hope the jump in wasn't to bumpy!!

And now, a Q&A Without further ado:

Summer: Levi, you are a Vet of MW:O can you share with us how long you have been playing?Some of your stats to give our readers an idea of your experience? Drops? Confirmed kills? Anything you feel worthy to share.

Levi: I've been playing MW:O since maybe the mid Closed Beta period. I got my invite shortly before the Founders program was announced.

My Win/Loss record since the Open Beta wipe is 1,704 / 1,302.

My current KDR is 2.19, but it's dropped quite a bit in the last few months as I've been spending much of my play time helping out some newer players who I've introduced to the game. The breakdown is 3,423 kills to 1,565 deaths. I think I was running with just below 4.0 during Close Beta, and was around 3.0 maybe six months ago.

My best-performing mech for wins is my JR7-K at a 2.27 ratio, and for kills is my X-5 Cicada at 2.87.

My most-played mech is my AS7-D-DC at 15:52:06, at least since they started tracking that particular stat.

I also track in my forum signature the number of duels I've fought against Draconis Combine (House Kurita) mechwarriors, though I haven't been doing much of that for a while now.

My fondest accomplishment is likely from Closed Beta. I was in an Atlas fighting a duel with a light at our base. I killed it and found I was alone against 6 remaining enemies (my team killed one). I managed to take out 5 of them in sequence and then right at the end the last enemy Catapult and I killed each other and got a Draw. 7 kills in an 8v8 is fun to pull off.

Summer: New players start with a cadet bonus and generate a lot of C-bills for their first 25 matches only to be met with diminishing returns afterward. Many people often buy their first owned mech as quick as possible while others wait it out. The first 25 matches arguably being the most crucial to a new players beginning, if you had to do it knowing what you know now, how would you approach this?

Levi: I'd hold off until I had some kind of firm idea of what I wanted. The first thing I recommend is to spend plenty of time with a variety of Trial mechs. The goal there is to earn some c-bills to get a bit more freedom for that first purchase, while also establishing for yourself just what kind of mech you really want to pilot.

Key questions include the hard point layout (Lasers, Ballistics, Missiles), max speed, JJ capability, armor capacity, and arm type (articulated or fixed). The only way to learn what you like is to give it a try. Mechs are expensive, so it really pays off to find something that you know you'll like before you commit to a purchase. Plus, ever since PGI let Trial mechs earn XP it has become far less wasteful to drop in one of those instead of an owned mech.

Summer: Battlefield etiquette. The first few drops, that drop of sweat, the racing heart that is often followed by: "ok....now what!" and often run into battle with no clear idea. What guidance can you give in regards to how new players should integrate themselves with their team those first few drops to get a "feel" for things?

Levi: First, don't drop at all until you have looked over the controls (it's in the Options section of your client), gone through the new movement tutorial (thank you PGI!), and taken the mech you plan to pilot for a spin in the Testing Grounds to get a feel for how it handles and what it's capable of.

In the Testing Grounds, you should try playing around a bit with the default settings, but once you get comfortable I suggest moving away from 3rd Person View, turning off Arm Lock, and removing Throttle Decay. Play with those settings at leisure, since there are no consequences to Testing Grounds games. You might find that keeping one or another of those features activated actually helps you out, in which case you should feel free to keep it turned on, but all in all you can't get the most out of your mech until you can operate it without 3rd Person, Arm Lock, or Throttle Decay.

Once you do drop, assuming you are solo, try to watch for a group that looks like it's moving together. If you can find a 4-man premade lance and support it you will find yourself contributing a surprising amount.

If you have any questions about what to do or how to play, then the "y" button is the team-chat toggle. Let the team know that you're new and want some advice. Most players will be happy to help you out, though you will inevitably run into the occasional troll who tries to get you to alt-f4 yourself.

A few key things to remember: "r" is the target lock button. Whenever you are fighting somebody, press "r" until you see a red box appear around him. This helps you out, plus it lets your team know who you are fighting (and friendly long-range missile support to help you out).

When you do have someone targeted, note the letter code over his box. This is a designation assigned by your targeting computer as enemies are targeted. That letter code can make it easy to coordinate fire on the same enemy, assuming you have somebody on your team calling targets in chat (or are on voice comms with somebody).

Also, a targeted enemy will appear in the upper right corner of your HUD after a short delay. This shows what weapons he's packing, and where he's damaged. As you learn to mechanics of the game you can use this to your decisive advantage, targeting weak components and staying outside of the effective range of the enemy's guns.

Finally, be mindful of range and heat. LRMs and PPCs do 0 damage inside their minimum range (90m for PPC, 180m for LRMs. SRMs and LRMs do 0 damage outside of their maximum range (270m for SRMs and 1000m for LRMs). All other weapons do reduced damage past their maximum range, with energy weapons still doing some damage out to double their maximum, and ballistics still do some damage up to triple.

As for heat, every weapon you fire generates heat. If you get too hot your mech will shut down and start taking damage until it cools off enough. If you are running hot (there should be both audio and visual signals when your heat gets dangerously high), then hold off a bit on firing that extra weapon - unless you are going to die anyway, or can guarantee a kill by taking the shot.

Weapon groups can help a lot with both of the above. I like to set my weapon groups up with three criteria - range profile/flight profile (group things with similar behavior, lest you waste shots), aim point, and heat management. This maximizes accuracy with each weapon group while allowing for more control over your heat generation.

There's plenty more, but these forums have extensive new user guides. I heartily recommend that new players take a serious look at the guides and suggestions posted here.

Summer: The first purchase, Prices vary and some mechs are out of reach initially. How important is that first decision in regards to progressing beyond it, and in your opinion what should a new player consider when buying their first owned mech?

Levi: The first purchase can be pretty important, but if you do find that you've made a mistake don't worry. Keep experimenting with builds and you will eventually find something that you can at least get by with, until you earn enough to get something different.

As for what to buy, that goes back to my answer above. Try out as many different Trial mechs as you can while you save up the c-bills to get your own ride. If you find that lights are more your style, I recommend the Jenner or the Cicada (technically a medium, but it's a light at heart). They've got a bit more armor and firepower than the other lights, though the Jenner lacks ECM. Plus, those happen to be the two fast-movers that I pilot.

If you find that you want something big and powerful, the Stalker is reasonably friendly, though you should be careful with heat efficiency when modifying your build, and the Atlas is always a good choice. For heavies, the Catapult is versatile but can be a bit fragile, while the Cataphract is often tough and can take some pretty heavy firepower (though watch out for using an XL engine on a Cataphract - the payload gain can be huge but the risk factor is also immense). Jagermechs are perhaps the best direct-fire-support mechs around.

If you like a mix of all of the above, then the tough mediums (Hunchback, Centurion, Trebuchet, Kintaro) are a decent place to start, though the fast heavies (Dragon, Quickdraw) can do the job too. My preference is the Hunchback, as you get a lot of variety across variants between the 4G, 4P, and 4SP (my favorite Hunchback variants).

But once again, if you find that your first purchase was a bust, don't worry. Don't sell the mech until you absolutely have to, either, as you will get a pittance for it and might well find a way to make it work in the future. The best thing to do is to switch back to Trial mechs if you absolutely can't stand your purchase, or visit the forums and seek guidance on how to modify the mech to make it more to your taste. I know I am constantly swapping out weapons trying to find that key element of a mech build that makes it "click" with me.

Summer: Loadouts. Once we buy that mech the heart of things is to make it your own and customize it to your liking. We all have our favorites and our "cardinal rules" in how to go about customization. Can you share with us your approach to outfitting a new mech that will help a new player with the do's and don'ts ? And if possible what is your favorite mech build that you put on the field?

Levi: I tend to approach mech design in stages. The first thing I do after stripping a new purchase is determine the core role of the mech. For something fast (core role of Striker, Skirmisher, Scout, etc.), you might want a big XL (or if that's too pricey you might have to resign yourself to a smaller payload). For a brawler (core role of Brawler, Bruiser, Tank, etc.), you'll be designing around survival and short-range firepower. Sniper builds can sacrifice a lot to get more firepower on each shot.

Once the role is picked, think about how that role and the hard points present on the mech will interact. For scouts, you might find that small and medium lasers with a light missile system of some kind are all you'll be able to support. For fire support mechs, PPCs, light and medium Autocannons (2s and 5s), Gauss Rifles, and LRMs are all options. Brawlers love Ultra AC5s, AC20s, and SRMs.

Before you actually arm your mech, though, top off the armor. Max everything, and then shave off a bit at a time from the legs until you hit an even half ton. This might change later, but it gives a base line of remaining payload space for you to work around.

If you have the money, then for almost all builds taking the Double Heat Sink upgrade is necessary. It's 1.5 million c-bills for every mech, but outside a few extreme builds it's pretty much always required.

Once you have those basics figured out, start arming the mech. I prefer taking at least 2 tons of ammo for most smaller weapons (AC2s and 5s), and 3 or 4 for larger ones (AC20s and Gauss Rifles). Energy weapons need heat sinks rather than ammo, and for that pay attention to the heat efficiency bar on the left of the Mechlab. I prefer a 1.4 rating or better, though 1.3 is not prohibitive and I've even had success with far lower efficiency builds. Generally, though, unless it's a hit-and-run or jump-sniper build, more heat efficiency means more damage simply because you'll be able to fire more often.

Try to keep your ammo out of the side torsos and arms. The legs and head are prime locations, and the Center Torso is okay (though not ideal). If you do find that you have to put ammo in the arms or sides, add CASE to go with it. If you aren't running an XL, CASE will save your life if your ammo gets blown up by a lucky hit. If you bring a Gauss Rifle, put CASE with the Gauss (not the ammo).

After you have a core weapon payload established, see what kind of engine you can fit. You may find that you need to rework the core weapons to make room, or you may find that you've got plenty of space left to play with. Generally, the larger the engine the better for you, and I always hate dropping below a 250 rating due to the lost heat sinks (every 25 rating changes how many heat sinks the engine can hold; 225-249 is only 9, and you need 10 or more to make a valid build, so you're forced to put one elsewhere on the mech to make up the difference).

Once all else is in place, check how many critical slots you have remaining. If you have more than 14, consider getting Endo Steel, which will save weight and let you add more ammo, a bigger engine, or more heat sinks. If you still have lots of space (most lights for instance), then add Ferro Fibrous as well, which makes your armor 18 points per half ton instead of 16. It's a small change, but it can add up.

I can't really say I have a favorite build, though I've really been enjoying AC5s recently and have had good success with both a CTF-4X with 4 AC5s and a Medium Laser, and a JM6-S with 2 AC5s and 4 MLs. I also built a poor-man's Marauder using a CTF-1X, with 2 ERPPCs, 2 MLs, and an AC5. It's fun, though I'm not great with it.

Summer: And Now Levi, the floor is yours. Any last bit of advice from the perspective and overall experience of a battle hardened vet for the new player?

Levi: Be patient. Don't rush in heedlessly, as you'll more often than not find yourself observing after you turn a corner and get blasted by two full lances of enemies.

Communicate, even if it's just using team and lance chat ("y" for team and "u" for lance). Let people know that you have LRMs. Press "r" when fighting people. Don't be afraid to die for the team if your sacrifice wins the round, but don't suicide even if things look grim. I've had matches where my legged JR7-D has red internals and gets two kills on enemy Atlases and lives to the end of the match just because I didn't give up (and I shot pretty straight).

If you do die, Observer mode is there for a reason. Find somebody good to watch if you can, as they can teach you all manner of tricks. Even watching somebody bad can be a teaching moment, if only so you know what not to do.

Finally, have fun. Ignore the chat trolls, don't retaliate against accidental friendly fire, and remember that MW:O is a game first and foremost. If you find it a chore, take a break and come back later. If you get mad, take a breath and calm down. If something isn't working for you, don't take it personally, don't quit in frustration, step back and evaluate it. Dying doesn't hurt anything but your stats. Learn from your mistakes and you can only get better.

Well warriors, there you have it. Sometimes it can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel and rest assured there is plenty of advice out there that other vets like Levi can give.

Perhaps if they are willing they can comment further on this post with their own words of wisdom. If they choose to do so however I would ask it to not be in the form of a debate, that is not what this is about, but rather just your own hardened advice that can help our new blood among us join the brotherhood of mechwarriors. Help them to cross that line of becoming vets themselves and worthy of being either in our crosshairs and our next victim, or by our sides as a brother ( or sister ) in arms.

Once again, thank you Levi for your help and your time here It will certainly be a pleasure to one day fight by your side.

See you on the Battlefield Warriors and I hope to see our new blood among us scraping metal and raising H, E, double hockey sticks!!

Summer Gleeson
Merc Net News.

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

There is 1.5 tons of additional optional armor that you can put on your Mech. Super Elite pilots with highly optimized builds created after earning literally 100s of millions CBills after thousands upon thousands of matches probably do not need it. You don't need it if you are piloting a light or medium mech whose top speed is around 100kph (if you know what you are doing)

You just started! By definition you do not know what you are doing.

It is called AMS! It isn't optional. It isn't a thing that you expect your team to bring in a PUG match. There are three teams in a PUG match, the Red Team, You, and your other Blue Allies who we will just refer to as the French. Since you can't trust the French to be there when you need them the only sensible thing to do is bring your own AMS. This way you can shield the French with an Iron Dome when they have screwed up while also saving yourself around 6 points of damage out of every LRM30 salvo. Some of you might blink and say... "Why would I want to save the French from that LRM salvo they so richly deserve?"

MEATSHIELD!!!

The longer that lurmer is firing on them the fewer missiles and less time he has to fire at you. It is in your best interest to save yourself and the French from lurmers!

#3 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

Something I would have loved to have had when I started was the training grounds. Because I am a founder I may have had a mech to start but I would have loved to be able to drop in a practice environment prior to the real deal.

Use it and abuse it, become familiar with your mech (trial or owned) and the basic controls Like "R" to target and practice on those targeting dummies. Do not be fooled however with how easy they are to destroy, the real deal will be tougher and they will not be standing still. In terms of practice though a few rounds in the training grounds to get familiar with the game, your mech, and tinkering around with weapon systems a bit will make a huge difference.

In regards to weapons, take the time to look at their details in the mech lab when you equip something. Specifically their effective ranges and if they have a minimum range listed, An AC/2 for example may be able to deal damage from over 1200m and a pot shot is fine but to unload at that range is ultimately a waste of ammo. It is not always possible in the heat of combat but try to fight within the effective ranges of your weapons.

This post covers a lot of ground overall for the new player, nice to see.

#4 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

join a corp and learn from mature people.

F8L is open for recruiting ;)

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 09 September 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

join a corp and learn from mature people.

F8L is open for recruiting ;)

Problem is not all of us are social enough to WANT to join a group - while the general idea is good, I have found that doing things like that causes more problems for me than it solves - which is not to say I do not appreciate your post, but you have to keep in mind it doesn't always help to follow that advice. (wow that could almost definitely have been phrased better ;))

#6 Summer Gleeson

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

A shamless bump admittedly. Just wanted to put it back on the first page, I got some good feedback via private messages and it's only to help the new blood among us.

See you on the battlefield all.

#7 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

I would never put ammo in the legs, once the armor in the legs is gone, you have a good chance of it exploding and taking off your leg along with a good chunk and chance of your side torso, center torso, and engine.

I've killed way too many mechs from ammo being in the legs, don't do it.

Just stick the ammo in the side torso with CASE. That's what it's there for.

XLs can be nice, but you have a much higher chance of being taken out once a side torso is gone. That ammo you stuck in your arm to avoid placing it in your torso just exploded when the arm got taken off causing a crit reaction to your side torso blowing your expensive XL and your mech along with it.

#8 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostRyvucz, on 02 November 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

I would never put ammo in the legs, once the armor in the legs is gone, you have a good chance of it exploding and taking off your leg along with a good chunk and chance of your side torso, center torso, and engine.

I've killed way too many mechs from ammo being in the legs, don't do it.

I ALWAYS store ammo in the Legs. In a recorded, logged and analyzed 100 matches using mechs with a minimum of 5 tons of ammo and as much as 9 I died to ammo explosions twice out of 37 deaths. Only one of these was Leg ammo exploding, the other was a crit padded Side Torso Ammo Explosion.

Ammo should always be stored... Head>Legs>CT>Heavily padded side torso.

CASE is so close to totally useless I wonder why it is even in the game.

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostscJazz, on 02 November 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

At a 10% chance of an ammo explosion even after the stuff gets destroyed I agree on CASE
On the other hand:
Exception to the quoted part -
Mechs like the Jager or Locust that have such tiny arms, that they are unlikely to get hit make quite possibly better ammo dumps than the legs or CT.

#10 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostscJazz, on 02 November 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

I ALWAYS store ammo in the Legs. In a recorded, logged and analyzed 100 matches using mechs with a minimum of 5 tons of ammo and as much as 9 I died to ammo explosions twice out of 37 deaths. Only one of these was Leg ammo exploding, the other was a crit padded Side Torso Ammo Explosion.

CASE is so close to totally useless I wonder why it is even in the game.

Never had an issue with CASE and ammo in the side torso for me.

Must be lucky to never die of an ammo explosion with CASE in use.

Especially if you decide to flip that shutdown override with ammo in the head. (POP)

But hey, if it works for you, go for it. =)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users